When did you learn to read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
complimentarymatters
Bookshelf Size: 0

When did you learn to read?

Post by complimentarymatters »

When did you learn to read? How old were you? What do you think is the average age?
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

I think I was six. I remember reading basic books in first grade. I have been a nerd ever since! :D
awelker

Post by awelker »

I've been reading ever since I can remember. I can remember my mom teaching me how to write and reading me stacks of books. I think i was about four when I started reading. It could've been me memorizing the books but i still consider it reading.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I was probably 5 or 6, I remember the Dick and Jane books.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

About 5, pretty much the average first school year. I vaguely recall the primers then, around 10, reading the heavy stuff like Agatha Christie.....ooooohh.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I remember when I was about 10, I got a book at the library, something about people going into the past and bringing dinosaurs into modern times. The flashy cover is what attracted me, pictures of dinosaurs chasing people, half-naked ladies and so forth. My mom and dad said it was too mature for me, I wouldnt understand it. It was an adult book, written for adults. I dont even remember the name of it or the author, but it was a really cool book, I really liked it. I think I read it in 2 or 3 days. That was about the time I graduated from Uncle Wiggley.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

I don't have a clue when I started learning to read. All I remember is that my parents asked me to read as much as possible - mainly because I live in an English-speaking country while my parents speak another language.

I reckon that the youngest would 'look' at books rather than understand them. My parents said that I have been 'reading' books since about two, but I think I was only looking at the pictures. I don't really remember where or when I actually started to read ...
:D Enjoy your day~
Ant
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

When i was about 5 I think, I'm from a big family......all avid readers. I remember reading Bobby Brewster books when I was very young....seems like a life-time ago :D
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

My whole life, every where you go you read something. I discovered the word "Cautious" of a sign, I discovered the word "Participate" from a board. You can learn new words from anything and everything.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Bookworm2011

Post by Bookworm2011 »

I don't remember when I learned to read but I always remember people asking me to read cards from birthdays (even when it wasn't my birthday) I know I was pretty young, like 4ish. It was weird being the center of attention but at the same time it was fun, I got to learn to read from a big group of people.
talia_in

Post by talia_in »

I have been reading since I was in thee first grade :D
DeadPiccolo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deadpiccolo.html

Post by DeadPiccolo »

Kindergarten, but I picked up my first novel, Harry Potter, in second grade.
Tigania
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigania.html
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell

Post by Tigania »

I started reading at 1 and a half. I was the last kid picked up at the nursery school, and I had to wait about an hour a day after the other kids were gone. With my parents' permission, they taught me to read.
I taught my son when he was 2 years old. Peoples' expressions were priceless when this little boy would read a sign out loud!
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell
Namrata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namrata.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Namrata »

I learned to read as soon as I could put words together. It was the best experience ever.
aaronhattle
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaronhattle.html
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White

Post by aaronhattle »

Oh God, it's been so long now that I can't even remember. I guess quite early on.
Latest Review: "Memes of Loss and Devotion" by Darren White

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”