Official Review: Darling Girl by Terry H Watkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Darling Girl by Terry H Watkins

Post by jwalker73 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Darling Girl" by Terry H Watkins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darling Girl is Terry H. Watkins’ debut novel. This delightful coming of age story falls into the Other Fiction genre and is told in the first-person perspective, through the eyes of Darling Girl, otherwise known as DG. DG’s story starts at the age of five and spans thirteen years.

This book is different from many novels I have read. Darling Girl does not provide the reader with a comprehensive account of DG’s life. Instead, it focuses on specific events deemed important to DG over the years. The narration is written from a child’s point of view and, as such, gives a child’s perspective about the events occurring within the family unit. The lack of analysis, insight and judgment is refreshing, particularly in the earlier years when, in keeping with her age, DG says it as she sees it.

DG’s father works in pipelining and, as a result, the family is constantly relocating. For DG, however, this is not the only instability she experiences. DG’s life is further complicated by both her mother’s mental health problems and her father’s increasingly controlling behaviour.

Darling Girl begins with DG’s ‘Gramma’ and ‘Grampa’ coming to collect her from vacation Bible school instead of her mother. Positive that her mother has gone to ‘pick out’ a new baby for their ever-growing family, DG is saddened to learn that this is not the case. Instead, she is told that her mother has gone away for a rest. While trying to comprehend what this means, DG is filled with immense sadness and, at times, feelings of guilt. Through DG’s eyes, we share the confusion and insecurities she feels when her mother goes away and the overwhelming happiness upon her mother’s return.

As DG grows older she gains understanding and insight into her mother’s multiple absences, recognising that her mother’s mental illness is the same as any physical illness except for the stigma attached to it. More importantly, DG starts to understand some of the factors which have exacerbated her mother’s mental illness over the years and soon learns that these factors are often more significant than the illness itself.

This book had many positive aspects. The story touched on several sensitive topics in quite a unique way. Subjects, including mental health, loss and domestic violence, were mostly mentioned in passing rather than being delved into or explicitly described. The author was successfully able to achieve this by telling the story from DG’s perspective. Since children have limited insight and understanding about such events, the comments DG made were observational statements only. The reader then had to use their own knowledge and life experiences to read between the lines and gain the deeper meaning behind DG’s words. I was impressed by the way the author managed to do this without minimising or trivialising the impact these events had on both DG and her family’s lives.

Aside from the obvious effectiveness of this writing style, I could see two additional advantages to the way this book was written. Firstly, it ensured that the story remained a predominantly light read. Secondly, it opened the book up to a wider audience since it made the book suitable for readers who generally have difficulty reading stories which contain graphic details.

I also really enjoyed many of the descriptions used throughout the book. The author appeared to have considered all five senses when writing this story and I felt this helped the reader share or relate to the experiences. There were a couple of descriptions that particularly moved me, especially when DG was referring to her Grampa. On one occasion DG was in her mother’s closet and her Grampa asked her if she was going to come out. She stated that she came out ‘…because it’s Grampa, and he is the safest place I know.’ I thought this was a beautiful way to describe their relationship. There were also many statements that made me chuckle and I really laughed at the list of etiquette DG was required to know so she could be deemed ready to go on her first shopping trip.

The editing of this book was outstanding. I looked very closely for errors since I reviewed this book prior to its release, the scheduled date being 2nd October 2018. It was virtually faultless. The spelling was particularly exceptional. On a couple of occasions, I thought I had located a grammatically incorrect sentence or a misspelt word, however, I soon discovered these were intentional and formed part of the various dialects the family encountered on their travels.

Additionally, a few of the sentences appeared excessively long but, after consideration, I realised that these were, in fact, written the way a child speaks. These sentences reflected the protagonist’s age, accurately depicting the rapid speech, excitement and sudden change in thoughts that normally accompany a child’s eager tale. I also noted that the author subtly changed the narration as the chapters progressed, ensuring the wording remained age-appropriate as DG matured. This happened so seamlessly that I did not even realise it had occurred until I had finished the book.

Overall, I only noticed one or two potential errors. I say potential as I was unsure whether they were oversights or not, however, they were obvious enough to stand out. Firstly, it appeared that the book was written in chronological order, spanning 1957 to 1970, however, one chapter deviated from this pattern. I noticed that Chapter 12 was set in 1962, Chapter 13 in 1963 and then Chapter 14 returned to 1962. Following this, the book, once again, continued in chronological order. Regardless, this did not alter the story in any way. The other thing I noticed was one incidence of repetition about how, when DG’s Granny starts arguing, it means she is ready to return to Aunt Odilia’s.

