Review by Spontaneo -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Spontaneo -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Toni The Superhero, by R. D. Base, illustrated by Debbie Hefke, a child doing good, clean and innocent activities is encouraged. The main character is a child much like any child in society today. He thinks positively. The author explains how the main character teaches things a parent would want their child to learn and do. Every chapter has easy, bright and very descriptive illustrations, bringing the book to life. So, those who cannot read can learn just as much.

First of all, make sure the child knows how to spell their name, just in case. What if they were not with a parent and needed help?

Following, make sure the child has role-models and dreams, so that they may be outstanding citizens. For Toni, a made up role-model was his dream. The book teaches even made-up characters in your child's mind is OK, as-long-as they are positive, for example, not some drug dealer. Does the child take interest in books? Doing so stimulates creativity. If your child cannot read and you can, read a story to them frequently, especially at bed-time.

Maybe your child would like an animal, such as puppies or kittens? Then, animals are good companions for children, teaching responsibility. The main character just might spark some interest in this area.

At an earlier age, a child may not be able to spell, however, writing down whatever they please is still a good way for them to express themselves, even coloring. They say adult-coloring books decrease stress. Can you imagine what writing and coloring does for children? Maybe this could be a unique way for a child to communicate. What if the child has an undetected learning disability? This way, you can detect by other means than talking.

Many children do hard work from the get-go never having any "me" time. Let children be children! In these days of high technology, children grow up so fast, never getting to be a child. The main character does not have a laptop, a cell phone, a tablet, etc. The main character is totally technology-free. Then, playgrounds are super for all types of childrens' form of outlet and even a large backyard may let them get some fresh air and exercise. What ever happened to jump rope, hide and seek, tag, etc.? Maybe if the main character likes to play with other kids, your kid can learn to do the same. Interaction with other kids can encourage sharing and caring, as opposed to being bullies and forming into cliques. Although hard work is extremely discouraged, little chores are encouraged, such as helping out Mom or Dad. Maybe if the main character likes to do chores, your child might want to do chores too. Doing little chores also makes a child feel important, and children are important! Provide a little treat for a job well-done.

Children are obviously growing and need nourishment. For example, children need milk. Does your child like fruits and veggies? Maybe if the main character likes healthy food, even a lunch meat sandwich if your child is picky, your child just might like healthy food that they were a little leery of eating. Children also need plenty of rest, especially to function from day to day. Eventually, poor sleep habits will effect school work even in pre-school and kindergarten.

With all of the above, your child will be on their way to becoming a productive and ambitious kid! A superhero is just that, a person or anything that can do any good thing. They don't do drugs. They don't use foul language. They are not disrespectful. They follow a good life just like Toni shows us. Hopefully parents will see the good-quality of this book. All in all, Toni really is the superhero by sharing with other children what is really available for any child. Some children don't have good parents, so I hope this book by R. D. Base will fall into the right hands to help. I give this book a star rating of 4 out of 4.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Spontaneo's review? Post a comment saying so!
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
Jslanning
Currently Reading: How to Hang a Witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jslanning.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jslanning »

Wow, what a descriptive review! I can honestly say that the things you have listed here are things we use in my daughter's daily activities. She suffers from anxiety and all of these positive ways to use creative expression have helped us be able to help her. I can't wait to share this book with all of my children. Thank you for sharing! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”