Official Review: Desiderata by Aakash Doshi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Official Review: Desiderata by Aakash Doshi

Post by AmySmiles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Desiderata" by Aakash Doshi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Desiderata by Aakash Doshi is a book of poetry written in different poetic forms on a number of different topics. Each poem is titled differently; some of them being: Chemistry, Oye Como Va, Neat Probability, and Ballard of the Proper Fool.

Most of the poems are written in free verse, with a few other forms like haiku and narrative. All of them are short usually one page or less with a few longer ones mixed in. I counted a total of 39 poems all together with the book being 45 pages in all. The book also included a couple of palindromes that the author wrote out as well as a couple other writings he included that were more like word puzzles than poems.

This book left me disappointed. While the poems themselves were okay, nicely written and very few grammatical issues, the description of the book led me to believe it would be something different. The book was described to be more story-like, rather than just random poems thrown into a mixture. Even though I was frustrated, that it didn’t turn out to be as I thought, I did find a few poems that I enjoyed.

It felt like the author, at times, was just trying to prove their intelligence by throwing in uncommon, seldom used words that many people would consider using in a college essay rather than everyday English. Words like amine and gauche, found in the first poem alone not to mention others scattered throughout the book. In fact, it felt like many of the poems may have come from a college assignment.

Some of the poems didn’t make much sense to me, but there were a few that almost felt story-like. I enjoyed the one that was in haiku form titled, “The Way They Come,” and ones that were short and simple like the one titled, “Snippet of Lime”. There were a few word puzzles thrown in that I wasn’t really fond of, and wasn’t sure why they were in a book of poems. They were one sentence, and then the next line would be another sentence with all the same letters, minus one, used to create a new sentence until that last line was just one letter. The palindromes were interesting, but I felt like they were out of place in this book. This is why it led me to believe this book was a collection of college assignments.

I am rating Desiderata 2 out of 4 stars. There are definitely some poems in this book worth reading. The fancy word use leads me to believe that some readers who are looking for a relaxing read will not find this book appealing. I believe some readers who can overlook big word use and puzzle-like poems will find this book enjoyable. If the author would have left out the puzzles and palindromes I would have likely given it 3 stars. I would recommend this book to those that enjoy short poems and books that can help expand their vocabulary. If you are looking for a comfort read this is probably not what you are looking for.

Desiderata
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AmySmiles's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Although it was different from your expectation, I’m glad you could enjoy parts of the collection. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I enjoy poetry in the narrative form, and it seems there a few to be found in the book. I'm not so sure I'll enjoy the rest of the book though. Thanks for the review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I can sympathize with being misled by the description or category of a book chosen for review, only to find it was something completely different. It's off-putting. Thanks for the honest review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

As you say, poetry books usually have some sort of theme. This looks like a collection of writing style samples.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I'm not a big fan of poetry, but you definitely wrote a great review!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Pity it was not what you were hoping for. At least it was a short book so you didn't have to be disappointed for long ;) Thanks for a great review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sorry that the poems seem disjointed. Thanks for thorough review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Sorry it was such a disappointment. Hopefully you love your next one.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Well written review. I'm too afraid to select a poetry book on this site, so I applaud your bravery!
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder

Post by AmySmiles »

stacie k wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 01:26 Although it was different from your expectation, I’m glad you could enjoy parts of the collection. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts.
Thanks for your comment. It bothers me when authors try to sell their books for something it really isn't.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Nimat87 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 02:36 I enjoy poetry in the narrative form, and it seems there a few to be found in the book. I'm not so sure I'll enjoy the rest of the book though. Thanks for the review.
I do too, there wasn't nearly enough in this book, at least not the way the description made it sound. Thanks for the comment.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

SamSim wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 07:23 I can sympathize with being misled by the description or category of a book chosen for review, only to find it was something completely different. It's off-putting. Thanks for the honest review!
It is very off-putting. Thanks for the comment.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Helen_Combe wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 02:46 As you say, poetry books usually have some sort of theme. This looks like a collection of writing style samples.
Yep, thanks for commenting!
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

BriennaiJ wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 15:59 I'm not a big fan of poetry, but you definitely wrote a great review!
I appreciate your compliment and your comment!
–Author Unknown

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”