Official Review: Rethinking Possible

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Official Review: Rethinking Possible

Post by Kathryn Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rethinking Possible" by Rebecca Faye Smith Galli.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rethinking Possible by Rebecca Faye Smith Gali is a heartbreaking and thought-provoking autobiography that highlights the real-life problems of tragedy, loss, grief, and pain, especially from a mother’s perspective. A well-written, profound book, it appeals both to those who have gone through such circumstances and those who wish to understand a little bit of what it feels like.

Anything is possible, right? At least, it would be in a perfect world. Rebecca Faye Smith Galli had an idyllic childhood, growing up with the perfect family, the perfect life, in her eyes. But in a flawed world, life rarely stays perfect for long. One day, while she was at college, Galli received a phone call from her father, telling her that her brother Forest had been severely injured in a skiing accident. Forest died a while later, affecting Galli immensely.

Later in her life, she started to experience tragedy after tragedy, from miscarriage, children with special needs, divorce, death, and her own health issues that caused her to be paralyzed from the waist down. Struggling through the never-ending tide of devastation in her life, she started to wonder if she would ever get through it. She began to write about her life, in the form of emails she sent out to a few friends. Those few friends turned into an entire list of readers who subscribed to her list, reading her unique perspective on her life and supporting her with their presence. She finally started to accept her life as it was, not as she wished it could be, and began noticing the things that were still possible for her. She started “rethinking possible” and realized that she could be content with the life that she still had. “Life isn’t about what you’ve lost,” she wrote. “but about what you’ve learned – and what you do with what you have left.”

There was almost nothing I disliked about this book. It was very well written and impeccably edited – I only found one grammar mistake, a missing comma that could easily have been overlooked. The way the story was arranged was slightly confusing at the beginning because she would switch between describing events in her story and explaining those events by flashing back to her childhood. It worked very well in terms of helping the reader understand the story, but I did notice the switching back and forth. But compared to a lot of books I’ve read, that’s nothing, not even an issue at all.

I loved the author’s writing style, which flowed well and was easy to read while still describing exactly what she was thinking and feeling at the time. The story for the most part moves in chronological order, with occasional flashbacks to a previous experience to help the reader understand the event in question, like I mentioned earlier. Galli was very detailed and really made me feel in a way the anguish and uncertainty that she was feeling at the time – the book is very emotionally oriented, and does its job well. I was pleased with this book and feel that it could not have been done any better.

I rate Rethinking Possible 4 out of 4 stars – I enjoyed it very much and would recommend to everyone. It was an incredible, heartfelt, and hopeful book that encouraged me and made me want to share the story with everyone around me. And the best thing about this book is that you can apply the principles that Galli discovered to your own life – no matter what has happened to you, you can learn to be content with what you can still do – rethink possible and make the most out of what you have.

Rethinking Possible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kathryn Price's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
philip_okolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by philip_okolo »

The book is very interesting, it really profounds what thinking possibility can really do for you, no matter what the condition of life you sees yourself into, make positive use of it.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like an inspirational autobiography! I look forward to reading it and discovering the wisdom that is applicable to my life as well.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very inspiring and positive book. I love the unique format that this one takes. I also enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like the author had a lot to overcome. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"I rate Rethinking Possible 4 out of 4 stars – I enjoyed it very much and would recommend to everyone. It was an incredible, heartfelt, and hopeful book that encouraged me and made me want to share the story with everyone around me. And the best thing about this book is that you can apply the principles that Galli discovered to your own life – no matter what has happened to you, you can learn to be content with what you can still do – rethink possible and make the most out of what you have."
High praise! I'll be reading this one - I love the message and the rawness of it. What a brave book! Thanks for the recommendation.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I can imagine so much motivation in this book; it's great knowing this happened in someone's life and it's been used to teach us awesome lessons... It's a must read for me..

Thanks for this beautiful review!!
Slickalphy
Currently Reading: 4 Shots
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Slickalphy »

Pain they say sets us back but it also gives the strength to push forward if u can survive through it. The book is giving me the chills but I'll so love to read it, maybe it will make me feel better in my situation right now.
Klaris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Klaris »

Re: official review: Rethinking Possible
By Claris

I look forward to reading this book. Sounds inspirational
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really love the title, and that it is a reflection of the author's approach to dealing with so many hardships in her life. Though I haven't read the book yet, your interesting review leads me to believe I have much in common with Galli. While my goal is to live daily from a place of gratitude, an inspirational reminder is always a good thing. I enjoyed your review!
Githumaina19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-githumaina19.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Githumaina19 »

I have to agree with the reviewer's perspective on the book,perspective is everything and I also like the cover of the book with a compass it shows clearly how easy it can be to change ones perspective
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It really all comes down to attitude. Just from reading your review, her burdens seem enormous. Being able to triumph over all that is even more surprising. Sounds like a truly inspiring book. Great review! Thanks.
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

'Life isn't about what you've lost, but about what you've learnt'. This sentence has really spoken volumes to me. Love the fact that this book is educational and available to all. In life, we go through many ups and downs but this book has particularly taught me to stop crying over my misfortunes rather to embrace them as I may yet find a way out of my misery. Love and appreciate your detailed review. Nice work!
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I love this!

“Life isn’t about what you’ve lost,” she wrote. “but about what you’ve learned – and what you do with what you have left.”

Words to live by for sure! I have a debilitating condition and often have to remind myself to stop focusing on what I have lost or what I can no longer do. I have to find ways to still enjoy life as much as possible. This book sounds like a great read especially for someone like me. Thank you for the wonderfully written review!
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Githumaina19 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 13:46 I have to agree with the reviewer's perspective on the book,perspective is everything and I also like the cover of the book with a compass it shows clearly how easy it can be to change ones perspective
I always say perception is reality. These type of books help to change ones perspective and thus their reality, and in a positive way! Kudos to the author and all she has overcome!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Wow. This seems like such a wonderful and inspiring book. The title is certainly eye-catching, and it is good to know that the message in the book really supports the title.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”