Official Review: Daycare Yesterday Today and Tomorrow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Daycare Yesterday Today and Tomorrow

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daycare Yesterday Today and Tomorrow" by Beverly Klingbeil.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beverly Klingbeil's 28-year career as a committed daycare teacher and her fervent desire to "always be of service to all teachers" have culminated in Daycare: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow. Despite its brevity, this book is a wealth of varied anecdotes, advice, and suggestions related to teaching young children. Inside you will find stories from the author's experience, best practices, crafts, experiments, songs, chants, safety information, printable tools, recipes, art projects, and links to online resources. There are also cute photographs and illustrations which lend a visual aspect to the text. Klingbeil's passion for teaching and love for children is undeniable throughout.

I do not work in the early childhood education field, but I am a full-time parent of three small children, so I am always on the lookout for any books or resources which may help me interact with, inspire, or teach my kids. I began reading Daycare with anticipation, hoping it would do just that. I did find several fun activities ("building a rainbow") and recipes (homemade playdough) that I look forward to trying out myself, as well as some genius crafting and storage hacks that were entirely new to me. Additionally, the portion of the book discussing the alarmingly low average pay rate for teachers was enlightening and prompted a Google search of my own. I was dumbfounded to find out that a daycare teacher makes less than, say, someone in pest control or a cook at a fast food restaurant. However, If I had to sum up this book with a single word, it would be "disorganized."

While most of the contents are useful, frankly, they're also haphazard. Imagine what would result if you searched for "daycare teaching ideas" on Pinterest and you get a sense of the format of this book. There is a table of contents with chapter titles such as "Teacher Effectiveness," as well as chapters covering the teaching of specific school subjects, like math. Under each chapter heading are several sub-headings that, one would assume, break down more detailed aspects of the subject discussed in that chapter. However, the placement of specific paragraphs, lists, sentences, etc., often defies reason and is not intuitive or reader-friendly. For example, the fire safety information and materials are located under the heading of "Language Development." Within the fire-safety segment is the heading "Home Fire Safety Checklist." Children and parents are encouraged to "inspect [their] home" and "answer the questions below." Great idea, except only a blank space was "below," with no checklist or questions to be found.

This is not the only instance where implied information seemed to be missing entirely. At one point, the lyrics to "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe" are featured, along with the phrase "Origins and Meaning," in bold, followed by nothing at all. Why include a reference to the song's origin if it wasn't going to be discussed? There are also several numbered lists of what are apparently subject-related items, which appear abruptly, with no title or introduction to acquaint the reader with the list's purpose. I found myself repeatedly paging back and forth, thinking I must have overlooked something, but that was never the case. Also, many of the images are grainy or out of focus.

Daycare is obviously written for a narrow audience (daycare teachers), as many of the tools, tasks, or programs mentioned are just that - mentions. No further description or background is provided, indicating that Mrs. Bev fully expects her reader to instantly know, for example, what Unifix cubes are or what NEA stands for. She offhandedly refers to the "Roud Folk Song Index" and the "library's 746.46 area," as if no further explanation is necessary. To me, the uninitiated, this may as well have been a foreign language. No music appears with song lyrics and no translation of American Sign Language is provided with illustrated signs. I was often bewildered by details for which I had no context.

I fully believe in Mrs. Bev's intent with her book, which was to provide encouragement, advice, and resources to daycare teachers and other early childhood educators by drawing on the expertise she has gained over a long and fruitful career. A good teacher's value is immeasurable. Unfortunately, this published work feels more like a draft, where material hasn't been arranged or fleshed out into its final form. In its current state, it's a labyrinth of information, which severely limits its usefulness and its prospective audience. With that in mind, I award Daycare: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, by Beverly Klingbeil, 2 out of 4 stars. Early childhood educators will love exploring Mrs. Bev's "closet" of great stories and ideas. Just be prepared to browse for what you need.

Daycare Yesterday Today and Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SamSim's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

What a pity! It seemed like such a great resource for daycare teachers, but the disorganisation and not being fleshed out definitely takes away a lot. I can't believe that teachers are paid so low - I would think that the educators of our future generation ought to be treated better. Regardless, thank you for the amazing review!
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

Such a shame! it could have been a great book even for people who are not teachers like me. i would probably read this. thanks for the honest and detailed review! :)
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The disorganization would drive me crazy! It does, indeed, sound like a draft. I hope the author develops it further, because it could be a valued resource for others who work with young children. Thanks for your thorough review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I suppose after coming home from hundreds of crazy kids running around all day, focus is difficult to come by.
Hopefully the author heeds your advice and tightens the book up a bit.
Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I hope these faults would be looked into, a child's book should be impeccable. But I say a big well done to the author for putting this together!!

And to you, thank you for your awesome and enlightening review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy

Post by melissy370 »

What a disappointment. This sounded like a good resource for someone who takes care of children. You would think a teacher would be more organized. Thanks for the review.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Wow, that's a lot of missing information for one book. I'm sure the author has wonderful intentions, but her advice can do no good if she doesn't provide all of the necessary resources to follow through.
Great review. Very clear explanations for improvement.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I really wish someone else had previewed the book and helped her edit it. The Amazon link seems to indicate it was self-published or just published on a free platform, which may have meant the information that was missing was not formatted correctly or somehow did not get uploaded with the rest of the file.

Thank you for citing specific formatting errors and ideas presented without context; I need to keep that in mind when I write papers.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 00:16 What a pity! It seemed like such a great resource for daycare teachers, but the disorganisation and not being fleshed out definitely takes away a lot. I can't believe that teachers are paid so low - I would think that the educators of our future generation ought to be treated better. Regardless, thank you for the amazing review!
It does take away a lot. If this book gets more attention, though, it would be a great resource. Regarding a daycare teacher's pay, I Googled it and, apparently, the US national average is about $10 an hour. I made more than that cashiering at a grocery store! Considering these teachers are investing in future generations at their most malleable stage, I feel this is far too low! Klingbeil states that the turnover rate in this field is about 40% - no wonder. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! It sounds like this book has some major issues! It's a great day and could be a good book. But I would get irritated really quickly if the book implied it was going to tell me something and then... nothing. Definitely frustrating. Maybe after a good edit, this one could be really useful. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

julessawyer wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 01:20 Such a shame! it could have been a great book even for people who are not teachers like me. i would probably read this. thanks for the honest and detailed review! :)
I agree! If they revisit the book and make some changes, it could be far-reaching and helpful to parents as well as early childhood educators. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

stacie k wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 01:36 The disorganization would drive me crazy! It does, indeed, sound like a draft. I hope the author develops it further, because it could be a valued resource for others who work with young children. Thanks for your thorough review!
Yeah, I actually read the book twice because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't just really mixed up and overlooking pages or something. It could potentially be a great resource when it's reorganized. Thanks for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:13 I suppose after coming home from hundreds of crazy kids running around all day, focus is difficult to come by.
Hopefully the author heeds your advice and tightens the book up a bit.
Thanks for the great review!
That's funny - I said something very similar to my husband while I was reading it. I totally understand feeling scattered after caring for a bunch of little kids all day. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Dahmy 10 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 05:11 I hope these faults would be looked into, a child's book should be impeccable. But I say a big well done to the author for putting this together!!

And to you, thank you for your awesome and enlightening review.
It's not really intended for kids, beyond the fact that kids will ultimately benefit from what teachers can learn from the book (once it's polished up a bit, that is). However, it would be much more effective if it receives more attention, I agree. Thanks for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”