Review by Featherystar32 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Featherystar32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-featherystar32.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by Featherystar32 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Featherystar32 »

[i][Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.][/i]

[rbc=4]id273738-125[/rbc]I just finished reading the book, "Toni The Superhero", written by the author R.D. Base.

This is an adorable beginning reader for younger children. The author R.D. Base suggests that her book is targeted for children 0 to 4 years of age. I believe she could definitely increase her target age range up to at least 7 years of age. Most first and second graders are just beginning to read, and this would be a great book for them as well. Also, some reader books have the level of reading on the top right hand cover. I think adding the level to the cover of "Toni The Superhero" would be very helpful in letting moms,dads and even teachers know that this is in fact a beginning reader book.

This book isn't about all of the amazing things a superhero does, like the title depicts. Instead, it's basically introducing "Toni the Superhero" to the young readers. I actually like how the author does this, because it leaves the child wanting to know more about Toni. It also gives the child reading this book a feeling of connection with Toni.

I believe the author is wanting to make "Toni The Superhero" into a series. I feel if she would just add one more page to the ending, this would definitely let the readers know there is more great stories to come about Toni. Maybe for example, " See how Toni saves the day..." Or something along those lines. That will get the young reader excited about the next book.

I also believe that repetition is the key for young readers to learn the wonderful art of reading. The author uses this great technique very well throughout her book. For example, she uses "Toni likes to....." frequently throughout her book. I feel this is very important for young and new readers alike.

I have a young reader myself and I can't wait for him to read this book. The sentences are simple and engaging, so that the children won't get frustrated. The illustrations are bright and colorful to, which I also think is very important to draw in young and new readers. It draws them in and helps with comprehension.

I believe R.D. Base did a great job with this book. I am giving her 4 out of 4 stars. I am excited to see what she has in store for a second book. Now that we know Toni The Superhero I can't wait to see how he helps the world.

[i]Toni the Superhero [/i]
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ?id=273738]on Bookshelves[/url]

[i]Like Featherystar32's review? Post a comment saying so![/i]
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I completely agree with your rating and the fact that the targeted audience should be expanded to 7 years of age. At the end of my book she does introduce the next series though. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”