Official Review: Squelched by Terry Beard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Squelched by Terry Beard

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Squelched" by Terry Beard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Squelched: Succeeding in Business and Life by Finding Your Voice is an encouraging and inspiring book written by Terry Beard.

Divided into four chapters, the book is a poignant memoir of the author who suffered from glossophobia, the fear of public speaking. It is an account of how the author developed his fear of speaking in public and how he finally and triumphantly found his voice as well as samples of speeches delivered in various venues and letters addressed to the author’s sons.

The author recounts his experiences and the factors that led to his losing his confidence which include poverty and being put down, shunned and pigeonholed by his own family for ‘not being good enough’. Moreover, he writes about being discriminated in school, in church and the community, as well as being bullied, embarrassed, berated, humiliated and discouraged not just once or twice, but too many times. In painful details, the author describes how he was squelched again and again.

Despite those unpleasant experiences, however, Terry Beard managed to be hopeful. With the ultimate goal of escaping poverty, he worked as hard as he could and never gave up on his dream to finish college. He was able to put up his own business, became an entrepreneur, found his voice, learned another language, found his self-worth and wanted to inspire other people.

This is a touching and inspiring book about someone who has been through so much including fatal illness and painful betrayal but remained hopeful, purposeful, determined and conscientious. The author’s experiences are somehow relatable and therefore engaging. Compared with other memoirs that I have read so far, this book sounds a little detached with a matter-of-fact tone which, for me, makes the book enjoyable to read.

While my favorite part of the book is the author’s lavish praise and expression of gratitude for the love of his life, which may inspire envy from other readers, the best part, I think, is the depiction of the author’s steely determination. He exhibits strength of character, immeasurable tenacity and admirable work values. He truly is a very inspiring person. He not only says but shows what ‘It’s never too late’ means.

Apparently, I enjoyed this book a lot. It is very encouraging. However, I found some parts, especially the later ones, repetitive and redundant. Moreover, the timeline is somehow confusing that it is difficult to determine when a particular event happened in the author’s life. Furthermore, though it’s probably due to the author’s enthusiasm and desire to encourage other people, some parts sound more like endorsement of Rotary and Toastmaster than prompting. Finally, there are many noticeable errors within the entire book which are mostly typos (like and the practicing the speech and which is a large as the state of New York).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is touching, inspiring and encouraging. I recommend it not only to people who suffer glossophobia but also to readers who enjoy true stories about rising above adversity.

Squelched
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review! It seems like an inspiring read, and I'm putting it on my to-read list.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It's always inspiring to read how someone has overcome a particular challenge in their life. I think many people can relate to the fear of public speaking. Thank you for the interesting review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is a good read and a must read. I'm sold the moment I read this "...rising above adversity." Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

gen_g wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 01:59 Thank you for the lovely review! It seems like an inspiring read, and I'm putting it on my to-read list.
You're welcome. It is, indeed, an inspiring read.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 07:17 It's always inspiring to read how someone has overcome a particular challenge in their life. I think many people can relate to the fear of public speaking. Thank you for the interesting review!
You're welcome. It's a great book. I hope you get a chance to read it.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 07:24 This is a good read and a must read. I'm sold the moment I read this "...rising above adversity." Thank you for your review.
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Hardwork clearly pays. It is sad that even in this day and age people look down on others because of the abilities they may or may not possess. That the author was able to triumph despite this is uplifting. Thanks for the great review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Faithmwangi wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 10:58 Hardwork clearly pays. It is sad that even in this day and age people look down on others because of the abilities they may or may not possess. That the author was able to triumph despite this is uplifting. Thanks for the great review.
You're welcome. It's a great book.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

The author's story sounds like a very uplifting one. I've also had a phobia for public speaking I'm still working on it. I'd love to know the story of how he achieved all his dreams despite the betrayal and illnesses. He sounds like a very strong and inspiring person.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Oulababe wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 15:54 The author's story sounds like a very uplifting one. I've also had a phobia for public speaking I'm still working on it. I'd love to know the story of how he achieved all his dreams despite the betrayal and illnesses. He sounds like a very strong and inspiring person.
He, sure, is and it's very kind of him to share his story with us.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”