Dec 2015 BOTM ~ Feat. Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Re: Dec 2015 BOTM ~ Feat. Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KatSims92 »

The world definitely needs more inspiring autobiographies. We are all moved by inspirational stories of success and perseverance. It's refreshing that he didn't pull punches as to what his personal struggles were, when so often it's easy to glaze over the uglier sides of life. It certainly is surprising that one path he chose the way of the punk rocker!
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Your review really makes Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands sound like it's more than just another run-of-the-mill motivational how-to guide. It sounds like a fun read.

One part of your review really stands out; "The way he details this comes across as incredibly relatable despite his high status, as his search for his next challenge and his ordinary beginning allow anyone to see themselves making it there with the proper enthusiasm and determination." You were speaking about his rise from newspaper delivery to a real estate mogul.

Perseverance; Pushing thru the burn; Not giving up. That's how you get to the top. It's like a saying I've heard, "You can have what I have, if you're willing to do what I do." (I wish I could remember where that came from.)

Thank you for your great review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a nice review. I like the fact that Jorge is able to share his experiences from both the low and high moments in life. I would definitely love reading this book. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review. Anyone could use a bit of inspiration from time to time! The idea of burn zones are truly fascinating and a nice concept to learn from. This book is in my WTR shelf and I hope I get to it quickly. :)
Vic2read
Currently Reading: Shattered seam
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Vic2read »

This is an inspiring novel that helps
Someone to withstand the difficulty of life. I like the fact that the author likens life's trials to a burn Zone, since already a look of what he has experienced. Thank you for your review. :o
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

I had a quick read of the sample, and found it flowed well and peaked my interest. Jorge is indeed an inspirational character and tells his story candidly and in an entertaining way. This is definitely on my list of must-reads!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like the "burn zone" factor of the book as it makes the autobiography take an inspirational turn. I like inspirational books that cite the author's real-life experiences. I will add it to my to-read list. Great review.
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

I completely agree about wishing everyone could hear about Jorge's passion & determination. It seems like his work ethic is something that's been largely lost today, not to mention his perseverance in adversity. I loved hearing how at 11 he biked his ice cream tricycle 3 miles to obtain his health licences!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I'm honestly interested to see how he handles his "burn zones" because I feel like I have been in one lately.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Del7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Del7 »

This book is a great read! It is both inspiring and well-written.
InThePages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by InThePages »

Thanks for an awesome review. I love reading inspirational books and even watch videos to give myself the motivational boost. Books are the source of my own inspiration especially this kind. Definitely gonna read it! :D
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Burn Zones, by Jorge P. Newbery', presents to the reader, the core matter of the book! It touches our hearts, through the line, 'his search for his next challenge and his ordinary beginning allow anyone to see themselves, making it there (high status of the protagonist), with proper enthusiasm and determination'!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Yes, this book is beyond neat - it's simply amazing. The inspiration from Jorge is contagious. Moving from one enterprise to another. It's also noteworthy he started while so young and I credit his parents for his success. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Kelsey anne
Currently Reading: Murder on the Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kelsey anne »

It is very true that hard work pays off. Jorge P. Newbery makes this a theme consistently throughout the book Burn Zones. As a young boy before the age of 10, Jorge becomes a delivery boy for a newspaper company. Jorge was so money hungry he also landed a job for a competing newspaper company. Jorge was the type of person who loved to be challenged, especially when it came to making money. Ambition pushes Jorge further and further to the point he was bidding on real-estate spending millions at a time.
Surprisingly, Jorge is a huge punk fan which no one would know due to his success and high status. Jorge makes enough money to start his own punk label and starts producing albums. He was a huge supporter of the punk movement and this draws attention from the LAPD. This changes Jorge, and his feelings toward the police become irritated and he begins to challenge them which in return does not make them happy.
It is amazing what a person can achieve when they believe in themselves. This is a truly inspirational story and anyone who feels like they can't achieve something should pick this book up and give it a good read. Sometimes a little motivation and reassurance that anything is possible can go a long way. Don't give up on your dreams and don't be afraid to be the person your meant to be.
Ruth nunu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ruth nunu »

Burn zones by Jorge P.Newbery
I really enjoyed the book,it has teachings and inspirations in it like the fact that the author was too open to write about even difficult and embarrassing moments he went through,there is nothing more to add to this book or anything less to remove,the book is a piece of work

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”