Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Post by anwidmer »

Yolimari wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 15:37 I really enjoyed reading The Girl Who Knew da Vinci. I loved how Belle Ami mixed romance, mystery, art, and different time periods. She has a notable ability to build up the the three couple’s romances and the mystery surrounding the lost da Vinci. I am looking forward for the next book in the series.

I thought that she overdid it with Angela’s visions of the past. Near the end of the story I was ready for the mystery to be solved. This is a minor issue for me. But what bothered me were the grammatical and spelling mistakes for which I deducted a star. I hope she gets a better editor for the next books.

Yes, I would recommend this book! I think readers who like art, romance, history, and mystery will enjoy it like me.
Were there many errors? Im surprised i dont recal but maybe once seeing one. Im sure there were some as i stated in my own review but i was so wrapped up in the story i didnt notice them. Usually they stop me in my tracks and disrupt the flow for me. I hope Belle Ami is able to get a better editor as well. i know many who will actually put a book down over it and not dinish it good or not.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I found eight grammatical and spelling errors.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

anwidmer wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 15:46
Yolimari wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 15:37 I really enjoyed reading The Girl Who Knew da Vinci. I loved how Belle Ami mixed romance, mystery, art, and different time periods. She has a notable ability to build up the the three couple’s romances and the mystery surrounding the lost da Vinci. I am looking forward for the next book in the series.

I thought that she overdid it with Angela’s visions of the past. Near the end of the story I was ready for the mystery to be solved. This is a minor issue for me. But what bothered me were the grammatical and spelling mistakes for which I deducted a star. I hope she gets a better editor for the next books.

Yes, I would recommend this book! I think readers who like art, romance, history, and mystery will enjoy it like me.
Were there many errors? Im surprised i dont recal but maybe once seeing one. Im sure there were some as i stated in my own review but i was so wrapped up in the story i didnt notice them. Usually they stop me in my tracks and disrupt the flow for me. I hope Belle Ami is able to get a better editor as well. i know many who will actually put a book down over it and not dinish it good or not.
I don't think most of you saw the errors. After I submitted my Official Review, Scott contacted me to let me know the author updated the book with the errors I listed in the error section. As a result, I assume anyone who read this book after my review was published wouldn't have seen the errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Yolimari wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 16:38 I found eight grammatical and spelling errors.
I actually found twelve errors, although we are both on the same page regarding the fact that there were several errors. :)
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I have always absolutely loved loved loved art and It drew me into this book! I couldn't wait to read more and I would definitely recommend it to people. Although, I do realize that not everybody is as into art as I am so I guess it would be wise not to recommend it to everybody. I've been telling some of my art friends about it though for sure. I would also love to get some non art friends in on it and have people expand their horizons! Everybody could stand for doing so
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Yolimari wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 16:38 I found eight grammatical and spelling errors.

That's not too bad for an entire book. Although I am very picky about grammar sometimes. It can drive me bananas.
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:

Post by Amanda Nixon »

-brintontaylor wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 03:24 Because I love mystery books so much, I decided that I might read this book. However, I was put off by the whole Art / History side to it. Those genres are just ones that I've never really read or had any interest in!

I agree that mystery books are very intriguing. Although I have to say that I love the art side!
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Kibetious wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 14:55 The rating would be 4 out of 4 stars. The things that I love about it is the fact that it has a historical perspective in it. It makes this book more relatable and not seeming like it was set from an unknown world.
I have to agree with you! Glad that so many people liked it like me.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

bookowlie wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 17:02

I don't think most of you saw the errors. After I submitted my Official Review, Scott contacted me to let me know the author updated the book with the errors I listed in the error section. As a result, I assume anyone who read this book after my review was published wouldn't have seen the errors.
Ahhh ok that is probay what happened, i was thinking "wow was i that wrapped up in the story?" Lol no doubt i was though.
Spath
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spath.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Spath »

I didn't think I would read this book but I did read the review and it sounds like for some it would be a great read. I love a good thriller/mystery and also am a history buff who knows I might check it out and see if it catches my interests Congrats on BOTM.
There is nothing to writing. All you have to do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I found enough errors that I was required based on the OBC guidelines to deduct a star. I wouldn't have given this book 4 stars anyway for the awkward dialogue between Angela and Alex and the excessive focus on their intimate relationship. I did think the 3 stars were warranted though since I enjoyed the visions of Sophia and Fioretta and the search for the painting.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

anix67 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 17:27 I have always absolutely loved loved loved art and It drew me into this book! I couldn't wait to read more and I would definitely recommend it to people. Although, I do realize that not everybody is as into art as I am so I guess it would be wise not to recommend it to everybody. I've been telling some of my art friends about it though for sure. I would also love to get some non art friends in on it and have people expand their horizons! Everybody could stand for doing so
I wouldn't consider myself interested in art at all, but I greatly enjoyed its inclusion in this book. Even if the painting were done by a lesser-known artist I think I would have liked. The inclusion of da Vinci was just a bonus.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

The nice thing about having a famous artist from history is that the author was able to tie other famous people to him...the powerful Medici family. I am intrigued about how she will handle the next installments. If other famous artists such as Rembrandt will be featured, it will be interesting if other notable people from that period will have a connection in the story.
Sakura12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sakura12 »

I love this kind of book full of mystery and its really interesting. It has a multiple themes of art, romance and mystery. In the middle of the book the plot becomes complex and vague. I would like to recommend this book to others because of its interesting themes as it will appeal to many art lovers=)
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I think Ami's book would receive better overall ratings if she is more open about the fact that this is a romance, not historical fiction. Avid historical fiction readers who aren't into romance novels shouldn't be the target audience.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”