Finally, if I was to be really critical, the only aspect I felt could be improved was the ending of the book. The finish seemed a little bit abrupt and I found myself wanting to know more about what happened in DG’s future. While this was only a minor issue, I thought the addition of an epilogue may have helped the ending feel more complete.

In summary, this was a well-written novel which lightly touched on a variety of topics. The descriptions were wonderful. I laughed at some, felt empathy with others and reminisced with many. I had no hesitation rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. With virtually faultless editing, this story provided a light and easy read about topics which would usually be considered heavy. This book should appeal to readers who enjoy a very realistic and moving story without the inclusion of graphic content.

Darling Girl
View: on Bookshelves

Like jwalker73's review? Post a comment saying so!
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I think i going to love this book. I love stories told in a child's point view. I think i will be able to relate her mother's sickness as i had gone through same experience. thanks for the well written review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It seems that the author took great care to present the story through a child’s eyes, which is a challenge as the child continues to mature. Your review was very thorough and enlightening!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
MigoyaShee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MigoyaShee »

This is an awesome book. I enjoy reading about something regarding a child's point of view. It is so interesting. I think I'm gonna love it. The review is fantastic
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Wow, intentional errors, that sounds amazing; that is cool though, I love the fact that issues were treated in this book in a unique way, the book seems perfect enough and I would love to read it...

Great review...
Chasir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chasir »

Beautiful book..loved reading it and i would read it over and over again👌
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love the unique perspective you described from the girl's point of view. It seems like a very creative way to not only engage the reader but also address mental health issues. The phrase you quoted about her Grampa being the safest place she knows clinched it for me! Great review!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Cecilia_L wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 23:16 I love the unique perspective you described from the girl's point of view. It seems like a very creative way to not only engage the reader but also address mental health issues. The phrase you quoted about her Grampa being the safest place she knows clinched it for me! Great review!
Your well-written review intrigued and got me curious about the book. Like Cecilia, I found the unadulterated yet still insightful and relatable child perspective used as a clever, ingenious style that I rarely (if not altogether never) encountered before. Swayed by what I have read from you so far, I've just placed this in my "want to read" Bookshelves list!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Written in DGs point of view, this almost seems like it would come across as a journal format. I'm glad the author touches on so many important topics. It's really a shame that there is still a stigma attached to mental illness because there shouldn't be. They can't help it any more than someone can help getting cancer. Thanks so much for a great review. I love the cover!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ronishaa1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ronishaa1 »

:) I read this before this is a really good book i recommend other people read it i really enjoyed it a lot.🙂🙂
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Sharon serena »

This book is definitely a good read for me. I love that it covers some aspect of mother child relationships as brings out the important of a mother in a child's life. I have really enjoyed your review which is detailed well. Nice work!
jwalker73

Post by jwalker73 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 23:16 I love the unique perspective you described from the girl's point of view. It seems like a very creative way to not only engage the reader but also address mental health issues. The phrase you quoted about her Grampa being the safest place she knows clinched it for me! Great review!
She uses some beautiful descriptions
jwalker73

Post by jwalker73 »

Sharon serena wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 02:03 This book is definitely a good read for me. I love that it covers some aspect of mother child relationships as brings out the important of a mother in a child's life. I have really enjoyed your review which is detailed well. Nice work!
Thank you for your kind comments. I enjoyed the relationship they shared.
jwalker73

Post by jwalker73 »

Espie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 23:44
Your well-written review intrigued and got me curious about the book. Like Cecilia, I found the unadulterated yet still insightful and relatable child perspective used as a clever, ingenious style that I rarely (if not altogether never) encountered before. Swayed by what I have read from you so far, I've just placed this in my "want to read" Bookshelves list!
I love the innocence of a child's point of view. Thanks for commenting
jwalker73

Post by jwalker73 »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 08:18 Written in DGs point of view, this almost seems like it would come across as a journal format. I'm glad the author touches on so many important topics. It's really a shame that there is still a stigma attached to mental illness because there shouldn't be. They can't help it any more than someone can help getting cancer. Thanks so much for a great review. I love the cover!
The cover was what attracted me to the book before I read anything about it. I agree about the stigma.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”