Do you think Belle Ami will write more books around Angela and Alex?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: Do you think Belle Ami will write more books around Angela and Alex?

Post by Nmesoma »

Seems so, there is still much in the plot that is unanswered.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

The two past lives in this story already requires a suspension of disbelief. If Angela is going to have other past lives in Book 2, that would be mind-boggling. That's why I would have preferred she just had visions rather than past-life regression. Then it would make more sense to have visions about different people or artwork in the next books in the series.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I read a post from the author about her ideas for the next books in the series. She mentioned Picasso and Rembrandt. The "Out of Time" series could involve other people who lived in the past or other artists with misattributed works.

I don't think I can handle Angela as another woman of the past.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 03:39 I read a post from the author about her ideas for the next books in the series. She mentioned Picasso and Rembrandt. The "Out of Time" series could involve other people who lived in the past or other artists with misattributed works.

I feel the same way about Angela having more past lives. However, I am intrigued about including other famous artist in future books. The author certainly did a good job with the historical aspects in this story.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The ending definitely leaves it open for more stories with these two characters. Since Angela can travel back in time, the possibilities would be endless!
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Dael Reader wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 11:05 She probably will. But I wish she wouldn't. Not unless she does enough research to base the plot lines more solidly on art history. If Angela and Alex can start solving art mysterious with a more academic approach, rather than based on Angela's ridiculous past-life regression/spirit possession episodes, the stories could be a little bit more interesting. If she keeps basing the stories on sex scenes past and present, there will be very little to recommend about the books.
Well-- I have read books that use a lot of academia and research and facts as the basis for detective work! And those books are interesting and informative- but this book does not pretend to be anything like that! I thought it was a pretty unusual and interesting concept to have a main character who gets thrown into these situations because she seems to have a window into the past!
The title of the book, I think, automatically reminds readers of the Dan Brown books and a certain expectation . I reviewed this book recently and realised it is an enjoyable, vacation read of the romantic suspense genre!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Manali_DC wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 05:10
Dael Reader wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 11:05 She probably will. But I wish she wouldn't. Not unless she does enough research to base the plot lines more solidly on art history. If Angela and Alex can start solving art mysterious with a more academic approach, rather than based on Angela's ridiculous past-life regression/spirit possession episodes, the stories could be a little bit more interesting. If she keeps basing the stories on sex scenes past and present, there will be very little to recommend about the books.
Well-- I have read books that use a lot of academia and research and facts as the basis for detective work! And those books are interesting and informative- but this book does not pretend to be anything like that! I thought it was a pretty unusual and interesting concept to have a main character who gets thrown into these situations because she seems to have a window into the past!
The title of the book, I think, automatically reminds readers of the Dan Brown books and a certain expectation . I reviewed this book recently and realised it is an enjoyable, vacation read of the romantic suspense genre!
Dael Reader wrote: First of all, I wouldn't call it a romance. I would call it a lust novel. There isn't much real romance involved, since the primary activity of the main characters seems to be having sex. While the idea of solving the art mysteries with a "window into the past" could be an interesting one. I think it is very poorly handled in this book. Reincarnation does not work this way. Past life regression does not work this way. What Angela seems to be experiencing are some sort of overblown spirit possessions. The author might be able to run with that if she portrays Angela as a psychic, but she chooses to say that Angela is an intelligent art historian. That doesn't work for me.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Sushan wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 18:59 I think there is nothing for us to wonder since, amazon has revealed that this is the 1st book of a series, in the book description. :lol:
Sure. We can only wait and see if it really happens
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

With a book as successful as this, it would really be wise of her to write a series of this book.
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

I think it depends on her success and satisfaction with the first book. If she gets a great reader response I'm sure she will make an effort to build on her story and further her success. If the first book doesn't really take off, I think it would be kind of redundant to keep writing books around the same people.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 03:39 I read a post from the author about her ideas for the next books in the series. She mentioned Picasso and Rembrandt. The "Out of Time" series could involve other people who lived in the past or other artists with misattributed works.

That's great! I hope she will focus more on the historical aspects because I think that could be an area of strength for her in her writing. It also seems that a lot of the readers posting on here really enjoyed the mix of suspense, history, and art whereas the romance aspect of it fell a little short. I think Ami is probably great at researching for her books and if she focuses on what she is good at, her books could really improve.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

jo89220n wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 08:34 I think it depends on her success and satisfaction with the first book. If she gets a great reader response I'm sure she will make an effort to build on her story and further her success. If the first book doesn't really take off, I think it would be kind of redundant to keep writing books around the same people.
I have noticed authors give an indication that there will be sequels for their books and then a sequel is never published. I'm sure it is difficult to bounce back within a series if the first book doesn't get at least decent reviews. Overall, it seems like this book has gotten good ratings and has generally been enjoyed by readers, so it seems like a sequel will be likely given that was the original intent.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

Even if she is, I don't think it's necessary. I wish more authors could write stand-alone novels without sequels.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I don't mind sequels or multiple books in a series if the main character is interesting. In this case, I found the historical aspectsi nteresting, but I thought Angela was a little silly at times - all the falling unconscious in public was a little annoying after a while.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

I really hope Belle Ami creates more stories revolving around Angela and Alex. I would definitely be a reader of those books. The way the book ended leaves the possibility open for many more cases for them to solve.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”