Review by Kendra M Parker -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Kendra M Parker -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Belle Ami tells a story of love and art in The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci. Angela, an art historian, begins having dreams and visions when she receives a prestigious internship at the Getty Museum. Alex is a private detective that has been recruited to investigate Angela's lecherous boss, Scordato, and to look for a painting rumored to have gone missing from the Uffizi museum in Florence during World War II. When Alex encounters Angela experiencing a past-life regression, he finds himself caught up in a surprising need to protect her and a race to find the painting. Together, they search for the lost painting and explore the past lives of other couples who have been “cursed” by the circumstances surrounding the painting. As they search for their quarry, they face deadly opposition from Scordato, who wants the painting and is not afraid to kill for it.

This was an enjoyable romance and thriller, with a few paranormal elements thrown in for some added spice. While the book contains plenty of action and adventure, I felt that it was first a romance and second a thriller. Much of the book explores the relationship between Angela and Alex as they look for the painting. If a reader approaches this book hoping for something like the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, I think he or she will be disappointed, as I was initially. Instead of puzzles to solve, readers should expect a fast-paced romance with plenty of action to keep the plot moving. Once I altered my expectations to better align with the novel, I found myself really enjoying the plot and suspense of the book.

Readers should know that there were several sex scenes in the book and some strong language in a few spots. For readers accustomed to steamy romances, these sex scenes may seem somewhat tame in their descriptions, though there is still plenty of heat in them. Action scenes in the novel are exciting, but not gory or bloody.

My only real issue with the story was the way Alex started using pet names for Angela very early in their relationship. As the book progressed, the pet names increased in frequency. Unfortunately, rather than showing an increasing sense of intimacy, I felt they seemed a bit forced and sometimes threw me out of the experience. Perhaps my reaction had to do with the way the pet names seemed to clash with the romantic historical scenes and picturesque countryside of Italy. To me, they seemed out of place in the hunt for a Da Vinci masterpiece. Still, this does not significantly detract from the book. Since this sort of language is common in romance novels, other readers may not have any issue with this at all.

Overall, I give The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci 4 out of 4 stars. With very few technical errors and a smooth flow, I could see that it had been professionally edited. I enjoyed the book and I would recommend it to adult readers looking for a romance novel with plenty of action and adventure. Readers desiring a mystery full of puzzles or an intricately researched historical novel should look elsewhere.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to reading it.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Nice review. I recently reviewed this book too and I completely agree with you that once you realise that this is essentially a romance and not at all like the Da Vinci code- you can accordingly align your expectations and quite enjoy the book.
Kitten_30
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kitten_30 »

Its a good story,looking forward to read this book
zankhanadesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by zankhanadesai »

Thanks for the review. Like you said I was also imagining it to be more of a thriller, give the Title of the book :)
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

The title seems interesting. Thanks for your informative review. The paranormal elements make me wonder.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

meadhbh wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 19:42 Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to reading it.
It was fun if you go into it knowing what to expect. I think you’ll enjoy it!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Manali_DC wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 05:41 Nice review. I recently reviewed this book too and I completely agree with you that once you realise that this is essentially a romance and not at all like the Da Vinci code- you can accordingly align your expectations and quite enjoy the book.
It’s good to know that I’m not alone in that opinion! I really enjoyed it once I stopped looking for complicated puzzles to solve. :D
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Kitten_30 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 06:34 Its a good story,looking forward to read this book
I hope you have fun with it. Don’t take it too seriously and I think you’ll enjoy it.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

zankhanadesai wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 06:14 Thanks for the review. Like you said I was also imagining it to be more of a thriller, give the Title of the book :)
I think that if the titled was just slightly different somehow, it might have a better reception. From what I saw on the forums, that seemed to throw a lot of people and made its reception lesser than it would have been otherwise.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

prinjeh18 wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 07:38 The title seems interesting. Thanks for your informative review. The paranormal elements make me wonder.
As I said before, the paranormal elements add a touch of spice. If you have read as much sci-if/fantasy/paranormal as I have, though, this was a bit generic in its execution. It does not overwhelm the romance, though it is there to keep the plot moving. As with anything paranormal in literature, suspend disbelief for a bit and you can have some fun with it.
izzyskylar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by izzyskylar »

:D Great review, I think this book might be something I would be interested in reading
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

izzyskylar wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 16:02 :D Great review, I think this book might be something I would be interested in reading
I hope you have fun with it if you do decide to read it!
peace ojo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by peace ojo »

Great review, I'll read this book soon enough.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

peace ojo wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 07:38 Great review, I'll read this book soon enough.
I hope you enjoy it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”