Official Review: The Manifesto Murders by Nick Airus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Manifesto Murders by Nick Airus

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Manifesto Murders" by Nick Airus.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

FBI agent Ayden Holmes is assigned to the case of a lifetime when a man in a Guy Fawkes mask murders an influential elite, leaving behind a manifesto with a clear message: he will kill one corrupt and powerful person whose very existence is ruining the United States each week for three months. Each week Ayden is unable to catch the killer, and each week he receives a new manifesto describing why that person had to die and giving him clues as to who the next victim will be. As Ayden chases the murderer, he starts to uncover the not-so-secret "Deep State" behind the government, making him question what would really be best for the United States...catching the killer, or allowing him to clean house.

The Manifesto Murders is full of very real events and characters based on real people that will suck you into the novel. I love a good murder mystery, and Nick Airus definitely did not disappoint. The murders were creative and sometimes even amusing, as the murderer did his best to be outrageous and gain the public's attention. I'm not usually a violent person, but I have to admit that it was a little satisfying to see such corrupt people getting their just desserts. I really empathized with Ayden and his struggle to decipher what is "right" and what would be the best way to overhaul the U.S.'s corrupt system and replace it with something better, although the novel doesn't quite go into that much detail.

Unfortunately, although the story itself was entertaining and had a lot of promise, the book desperately needed an editor. I stopped counting typos and grammatical errors in the first 15% of the novel. There were a few times during the novel where I had to roll my eyes because the characters were either being childish or being described as complete geniuses and the best in their fields...despite being childish. Unfortunately, these inconsistencies and the clear lack of professional editing kept The Manifesto Murderers from becoming a potentially bestselling novel.

They also kept me from giving the book a full 4-star rating. If the book was cleaned up, I would have no problem raving about its greatness, but it's still an unpolished gem at the moment. Since I will probably recommend it to friends despite the lack of editing, I will give the book 3 out of 4 stars. I think anyone interested in murder mysteries or politics will enjoy this novel, and those who don't really pay attention to the news may find it eye-opening. However, you really need to have some interest in politics to have an interest in the storyline itself, so I would not recommend it to those who could care less about the government's internal corruption and attempts to cover up their own blunders.

I will warn potential readers that this novel put me in a very dark place while I was reading it. All of the corruption and scandal made me sick, and I genuinely felt that I didn't want to live in such a pathetic world. If you aren't careful, you may get sucked up into the manifesto murderer's way of thinking, as flawed as it is.

Editor's Note: Since the time of the review, this book as has been edited to clean up the errors mentioned by the reviewer.
The Manifesto Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dannytade72
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dannytade72 »

Seems like a nice book with excellent content and reviews.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

"what would really be best for the United States...catching the killer, or allowing him to clean house" I love the idea of the serial killer cleaning house while leaving crumbles behind. Too bad about all the typos. I would consider reading a polished version.
Berry :wine:
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Wow, a serial killer left a message after killing a particular corrupted person. Damn, I'm sold to this book. While reading your book, faces of the corrupted political leaders of my country came to mind. However, no worries, I wish nothing but they repented of their evil ways before death take them away. I would rather let God deal with them. Thank for sharing this with us and good review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I absolutely adore books with serial killers with unique MOs - my last review was about one and I'm reading another right now - and this one certainly fits the bill. I'd actually considered it that last time or two that I selected books, but ultimately picked others instead. Still, I'm glad to know that this book is a gem; too bad it's an unpolished one due to the many grammatical errors. I'll keep an eye out for a revised edition because I'd still love to read this tome.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wonder if this one would be too dark for me. In some ways, I do believe the corruption in government needs to be cleaned up, but this isn't the way to do it. It's too bad about the errors but sounds worth reading anyway. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ugbusco
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Ugbusco »

The book pointed out the hard way of justice. Sometimes things has to be done in an unusual way in order to correct the errors of the society.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love crime thrillers and your review really caught my attention. I appreciate your honesty about it taking you to a dark place, though. I experienced something similar recently, so I'll probably pass on this one, but thanks for the great review.
Tajammal Abbas

Post by Tajammal Abbas »

I absolutely adore books with serial killers with unique MOs - my last review was about one and I'm reading another right now - and this one certainly fits the bill, I'm glad to know that this book is a gem; too bad it's an unpolished one due to the many grammatical errors. I'll keep an eye out for a revised edition because I'd still love to read this tome.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I love the way that you write. I really enjoyed the part where you describe how some of the characters are described as geniuses though they have been portrayed as being really childish. Oh man! What contrasts!

However, this book belongs to a genre I usually don't enjoy, so I guess I'll avoid reading this one.

Look forward to reading more from you though!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A serial killer on the move to whip off all the corrupted officials reminded me of the ex-Singapore president/prime minister who bombed an entire building full of corrupted officials to make Singapore what it is now. Fascinating! The thing about serial killer is that their minds are so twisted yet have a certain logic at certain things they say even though their actions are against law and humanity. Tricky! Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

This book sounds to me to be in what I call the Rambling Genre, where the author will forsake plot and character to fit a theme they wish to exploit, while unintentionally acting as their own antithesis.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This serial killer sounds amazing. I NEVER thought I would ever utter those words. This sounds like a great read (hopefully I can handle the darker stuff). I do hope they clean up the editing. Great review
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Book lover26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover26.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Book lover26 »

I'm not into politics but this does sound like a good book. Your review captured my curiosity and i do love murder books. So i might just give this a try. Thanks!
Tris_heart
Currently Reading: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial

Post by Tris_heart »

I think this sounds like an interesting book to read. As I like mysteries and crime this sounds like a very intriguing book. One which I would love to read.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”