Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Post by anwidmer »

I agree, i am not a fan usually of historical fiction OR romance novels, i felt though that this story held a good mix of genres. I dont think it should be classified as historial fiction, rather other fiction maybe.
kmkline120
Currently Reading: Tiny Beautiful Things
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmkline120.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by kmkline120 »

I haven't finished this book yet, but so far I really like it. I am a fan of historical and mystery stories, so this one appeals to me. I also think the characters are well developed so far.
danopsy
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danopsy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by danopsy »

Art is a unique subject on it on not to talk of the romance and mystery. a lovely book which i give kudos to
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

anwidmer wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 07:37 I agree, i am not a fan usually of historical fiction OR romance novels, i felt though that this story held a good mix of genres. I dont think it should be classified as historial fiction, rather other fiction maybe.
Actually, the book is classified in the Mystery/Thriller genre on OBC as well as on Amazon. That being said, it definitely has strong elements of several other genres. Like you, I don't usually care for romance novels. However, I have been liking historical fiction more and more in the past few years.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I like the romance aspect of it and I like how it is based on real facts also. It sounds good and it is a really great way to combine mystery, art and romance.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

bookowlie wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 17:04
Yolimari wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 16:38 I found eight grammatical and spelling errors.
I actually found twelve errors, although we are both on the same page regarding the fact that there were several errors. :)
Good! When I found those eight, I honestly thought there were more I did not catch. :D
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Yolimari wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 15:17
bookowlie wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 17:04
Yolimari wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 16:38 I found eight grammatical and spelling errors.
I actually found twelve errors, although we are both on the same page regarding the fact that there were several errors. :)
Good! When I found those eight, I honestly thought there were more I did not catch. :D
I am sure there were a few more that neither of us caught. :) Once I become absorbed in the story, I wasn't concentrating as much on catching errors. I mean, our primary function is to read the book, not be professional proofreaders. :)
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

There are some books that I have to give a 3 star rating to because they have more than 10 errors but there are errors and there are ERRORS and I know you guys know what I'm talking about. In one book I read there were several pages with various "?" just scattered everywhere. That is quite the error because it is annoying, disruptive, and should have easily been noticed by anyone editing it, even a 5 year old. Then there are sentences that absolutely make no sense whatsoever. A missing " or failure to indent a paragraph I can easily get over.
At least when I am forced to give a 3 star rating I like to have other reasons besides some minor typos. With this book I did have more than just the errors to support removing a star.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I felt the same way. The book was a solid 3 out of 4 stars for me, regardless of the errors. That being said, a book that is published should be free of errors. If the reader is noticing the errors, then the author and/or their editor should have picked them up. I think Indie writers often don't want to spend money on a professional editor; instead, they will have a relative or friend proofread the book. Of course, I'm not saying this was the case here.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Maybe they just need to have more than one friend or relative and only those who speak English as a first language or are very skilled in English grammar. Unless you are living under a rock, I doubt anyone couldn't find a few proofreaders who should be able to catch the majority of mistakes. I have a really hard time understanding how this happens. There are so many authors whose reputation takes a nosedive because of mistakes that could have been easily corrected. I find it hard to give a 4-star rating very often just because of the number of typing/grammar errors.
ahmadmalik627
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ahmadmalik627 »

i like this book.
this book has the beautiful topics like romance,eating and enjoying the journeys.
this is the good idea.
many people will enjoy this book and get inspiration by this book.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I can't tell you how many times I have read a review book with numerous errors and then see the author profusely thank their spouse or other close relative/friend in the acknowledges for editing the book.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I feel that the history is the magical part of it. I'd give it a four out of four.
FawkesThorn
Currently Reading: The Titan's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawkesthorn.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by FawkesThorn »

"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" looks like an interesting read, I will definitely have to read it. The idea of a lost da Vinci painting is very interesting. I like the idea of "Out of Time Thriller" and I will put this on my to read shelf.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Shehab1 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 23:00 It is a compelling book actually!, full of mystery and exciting but it also needed to be way real and touchable to the reader's curiosity.
Art detectives, past-life regression, visions, and being hunted by a greedy murderer aren't things many of us face in our lives or have any experience with. It is a fine line an author walks between bringing a fictional concept to life and making it seem realistic. Unfortunately, I think Ami fell a little short with the way she linked Angela to her past lives. I think a different explanation could have been deemed more "real." I wouldn't say any of the situations that happened in this book were relatable to the average reader, but it is an enjoyable story.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”