Review by Albrooks20197 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Albrooks20197
Currently Reading: The Shack
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albrooks20197.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by Albrooks20197 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Albrooks20197 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Then I Met Margaret was an excellent read. I typically don’t read a lot of non fiction, but the description of the book piqued my interest so I thought I would give it a shot. I was not disappointed! A lot of times, these “self-help” and “motivational” type books are broad and vague, not offering a lot of real life advice. You can only take repeating the mantra “find your inner self” so far. Rob White humorously pokes fun at those types of gurus and instead focuses on real, uplifting stories. It is such a positive read that leaves you feeling hopeful. I give it a four out of four stars.

The thing that I loved most about this book was how it was organized. It is in chapters like a regular book, but each chapter is only a few pages, so you eat up this book in bite sized pieces. I read this in-between classes or right before bed when I wanted a quick read before dozing off. Each chapter starts with a myth and then goes into a story about what the truth to that myth really is. One of my favorites from the book started with the myth: “Kindness is an act of self-interest”. White launches into his story of how meeting one man changed his perspective on what it means to be kind and generous. By the end of the chapter, we are left with the truth: “Kind acts demonstrate the height of love”.

There were a lot of quotes that stuck with me throughout the book. Without giving away any spoilers, one in particular stuck with me because I am a student who is working hard through my college years. One of his pieces of advice is: "Say to yourself, 'I'm smarter than I think I am,' when you brush your teeth, when you get on the bus to come to school, when you enter each classroom... and begin acting as though it is so". When I'm sitting in my biology class, struggling to understand neuroplasticity, I remind myself of this story and tell myself I'm starter than I think I am. The fact that it has effected me in my daily life is why it's worth four stars.

The most powerful part of this book was that it focused on finding the answers to life’s questions through every day people. Reading all about life from so-called experts isn’t necessary when life lessons surround you. As I was reading, I, personally, became more aware of the people around me and what I could learn from others. His lessons are straight, to the point and easy to apply to everyday life. By using stories about regular people as teaching tools, it’s easy to relate to. It’s motivational, without being too gimmicky or over the top.

I give Then I Met Margaret four stars because it is well written, easy to read, and inspirational. This is the perfect book to pick up if you’re feeling bogged down by negativity. Turn off the negative news channels, get away from the negativity on social media, and read this instead. These sweet stories will restore your faith in humanity and remind you that there is a lot of good in the world if you just look for it.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Albrooks20197's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

[quote=Albrooks20197 post_id=811147 time=1516340527 user_id=412464

The thing that I loved most about this book was how it was organized. It is in chapters like a regular book, but each chapter is only a few pages, so you eat up this book in bite sized pieces. I read this in-between classes or right before bed when I wanted a quick read before dozing off. Each chapter starts with a myth and then goes into a story about what the truth to that myth really is. One of my favorites from the book started with the myth: “Kindness is an act of self-interest”. White launches into his story of how meeting one man changed his perspective on what it means to be kind and generous. By the end of the chapter, we are left with the truth: “Kind acts demonstrate the height of love”.

[/quote]
Thanks for the great review. I also really liked how this book was organized. The formula he used was very effective. I felt he overused it a bit, but many of the stories were compelling and inspiring. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but I liked many aspects of it. Please check out my review. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting review. You pointed out many positive aspects of the book and how you are incorporating them in your life. Thanks. Hope your studies are going well!
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Plot seems appealing. And your review depicts it very well .
Moreover, I find title 'And Then I Met Margaret' quite attractive.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I too really liked And Then I Met Margaret. I liked how you mentioned that you learned how to look at people differently and how they may be teaching you something. We can think and say positive things about ourselves to be and do better than we think we can.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I already review this book, and as you wrote in your review I become more aware of people in my life path. I enjoyed the way the chapters were organized, mainly how each chapter starts and ends.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”