Official Review: The China Connection by AjJ Basinski

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Official Review: The China Connection by AjJ Basinski

Post by Mouricia Allen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The China Connection" by AjJ Basinski.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The China Connection by AJ Basinski is a political suspense novel about Lieutenant Mario Morales on a quest to solve a life or death case. His new wife, Sun Li, is brutally attacked while they are on a cruise and Morales will go to any length to find and punish her attacker. His search takes him to her hometown of Shanghai, China, where he discovers a shocking aspect of her past. It is also here that he stumbles into a political and criminal situation, way bigger than he would have imagined.

I was pleasantly surprised with the format of the book. The story was told from different character's perspective and that made it quite an interesting read. What I loved, even more, was how organized it was, and this prevented me from any confusion. Each new chapter was the viewpoint of a different character; and if the character was from the previous chapter, the current one would contain a different issue or plotline.

The story had many twists and turns which made it even more intriguing. I quite enjoyed that the minute I think I have figured out something, it changed, and not in a, it happened because it can way. Everything was done in a very realistically and without any visible plot holes. There was much information provided in the books that helped to give some background on both the main and secondary characters.

I was always on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next. I loved all the suspense and the little twists, and they made this book an absolute page turner for me. I was able to finish the book in one sitting because of just how hungry I was for more.

I was however very disappointed by the ending. It was clean and to the point, making it was very abrupt. I would have liked more details regarding the outcome of the various situations that arose. Instead, it ended in a way similar to writing a report, versus how you would end such an amazing novel.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, because other than the abrupt ending, I had no issues with it. I thought it was a great read and there were no obvious errors. I would recommend this book to readers of political or suspense novels or a combination of both. It also makes for a good weekend read, especially since it is such a short book.

The China Connection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mouricia25's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Whaow, I would love to know how many pages this book is, I am so moved by the fact that you finished it in one sitting.. It must be an awesome read from what you have spelt out here..

Nice one, thanks for the Exposition...
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I like it when the plot prove me wrong when I think I have figured out something. Your review made this book appealing to me. I don't mind the risk of abrupt ending though. Great review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I love a book full of twists and turns throw in suspense you got me glued. Thanks for the review its great.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

With the exception of the abrupt ending, I love everything you described in your review. Some of the best books I've read are those with twists and turns, just when I thought I had it figured out. I also really like that the book includes narratives from the different characters' perspectives. I recently reviewed a book with that type of format, and it really added depth to the characters, as well as the overall story. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad the ending was so abrupt. It definitely sounds intriguing with the new wife being attacked on a cruise. Thanks for the review, but I have too many books on my list right now. I might return to this one later.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

You had me really excited to read the entire book until the ending. Endings really do make or break a book; I recently read another novel that I would have listed as one of my top 10 favorites...but the ending was awful.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Pretty exciting that you finished it in one sitting. Sounds like a book that really draws you in with all the mystery and the suspense. Thanks for the review, can't wait to get to this read.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This sounds like another very intriguing story on murder and secrets. Thank you for a great review.
jeremino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jeremino »

I love this book full of twists and turns throw in suspense you got me glued thanks for the review its so nice and wonderful
aribear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aribear »

I would be mad too if the book I was reading and enjoying ended too quickly. But I like your review. Made me want to read the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”