Review by anwidmer -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by anwidmer -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by anwidmer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you found out you had one week to live what would you do? This is a question posed long before this book was published. The situations presented range from the extreme decision to kill those who wronged you, to simply ending your life before fate can take it from you. Would you be able to calmly get your affairs in order? Or, like me, would you absolutely panic? I think I would, but eitherway how can one really know before actually faced with the situation? This is the main issue identified in the Final Notice.

A special program held by the NRA lends discounts to the AARP member demographic. Trudi and Vince happen to be a part of that demographic despite feeling younger than their years. Vince has recently been a victim to crime on the elderly and is shook by it. Can they really be thinking of owning a gun now? Vince sets out on a mission to “reconnect” to the world via the internet and buys a new tech toy, a mac book pro. Vince begins his research. He finds what are staggering statistics related to the over 65 age group and gun ownership. Now they must face the reality of the new world they live in.

Meanwhile, Vijay has discovered his own new “tech toy”, but on a larger scale. Already through the Alpha testing section of its roll out, the VT2 is a watch device with a unique ability. An ability never seen before. The ability to predict the end of ones life within 30 days. One can choose to be notified then, or in less time, such as a day or week. His excitement to get the watch on the market is dampened by some incidences where the “final notice” proved dangerous and controversial. That is to say the least and to avoid possible spoilers.

Fleisher is great with characterization. He writes of more relatable and endearing characters, like Zoe the rising FBI star with a double BA in Psychology and Criminal Justice, as well. I found myself drawn to them and their various decisions or opinions circling the gun debate and the aspects of the final notice feature. Thinking along the way very seriously about what my own opinin would be. The author also uses good transitioning. Whether it be from conversation to thought, or from one character's story to another’s. I didn’t find myself juggling too many character details, rather finding myself with just enough to stay engrossed.

One thing that deterred me at first is this book was written from a political “left" position. I tend to disagree with most arguments from the left, including gun ownership and regulations. I kept an open mind, however, and would urge those second guessing it to do the same. I’m glad I did because despite political affiliation, the plot was deep and complete. Final Notice was an intriguing concept executed wonderfully. I loved the various issues in today's world that Fleisher forces us to face.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars! I noticed no errors, and it was very well written. I would recommend this book to my suspense reading friends first. I would also urge political aficionados to check it out regardless of political affiliation. I would probably stay away if your one to avoid the news and don’t care for politics.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like anwidmer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Well done on keeping an open mind. That's definitely not easy to do, especially when the author is so clearly biased :)
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Bianka Walter wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 16:54 Well done on keeping an open mind. That's definitely not easy to do, especially when the author is so clearly biased :)
Great review!
Agreed! Was a tough thing to do at first but i just cleared my mind of my own bias before starting it. I didnt want to go into it feeling the need to second guess the authors motives. It worked for me. Others may have a hard time. Id say the far right should pass on this one! lol
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review! This seems like a fast-paced read, and I'm glad that you enjoyed it, despite the author's biased preferences.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I applaud you for keeping an open mind! Thank you for the great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Thanks for your honest review, I am looking forward to reading this book. Is already on my list of "want to read". The plot is engaging and original.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

onixpam wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 08:51 Thanks for your honest review, I am looking forward to reading this book. Is already on my list of "want to read". The plot is engaging and original.
Yes, it is! I have SO many books on my " want to read" list lol thank you for the comment!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Thanks for your review. When I realized the book was written from the left, I pretty much immediately decided not to read it, thinking I wouldn't be able to make it through. But if you were able to keep an open mind and enjoy the story, maybe I can too :)
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3037
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a wonderful review. Thanks a lot for it and congratulations as well. The question is very hard to answer but the good thing is that it has never happened. The bias seems to affect much in the book though. Hope to read this soon.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
madoch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by madoch »

I already have this book on my "want to read" list. Thanks for your honest and excellent review because it makes me look forward to reading this book. :tiphat:
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

This book is on my reading list since a few days, the more reviews I read, the more I want to read it. Thanks for the review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”