What is so fascinating about circus life?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Re: What is so fascinating about circus life?

Post by TaaraLynn »

P0tt3ry wrote: 01 May 2018, 09:56 The circus has always fascinated me because it seems to be a foreign country that travels from place to place. My father was a carnie during his teens and early twenties. He'd entertain us with stories of the behind-the-scene aspects of tear-down and set-up, including the mishaps. I visualized a close family on a constant adventure. The book described circus life but not in-depth. I wanted to know more about the Duke's circus family and was disappointed that people he was close to just disappeared from the story. Duke was an adrenaline junky and sword swallowing, with the constant chance of death, satisfied the itch. Adding more and more acts struck me as a way for him to find new ways to achieve the adrenaline high.
"A close family on a constant adventure." My childhood imagination and thoughts about the circus. A family doing something they all enjoyed. Together. While creating bonds with other doing the same. One big family.

I haven't read this, but it is sad that Duke's circus family goes off into oblivion. Especially, since it seems they had a bond and maybe helped to shape him.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I've read a few circus books in my life like The Night Circus and Water for Elephants, and they always make the circus life sound absolutely magical. I don't think I've been to the circus in over a decade, but I would want to go again after reading this book!
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ayomaamianda »

Circus is way of entertainment as people show their talents and skills but i can't see myself living a circus life. From the story circus life is depicted as a care free life, a life full of adventure and without limits. I think it will be difficult for me to watch circus performance as it will scare me even though am comfortable with reading circus stories. As for Duke he knew that one day he will leave his circus life.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I used to want to be this person. I dreamed of running away and becoming a carnie. I think the circus life is so interesting. Of course, it then becomes your whole life; your family, and you most likely experience a separation from the rest of the world. I don't go to the circus anymore. Although, when I am in Vegas I occasionally will stop by the shows at Circus Circus. I don't think only children can appreciate the skill involved.
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

Life in the circus is romanticized because it is so different from our everyday lives. The performers are out there in a different city every night, putting their lives on the line for the sake of entertainment. It is absolutely fascinating.

I go whenever I see that one is close to me. I respect people who have enough confidence their skills that they cheat death on a nightly basis. I find it very compelling.
Silahmom
Currently Reading: The girl who dared to fight
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silahmom.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Silahmom »

I havent finished the book so I cant answer all the questions.

But I'm like the sport of the circus! I love seeing people fly through the air and do tricks but I do not like the way the animals seem to be treated.

I do not go to the circus anymore. It's just not my favorite. I'd rather go to a movie!
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

While I have the book in my TBR pile, I have a theory about the appeal of circus life.

In a circus, many of the things we worry about in our lives are not a concern. Flat tire? We have to either repair it ourselves or pay someone to. In the circus, multiple people can work together to fix it. You don't have to do minor house repairs (e.g. replace light bulbs, repaint walls, mow the lawn, etc.) or deal with minor annoyances, rude neighbors or local businesses closing down, that people with a permanent address do.

Back during the 1800s, circuses also offered an alternative option for many people struggling or wanting to have a better life. People like the conjoined twins Chang and Eng Bunker were able to make money in the circus; many people were exploited by circus owners, but some saw it as their only way to earn a living or to be independent. I know some historians and authors have explored the ethical issues of this, but I cannot remember any specific authors, articles, or books right now. It is similar to why people became pirates - they really felt they had no other option and some times it was somewhat worth it, others it was not.

It is also sort of an old trope in literature - struggling individual (sometimes unwanted kids, sometimes stuck in an unhealthy family situation, sometimes facing financial struggle, sometimes not wanting to fill an expected role, sometimes with a skill no one seems to appreciate, etc) joins the circus, finds a group of misfits they connect with, gain money and fame as they develop a skill, triumph over their childhood bully or win over a childhood love interest, and triumph. Batman the Animated Series had a variation of this with a Killer Croc story-line in the episode "Sideshow" where he is rescued by former circus performers and connects with many of them.

It may be summarized as an idea of freedom from the minor irritants of life and some chances to travel and have a close family of choice.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Bookwormgirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl1.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Bookwormgirl1 »

I haven't been to the circus since I was six years old and so I don't remember much about it. I do remember the feeling of awe and loving the animals and the acrobatics. I would love to go again someday and would be interested to see how closely the actual circus resembles the descriptions in the book.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I've never gone to a circus before, but I think I would greatly enjoy the acts they perform there. I've watched circus acts though, and they sometimes look like illusions, mainly because I can't believe that they can even pull them off. It's really fascinating in a way.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Aubrey Cana Laine wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 09:27 I've never gone to a circus before, but I think I would greatly enjoy the acts they perform there. I've watched circus acts though, and they sometimes look like illusions, mainly because I can't believe that they can even pull them off. It's really fascinating in a way.
I agree. I suggest you watch the movie The Greatest Showman. You will enjoy it plus you'll have more ideas of what circus really looks like.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

:)
Bookwormgirl1 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:20 I haven't been to the circus since I was six years old and so I don't remember much about it. I do remember the feeling of awe and loving the animals and the acrobatics. I would love to go again someday and would be interested to see how closely the actual circus resembles the descriptions in the book.
You sure have an awesome childhood for having watched a circus live when you were young. Though the memories of the event now are not that clear for you anymore, what's important is that you remember the amazing feeling the show gave you.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

What I think is so great about the circus is simply the chance to enjoy something great you don't see everyday. It's kind of like this special and cool little place that is separate from the rest of the world.
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Riszell wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 10:27 :)
Bookwormgirl1 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:20 I haven't been to the circus since I was six years old and so I don't remember much about it. I do remember the feeling of awe and loving the animals and the acrobatics. I would love to go again someday and would be interested to see how closely the actual circus resembles the descriptions in the book.
You sure have an awesome childhood for having watched a circus live when you were young. Though the memories of the event now are not that clear for you anymore, what's important is that you remember the amazing feeling the show gave you.
This sounds really amazing! I have to admit that I'm a little jealous you got to go when you were younger! That you still remember those feelings seems be proof of how great the circus can be.
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Aubrey Cana Laine wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 09:27 I've never gone to a circus before, but I think I would greatly enjoy the acts they perform there. I've watched circus acts though, and they sometimes look like illusions, mainly because I can't believe that they can even pull them off. It's really fascinating in a way.
You should definitely check it out sometime! It can be really cool
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Christina O Phillips wrote: 01 May 2018, 10:21 I myself am drawn to the circus because it is so different from my day to day life: the activities, the food, the culture, the types of people. I enjoy stories that have a circus or traveling show as the setting (The Night Circus, a season of American Horror Story). I do not go to the circus anymore, but I do go to county fairs still. I am not done with this book yet so I can't answer the other questions.
I feel exactly the same way! The fact that it is just such a different environment from the rest of the world is what attracts me the most. And I also think that each circus is even different from the last making each one special in its own way

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”