Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Post by Jmteachmom »

Not sure about the unethical question but I do believe that some authors have taken Da Vinci's name and life to write a good story. I feel blessed to have studied Da Vinci and know more facts about his life than most published book like this one or Dan Brown's. I do wander if the use of his name in so many stories about secret organizations, love stories, and mystical events has actually downgraded him from the great and talented man he was. Are we missing the greatness and the impact of his life on the world?
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:57
Dael Reader wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:00 I wouldn't say there's anything unethical about it. The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together.
You may be right about that, but think of the resemblance between the cover of this book and that of Dan Brown's book. Such a resemblance coupled with da Vinci's name in the title induces the idea that the two books are similar. In this case, fans of Dan Brown would be quick to check it out. I did the same only to discover they are completely different in terms of the writing style as well as character and plot development. This is the reason why I called it a potential marketing strategy and I wondered whether it was ethical or not.
It's funny how we all think about Dan Brown rather than Da Vinci when we see the name 'Leonardo Da Vinci' on the front of a book. I suppose the Maestro hasn't written any recent books but Dan Brown has! However, I believe Leonardo Da Vinci was a prolific note-taker. The book entitled 'Leonardo's Note Books' edited by H. Anna Suh showcases his writing for anyone interested in the man.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

Jmteachmom wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 13:47 Not sure about the unethical question but I do believe that some authors have taken Da Vinci's name and life to write a good story. I feel blessed to have studied Da Vinci and know more facts about his life than most published book like this one or Dan Brown's. I do wander if the use of his name in so many stories about secret organizations, love stories, and mystical events has actually downgraded him from the great and talented man he was. Are we missing the greatness and the impact of his life on the world?
I agree with you in that we are missing the greatness of Leonard Da Vinci and his impact on the world. I have just downloaded his notes to read from Gutenberg.org. I'm not sure if I will ever get through them. Although they have been translated into English, the first few pages seem very confusing. As a point of interest he wrote with his left hand and from right to left across the page which must have made translating them a joy!
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:

Post by Jmteachmom »

Book Bear wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 06:17
Jmteachmom wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 13:47 Not sure about the unethical question but I do believe that some authors have taken Da Vinci's name and life to write a good story. I feel blessed to have studied Da Vinci and know more facts about his life than most published book like this one or Dan Brown's. I do wander if the use of his name in so many stories about secret organizations, love stories, and mystical events has actually downgraded him from the great and talented man he was. Are we missing the greatness and the impact of his life on the world?
I agree with you in that we are missing the greatness of Leonard Da Vinci and his impact on the world. I have just downloaded his notes to read from Gutenberg.org. I'm not sure if I will ever get through them. Although they have been translated into English, the first few pages seem very confusing. As a point of interest he wrote with his left hand and from right to left across the page which must have made translating them a joy!
He was a fascinating man at that! Good luck with your studies and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
emmymbrewer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emmymbrewer »

I would say it is totally ethical. He deserves it, and i agree that it fits.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think this is a marketing strategy based off of Dan Brown more than actually da Vinci and I see nothing unethical.
AJamie
Favorite Book: The Smart One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by AJamie »

I really don't think it is unethical to use Da Vinci's name. Thou it is does help in selling the book and it also kind of give u the interest to want to find out what is in the book.
Ibeh12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibeh12.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Ibeh12 »

Of course not! There is nithing unethical about how the author uses Da Vinci's name in the title. Although, it might have been used as for marketing advantage, but then its not bad at all.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I believe it's because the missing painting is the connecting point.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:

Post by Jmteachmom »

I replied earlier stating my thoughts about da Vinci's name on the cover. I also am currently reading this novel and I can sincerely say that I don't believe it to be unethical, but I do think it is time to let da Vinci rest in peace.
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html

Post by bobbiebryner »

I would not say that it is unethical. I imagine the author did try to capitalize on the popularity of the da Vinci Code. Historical mysteries were a fad for a period of time. National Treasure, The Night at the Museum, and Angels and Demons were movies that also experienced popularity with a similar historical fiction mystery theme. The author even mentions that the book has a similar spirit as the da Vinci Code. The connections of past lives and crossing timelines has been explored and has had success in books like Cloud Atlas. I think that the author just evaluated what was the latest trend and tailored her storytelling to fit that mold. That is not unethetical, it is simply marketing strategy.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

"marketing strategy". Okay. I can live with that.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Not really. It seems to be attracting readers to read the book.
:techie-studyingbrown:
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html

Post by anwidmer »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 09:32 Not really. It seems to be attracting readers to read the book.
Isnt that what marketing is all about?
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html

Post by anwidmer »

LarissaRunamuck wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 13:38 I don't know why ethics are even in question here. It's simply a fact that the way the cover was designed and the title of the book seemed to remind some people of a certain other book. There's nothing wrong with that and I don't think the author is necessarily claiming that this book is anything like the other in terms of content and story. I honestly think it's coincidence.
I agree! We perceive what we want when picking up a book, that part is out of the authors hands, besides as i said the girl who knew fioretta or sophia would not have had the same ring to it as Da Vinci. It was an honest title to the book being that his work ties the whoke story together.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”