Review by Bookmermaid -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Review by Bookmermaid -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by P Reefer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Boris Pasternak declares, “Literature is the art of discovering something extraordinary about ordinary people and saying with ordinary words something extraordinary.” This quote describes concisely the children’s story Toni The Superhero. Toni, the protagonist, performs no great feats or difficult nor arduous tasks. He performs commonplace, routine tasks that any child can safely and easily perform. The only exception is when he is flying through the air after his introduction.

I believe that magical moments occur when the ordinary tasks or moments in life are done with extraordinary touches of love, kindness, and creativity. Toni, a small boy, cheerfully does mundane tasks like washing the wares, dusting and sweeping the floor. Toni, however, is not all work and no play, he is an outgoing kid who enjoys interacting with other children. Toni thus enjoys the typical aerobic activities like jumping, running and swimming. He also likes to sing and dance as well as to eat and sleep.

This straightforward narrative provides an unconscious guide to children of what constitutes a healthy lifestyle a balance between work, play, proper nutrition and rest. This children’s book is geared for kids ages 0 to 4 years, and it is thus deliberately short and colorful to hold their attention. Debbie Hefke illustrations are eye-catching, cheerful, well-proportioned and well matched to the lexicon of the story.

The book consists of approximately thirty pages of sixty-seven words containing one or two syllables. This choice of diction makes the narrative ideal for new readers. The frequent repetition adopted in successive lines is also appropriate and serves as a reinforcement for new words learned in a child’s vocabulary. The diction of familiar and straightforward words encourages children to build their reading skills and feel confident in this endeavor.

The one element, I disliked was the cover illustration showing Toni holding his pet cat in his left-hand and then the cat holding a plate of fruits. I disliked the composition as it can easily be disgustingly parodied and the subject of spoofs. On the other hand, I particularly liked that Toni is a colored boy, as globally colored males appear to be generally at a disadvantage of being easily labeled as criminal, worthless, lazy or unambitious. This positive message of a young colored boy as a superhero or as an achiever needs to be applauded and reduplicated in as many genres as possible. I have awarded this sixty- seven-word children’s story a 4 out of 4 stars, as it proves to be a delightful and subtly didactic story for children that can imbibe good values for modern day living.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bookmermaid's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Nice job on a well-written review! I've occasionally wondered how anyone could write five paragraphs about a children's book, but you did an exceptional job :) Looks like a good story.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:15 Nice job on a well-written review! I've occasionally wondered how anyone could write five paragraphs about a children's book, but you did an exceptional job :) Looks like a good story.
Thank you for your heartwarming compliment. Writing a review on a short narrative like this can pose quite a challenge.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your insightful review. Like you, I espouse going beyond derogatory stereotypes and other forms of damaging discrimination. It is, therefore, a good thing that you've come to appreciate the piece despite its book cover. It's in going out of our way and taking a step further with great intentions just as you did that we could do extraordinary things even if we may not fit the traditional make-believe definitions of what a superhero or superheroine may be.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I have read this book and it is a great book for children that are only starting to read. Great review! 😊
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Thanks for your kind comments.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”