Official Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Funny Potatoes by Len Foley is a children’s picture book about a group of potatoes who sleep during the day and put on a show with other foods at night. The catch is one of the potatoes is not a potato. Benny, the fourth “potato,” is actually a banana and keeps telling everyone so, although his protests are pretty much ignored. Can this yellow piece of fruit convince the others he is unique?

This hilarious, in-your-face story is told completely in rhyme. In most cases, each page contains two lines that rhyme. The text is accompanied by contemporary illustrations that will immediately put a smile on your face and even make you laugh out loud. The artwork looks like photos of potatoes, bananas, and other items which are enhanced with human characteristics. For example, arms, feet, and a cute bowtie are added to a photo of a sandwich. The overall effect is very appealing, especially with such oversized, up-close pictures.

The use of different whimsical and colorful fonts is a good fit with this fun story. The only negative I can see is the very large, brightly-colored words, coupled with the close-up illustrations, could be off-putting when read as a bedtime story. It might be a better choice to read during a time of day when you want kids to be alert and pay attention. Still, there is something to be said for having a child think happy thoughts before going to sleep. This is certainly a story that screams “happy.”

There is a distinct plot within all the silliness as well as a creative, slightly irreverent ending. Some components of the story could be considered over-the-top and distracting. For younger children, the effect might be overwhelming. Still, children love reading the same books over and over, so I assume they would be less distracted with repeated readings.

The author’s jokes in this story are intelligently written. Some of the jokes relate to the shape of the particular food items. For example, when the characters are told to run for their lives, a donut says, “I can’t run! I don’t have any feet!” In response, a tomato tells the donut, “Then maybe you should roll.”

This book has easily earned 4 out of 4 stars. It is a supremely entertaining read that would be a great addition to any child’s bookshelf, although the target audience appears to be ages 3-8. Even children younger than 3 years old would enjoy looking at the colorful, wacky pictures. I can see this story as a good choice for storytime at school, since it contains a few short, fun songs and a universal lesson. Teachers and their students would certainly gain a few laughs to brighten their day.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This reminds me of Veggie Tales. Kids love jokes, so I imagine it will be a big hit! Great job on the review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

Awwwwww i wish a boo like this was read to me when i was young.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

aaa...i do not know how to contain my excitement! i badly want to read this! Potatoes performing at night, a banana accused of being a potato! Just from reading the first two sentences of your review made me shout and squirm. All kids will go crazy over this even adults like me. I'm going bonkers with colored letters.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book about a performing potatoes sounds entertaining. And one of them is a banana who is mistaken for a potato! :D
That the hilarious text is matched by great illustrations is certainly a plus. I am not the target audience, but it sounds like a cool book for kids. Thank you for the excellent review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I just finished one of Len Foley's children's book. He has a way of making the lyrics rhyme and poetic. His use of pictures is spiffing too. I know I'll enjoy this read. It's difficult to stand out when everyone thinks you're the same with them. I'll probably get one for my toddler. Thanks for the review.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow, I want to read this book. I imagine that it has to be as good or better than his other book, Sigfried's Smelly Socks. Len Foley has a very distinct style which is great! I could easily tell this book was written by him before I even read the name. I can't wait to read it, it sounds so exciting. I need to have kids so I can read Len Foley's books to them. LOL. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Reminds me of Veggie Tales also. The cover of the story caught my eye right away. They are cute looking. I think my kids would love it. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds great! Performing potatoes... well you can't say that it's not original!
I loved your review, thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This looks like such a fun children's book. It reminds me of Veggie Tales and I can see that it would certainly appeal to little ones. Great observation about it being more of a daytime read that a bedtime story. Great review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback! This book is one of those types of books that parents would enjoy in addition to their kids. The humor is very smartly done. I didn't realize the author also wrote Siegfried's Smelly Socks. I have heard good things about that book!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This sounds like a great book that my kids would love. The brightly colored pages seem like they would really appeal to my son, who is right in the middle of the target age bracket. I’ll have to check this one out!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really great read for children! I already cracked up when you mentioned that the fourth potato is a banana. Thanks for the review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

The book is really funny for readers of any age!
Marcella27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marcella27 »

Children would love this book !

Return to “Children's Books”