Review by drunyan -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Review by drunyan -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by drunyan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Teenager Darwin Hastings, leaves Pittsburg, to live with his cousin, Luther Pinnelli, a star football player. Luther refuses to give Darwin money from Darwin’s personal trust fund, determined that Darwin make his own way. To earn his pocket money, Darwin first washes cars in Luther’s fleet, and does chores for Luther. He gains Luther’s confidence, eventually setting up high stakes poker games.

Darwin becomes good friends with Sweeney Pale, Luther’s girlfriend; and Dr. Adrian Melverne, an orthopedic surgeon, who becomes Darwin’s mentor. While Darwin is trying to work his way through high school and college, Luther’s life is full of scandal and drama. He is approached to “throw” a football game, thus manipulating the score. He marries Sweeney, who he doesn’t really love, is accused of using performance-enhancing drugs, is involved in high stakes poker games, drinks, has sex with a number of girls and physically abuses Sweeney, Then Betsy, daughter of Luther’s household manager, is missing, and Luther is one of the last people to see her. This is the mystery of the book, where is Betsy? Her body is found, and Luther admits to an affair with her. He claims he did not kill her. So, who killed her, and what was the motive? Why does Betsy, a professional swimmer borrow large amounts of money from Dr. Melverne’s daughter, Helen? Is it really because being a professional swimmer is expensive, or is there another reason?

Darwin tries hard to become financially independent from Luther. He is determined that he will be a doctor. He thinks that he might like to have a practice like his mentor. His mentality is different from Dr. Malverne’s though; he is more interested in showing care and concern with his patients. While Darwin is interning with him, Dr. Malverne sees one patient that has severe leg pain and swelling. Malverne's diagnosis is that the patient has a torn meniscus muscle and there is nothing he can do. The following week, Malverne puts off returning the patient’s four phone calls. Finally when he sees the patient, Dr. Malverne orders an ultrasound test, and discovers a blood clot. Melverne sends him to the hospital, where the patient is in acute respiratory distress from the blood clot for days. Darwin wonders what happened to him, looks at the notes in the patient’s file, and sees they have been altered. Darwin finds out that the insurance company policy is that all records be examined and edited so that no mistakes are listed, therefore lawsuits can be avoided. The patient sues Dr. Malverne, and Darwin is forced to choose between testifying against his mentor or ignoring his values.

I liked the theme of the book; the life Darwin chose was to maintain his values of honesty, caring, truth, and hard work. Midway through his studies, he realizes that he doesn’t want to be a person who lives with false values, exaggerated confidence or disregard for others’ feelings. The cover of the book is very artistic. It is indicative of the clean, honest life that Darwin wants to live, while the world around him is full of indiscretions, lies, deceit, and abuse. There are also excellent drawings in the book that reflect the content.

The main characters are well developed, and there are some surprise entanglements between the characters. Darwin, the main character is, “squeaky clean,” so when his wife has investigators checking his background and activities, they can’t find something, anything, that Darwin has done wrong. Yet Helen claims she has evidence of Darwin’s alienation of affection and a relationship with a colleague, a fellow student he has known for years.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were numerous places where the flow of words was awkward, particularly a fight scene where the men fighting – during the scene, the two men are referred to as the Hispanic and “the Black. There are run-on sentences, incorrect tenses, and a few misspelled words. As I read, I felt like I was reading a soap opera. There are too many things going on: affairs, a child produced as the result of an affair, murder attempts, hints of mob activity, marital abuse, sexual harassment, and the death of the housekeeper’s daughter..

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like drunyan's review? Post a comment saying so!
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think the premise of this book is interesting. A man that tries to keep honest and caring when circumstances are against him. I just think the characters, Darwin especially, might be a little "too good to be true" so now I want to find out if he´s hiding something. Maybe he´s really a genuinely nice guy.
I don´t have much problem with the soap-opera plot but I really don´t like:
drunyan wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 00:57
where the men fighting – during the scene, the two men are referred to as the Hispanic and “the Black.
I get spelling mistakes and typos, I just don´t think this kind of mentality is acceptable in 2018. Not unless this was said by an especially old-fashioned racist character.
Unlike you, I don´t like the cover, and it actually put me off from checking out the review for a while, until today. I´m perfectly aware this isn´t a legitimate reason to dislike a book, I just work in design part-time and I´m kind of biased that way, but I´m working on it.
Your review is great, anyway. Very thorough and complete. Thank you.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

Thanks for your comments. I too, struggled with the two men being called "the Hispanic and the Black." This part of the book seemed very intense, and I got the impression that it was written very rapidly. And I wondered what words could have been used instead of these two.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”