Review by Audrey1998 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Audrey1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audrey1998.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Audrey1998 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Audrey1998 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni is a superhero with superhero powers. But when he's not saving the world, what is he doing? Is he being a lazy bum who's mean and grumpy? Or is he being a helpful and busy beaver? Find out what he likes to do on his day off, maybe a cool superhero is just like you!

"Toni the Superhero" is a children's book that is written by author R.D Base and beautifully illustrated by Debbie Hefke. This picture book is specifically targeted towards children ages 4 and under to help them learn how to read independently. It's a short picture book filled with big illustrations and short sentences.

What did I love about this children's book? Answer: all of it! There were so many amazing factors and small details that make this picture book a one of a kind. Firstly, I really liked how relate able Toni is to (hopefully) the children who read this book. Toni enjoys to do productive, helpful and fun tasks that benefit himself and others around him. He does tasks such as cleaning, eating healthy and exercising! Toni is a wonderful role model to all of the children who read this book. It also helps that Toni's character is not Caucasian, and the characters are very diverse in race.

This brings me to my next point, the details! In almost all of the illustrations, there is a fruit or a vegetable. Toni is also wearing his super suit in the entire book, which is a good detail to have incorporated in the picture book as it helps the readers (children) to connect that Toni is an ongoing and main character. The illustrations are also big, noticeable, and take up the entire page! There also is texture in the drawings, which is a really nice addition. If I'm discussing the illustrations, I must also discuss the text. There is one sentence on each page. Each sentence is short and crisp, and it has no "big" or complicated wording. This is very appropriate to the children readers who are learning how to read.

Overall, I would rate this children's book, 4 out of 4 stars. I choose this rating because I thoroughly enjoyed this picture book as I believe it to be very developmentally appropriate for children learning how to read. The sentences are short and crisp, and the illustrations are huge and noticeable. Toni is also a great role model because his "ordinary" tasks are tasks that are beneficial to the child's overall healthy development. I am currently enrolled in an Early Childhood program in a university. There have been a ton of courses that I have taken that discuss what a "developmentally appropriate" book looks like for children of all ages. If my university had this book as a hard copy, it would be one of the strong examples. I would want this book in my preschool or kindergarten classroom.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Audrey1998's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”