Review by Julez -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Review by Julez -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Julez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This wonderfully illustrated book was written by R.D. Base who happens to be a mother of three young boys. Her experience with and around children especially boys cannot be denied.

Toni the Superhero is one of the few children’s books I’ve seen which disabuses the notion of Caucasians being the only superheroes on earth. Superheroes are not only adults but can also be found among children in our everyday world.

Toni is a cute little boy who is also a superhero. He possesses super powers but that still doesn’t stop him from being a good, obedient and responsible boy at home. He likes to read, draw, assist with the house chores and even rescue animals. He’s definitely a superhero with a difference.

Some parents have had difficulties in the past with their children who refuse to do their homework or house chores just because their supposed mission is to save the world as superheroes. Reading a book like this will help educate such children and make them realize that it is okay to be a normal boy and superhero too.

The author was also able to depict the need for children to eat healthy food like Toni. It is good to know that such fruits which children cannot be bothered with are eaten by superheroes. There are other actions carried out by Toni which are essential to the wellbeing to a child and I must commend the author of this book for emphasizing the importance of these actions through powerful illustrations which are self-explanatory.

As much as I enjoyed this book, I would have loved to know more of Toni’s superhero abilities asides from flying; after all the book is titled thus. Still, I love the lessons to be learned from this colorful book. Children are also made to see the importance of reading since superheroes also read. Hopefully, by the time the children are finished with this book, they would be eager to improve their reading lifestyle. They can also learn to be better citizens by being helpful to their family members and around their neighborhood just like Toni when he rescued an animal.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend this book to children of age five and below. It is a must have for parents with growing children as it can serve as a tool of reference for them. It’s also a great book for children who are learning to read. Toni the Superhero will always remind us that there is a hero in every one of us.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Julez's review? Post a comment saying so!
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I enjoyed your review and share your commendation to the author in creating a coloured male superhero. I found your closing lines also quite engaging and thought-provoking.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like that you mentioned the problem with superheroes only being white. This book sounds like it could motivate some children to do more chores if they think they will be superheroes. Great review!
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

I'm glad you share my POV, Bookmermaid😊. Thank you.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Yes, Laura Bach. It's a great book for kids. Thanks for noting my observation 😉
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The eating habits of the children can be changed by adopting the procedures of eating by Toni in the novel.
This is a trick you have made for enhancing the quality of the book. Thanks for your good work.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Yes, Fozia. It's an excellent trick to make the children eat healthy. I'm glad you share my view 😊
Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 04:53 The eating habits of the children can be changed by adopting the procedures of eating by Toni in the novel.
This is a trick you have made for enhancing the quality of the book. Thanks for your good work.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”