Official Review: I Thought I was Normal by RB Wright

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Official Review: I Thought I was Normal by RB Wright

Post by Mouricia Allen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Thought I was Normal" by RB Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Thought I Was Normal by R.B. Wright is a fictional novel about the life of the character only known as Bob. It shows highlights of various events that took place throughout the course of his life. It zooms in on his inability to cope with negative outcomes. This behavior continued throughout his youth and into adulthood; where he finally decided to see a psychiatrist. The book is written in the 3rd person and the story is often told through his memories.

I loved the format of the book. Each chapter spoke about a different time in Bob's life or touched on a different issue. However, I did not like the overuse of the 3rd person referencing of Bob.

Being confused and feeling hopeless and helpless can be a very deadly combination. I felt sorry for Bob because all he wanted was to find a place where he belonged and where he could be at peace. However true peace seemed to be very elusive for him. That was until he finally met Dr. Scott.

Although I was quite understanding regarding him being a little slow, I was sometimes annoyed at his overall naivete. I was even more annoyed by his insistence to dwell on all the negative points in his life. There isn't much action in the story, and most of the plot was just Bob's inner thoughts; it sometimes got a little tiresome to read.

This book brings to question the issue of mental health. There are many people who are constantly suffering and doing so in silence. Many times individuals try to reach out to others, and they don't get the help they were searching for. Sometimes you see people commit suicide and other persons are asking, 'why didn't they reach out?', maybe they did and got no help. This book has also driven home the fact that many people reach out to God when they feel they have no other choice.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was a pretty good read. I gained a different perspective and learned many things from reading this book. I would recommend this book to people who are struggling internally with past demons. Or even just people who are looking for an inspirational read. It shows that sometimes we need to learn to forgive ourselves because that is most times, the only way to move forward.

I Thought I was Normal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mouricia25's review? Post a comment saying so!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I don't think I'll be reading but I love that it deals with mental illness and what it's like struggling with yourself. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think we need more books that help people to understand mental illness. That's one of those things that is very hard to understand unless you've been there. So, it sounds like this is a worthwhile read! Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"Sometimes you see people commit suicide and other persons are asking, 'why didn't they reach out?', maybe they did and got no help."
Unfortunately, this is too often true. When I read Stepping Up, by Donalyn Powell, I was surprised and disheartened to learn from the statistics in the last chapter that most people who commit or attempt suicide exhibit clear signs or even talk about it beforehand, and no one takes notice. Great review, by the way.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

JR Mercier wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 07:17 I don't think I'll be reading but I love that it deals with mental illness and what it's like struggling with yourself. Loved your review.
Thank you for reading.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 07:51 I think we need more books that help people to understand mental illness. That's one of those things that is very hard to understand unless you've been there. So, it sounds like this is a worthwhile read! Thanks so much.
That's so true. Thanks for reading.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

SamSim wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 09:04
"Sometimes you see people commit suicide and other persons are asking, 'why didn't they reach out?', maybe they did and got no help."
Unfortunately, this is too often true. When I read Stepping Up, by Donalyn Powell, I was surprised and disheartened to learn from the statistics in the last chapter that most people who commit or attempt suicide exhibit clear signs or even talk about it beforehand, and no one takes notice. Great review, by the way.
It is indeed really sad. Thank you for reading.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I enjoyed reading your review on this book. It actually sounds like one I would enjoy reading. The third person aspect would be something I would get annoyed by with reading it, but at the same time you pointed out a lot of good parts to the book. Thank you for sharing your insight.
Paiges-reads
Favorite Book: Immortals' Requiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paiges-reads.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Paiges-reads »

The title intrigued me and made me curious to read your review, because 'I thought I was normal' is such a provocative idea. There could be so many avenues you could go down with that title, and I wanted to know which the author took. Mental illness is getting talked about more today than it used to, but not enough that people generally know how to either understand it in themselves or other people - as that seems to be the point in the book. Bob thinks he's normal, that everyone goes through what he has gone through, when really it isn't the norm and getting help makes him feel better. I love books that help change peoples perspectives to be more open and inclusive, so I may have to add this one to my list. Thanks for the review!
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

The title had me in the first go. I think I would like to read about Bob's story.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The title really grabs your attention. Your great review piqued my interest!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Well I haven't read the book, but I have been depressed before and even when I made a conscious effort not to, it was easy to focus on the negatives. So perhaps the author was being realistic by depicting Bob as someone who focuses on the negatives. I understand why that would become draining to read after a while though.

Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

It sounds nice, I love books that talk about the Mind and could get along even when it touches on mental illness; your review is quite expository enough, thanks for the enlightenment.

Would love to know how Bob sorted himself out!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I just love the title. Books about overcoming depression are greatly needed.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The title alone attracts my attention. If you ask me, I'm definitely not normal and won't become one because normal is boring. What is 'normal' anyway? Life's short to be normal.

I'm certain I will be equally annoyed at the naivete of the character but on the other hand it will helps us to be more aware of the signs of people who suffer this internal illness. Thank you for your recommendation. Good review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”