Official Review: Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage" by F. Richard Allen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage gives an exciting sneak peek into life in old Texas and some of its neighboring towns. However, please note that this story is fictional, so Google may have a hard time finding some locations mentioned in this book.

Clarence Withers is on the run. He has just murdered one of the notorious Kilgory brothers for cheating at a poker game and must flee for his life. Isidro is a witness to this murder. Separately, Clarence and Isidro make their way into the peaceful town of Normal and settle there. In typical fashion, Clarence wins at poker tables, upsetting the local gamblers. When he hears the Kilgory brothers are around, he promptly lets the local sheriff know they have come in search of him (Clarence), and why. The brothers make their way to the sheriff’s office as is the custom for everyone coming into Normal, and in the ensuing gun battle all but two of them are killed. Sheriff Dan Cooper hangs the two survivors the next day, against the wishes of some townspeople. Will this decision come back to haunt him, his family, and the erstwhile peaceful town of Normal?

This book comprises three stories intertwined and told as a single tale, with events in the town of Normal taking center stage. Isidro is a young Indian who has left his home and tribe in the Sierra Madre Mountains in search of greener pastures. Clarence Withers is a professional gambler who kills a cheat at a poker game gone sour. Unfortunately, this cheat is part of a local gang of ruffians who are now determined to avenge their brother’s murder. And Daniel Cooper is an ex-soldier who becomes the new sheriff in the town of Normal after the previous sheriff is shot dead while trying to clear up one of Clarence’s gambling brawls. F. Richard Allen gives a complete account of each protagonist’s story, and he does not leave the reader wondering what became of anyone. His writing style is one I admire.

This well-written historical fiction also does justice to the history part. From this book I learned about an ancient tribe of runners called the Tarahumara. This tribe was famous for their unique hunting style, which involved chasing their prey over very long distances until it became tired and could no longer run. The fictional character Isidro gives more details about the activities of this tribe in the book. The author also does a fantastic job of portraying life in the American south in the days when the sheriff was the judge, jury, and hangman. Normal even had its own neighboring ******!

Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage has earned a rating of 4 out of 4 stars from me. I found very few grammar errors, and I’m sure that was only because I was looking for them. If you love historical fiction, you should read this book.

Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I had contemplated several times on reviewing this book and now I am kicking myself for not doing that because it sounds awesome :doh: . Thanks for your review and I am glad you enjoyed it. I have gotten over my indecisiveness now and am going to check this book out.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

melissy370 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 15:36 I had contemplated several times on reviewing this book and now I am kicking myself for not doing that because it sounds awesome :doh: . Thanks for your review and I am glad you enjoyed it. I have gotten over my indecisiveness now and am going to check this book out.
It is awesome. Thanks for the lovely comment and I'm glad you enjoyed the review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The read does sound intriguing. I still have quite a list of books to get through but I hope I can get to this one soon. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Faithmwangi wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 15:32 The read does sound intriguing. I still have quite a list of books to get through but I hope I can get to this one soon. Thanks for the review.
You’re welcome. Thanks for stopping by.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Sounds complicated. I don't usually read Westerns and the plot of a murder over a poker game is kind of superficial. But, this is not my genre.

Glad you enjoyed it.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A western novel revolving around life in old Texas sounds intriguing. Gambling, murder, and gangs should make an engaging read. The book contains three stories, gives interesting historical facts, and portrays life in the west. Those Tarahumara sounds quite tough! Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Historical fiction revolving around Old Western life piques my interest. Thanks for the insight and review.
Lucky Moreen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lucky Moreen »

The because is awesome I had not reviewed it but I have to I can't miss out on this Beatiful book. I love books that involve gambling and vengeance
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an incredible historical fiction novel that i enjoyed reading and i rated 4 out of 4 stars. The plot was captivating and the Western that the author created was amazing. The onlinebookclub review was written masterfully and highlighted the best the book had to offer.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I used to like watching westerns on T.V., so I might like reading this book. The Tarahumara tribe sounds interesting to learn about, as they are known for running their prey down. I wonder what will happen to the once-peaceful town of Normal after all the shootings and hangings.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

The novel seems fun and informative. Though I am not a fan of western novels, the fans of this genre surely will enjoy this book, based on the very positive review done. Happy reading!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a very interesting time in history; it sounds like it would be intriguing to read about. I can't wait to learn more about the fictional town of Normal. Thanks for a lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The novel beautifully describes about the Western ways of life, in old Texas and the characters are well developed and interesting. The story flows smoothly, from the beginning to the end without any dull moment.
I liked the one liners of Isidro and felt sad for his failed love story. And I would like to congratulate F. Richard Allen, for his elegant and lucid writing style.
sarik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sarik »

My suggestion you read then noted point.

Return to “Historical Fiction”