Review by Nmesoma -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review by Nmesoma -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Nmesoma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

REVIEW OF SIGFRIED’S SMELLY SOCKS! BY LEN FOLEY

The story is a really short novel about a kid wondering what makes his socks and books smell so bad. It’s about all the disgusting things that had been done to his socks, all the disgusting misfortunes that had befallen his books. The phrase the author rightly quoted in the beginning, “something stinks about this book” covers everything about the entire story. It’s all about how bad his book and socks reeks, though he did promise to wash his awfully smelling socks in the end.

When I first saw the children’s book, I thought it would be comical at the least, something that could actually draw and hold a child’s attention. The book is short enough to hold a kid’s attention to the end, if it can draw it first. To me, I’ll rightly say I saw no point in writing the novel; what was a kid to gain in the end, is it good enough for a bedtime story, or is it more of a ‘read-at-school’ type? Most children’s books are creative if not comical, to help build a child’s imaginative stance or at least increase their grammatical sense. This book, while it is no doubt that it can help in a child’s grammar (as any nursery book would), won’t be of much use to a child.

Parents would rarely like it too in my opinion, and that’s chiefly because there is no moral, social or otherwise embedded in the story. At the end of the story Sigfried agreed to wash his smelly socks…in the toilet! I didn’t know if that was supposed to be a joke because it certainly didn’t have me laughing (neither did the kid I forced to listen while I read respond positively). I started searching vigorously on the information the book was trying to pass on or imbibe in children, there was none. There was zero element of creativity, information or morals the book could pass on to children and I think it would make the story a big turn-off to parents.

The graphics in the book was colorful and vibrant, and illustrated the story the author was telling. And I would say the age range that the book was designed for would be 1-3 years of age. As much as it pains me to criticize someone’s work, this book is much like a fictional and comical mistake.

I would rate the book ‘1 out of 4’ stars. There just isn’t much that would draw a child’s imagination or make a parent want to read it to his/her child, whatever time of day it happens to be. Children’s books should aspire to leave the children with positive creative and imaginative sense while endearing to improve their grammar, social skills and more. I don’t think a book based entirely on smelly things does that for the little ones.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nmesoma's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The last sentence of your review is profound....a book based entirely on smelly things does not leave a child with a positive creative and imaginative sense! I'm sorry the book did not impress you.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the review! It is a pity that the book did not live up to your expectations – I am also an avid believer that children's books should be informative and fun, since these books play a major role in language development for them.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I am glad you saw the missing educative side of this book. After all, that's why children should read books.
Robinho
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Robinho »

I love your stance on the matter that children's novel should be educational.
Robinho

Post by Robinho »

I love your stance that children's novel should be educational
Kendall jojo

Post by Kendall jojo »

I agree with your review; children's books should be inspirational and educative. The review was great and captured what most writers lack in their works. Thanks for the eye-opening!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”