Review by madhupal2486 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
madhupal2486
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madhupal2486.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by madhupal2486 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by madhupal2486 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I must say I was intrigued by this book. The story is about a teenager named Darwin who comes to live under his celebrity Cousin's (Luther) guardianship. There are plenty of characters in the book and each character exhibits a different kind of characterization. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Darwin is way too matured for his age and finds his own way to make money when he is denied access to his trust fund. He sticks to his goal of becoming a doctor and works for it. He is smart and makes the best use of the resources that are available to him. Though his heart breaks twice, he finally finds his true love in Dominique.

Luther, on the other hand, is a gambler, abuser, drug addict, and a lot more. He fails to appreciate Sweeney’s love for him. The affair with Betsy though temporary doesn’t end well due to various reasons. He has wonderful people around him like Laszlo, Darwin, Eugene, Mrs. Thomas who take good care of him. He gets accused of drug use and murder, but finally finds his way back to his passion, which is football.

The Malverne family supports Darwin from the beginning. Dr. Malverne takes Darwin under his wing and mentors him. Helen and Coral, though sisters, have complete different mentalities. They always have a hard time finding their true love. Helen fails in many ways but finally settles in with her daughter Elizabeth which is not too bad for her.

The story is engaging but I felt there were too many bits and pieces which lacked connection. The story of Sweeney is left out. The mystery of Betsy’s murder, too, felt out of place to me. I felt that the author tried to cover too many things and could not justify them properly until the end. That is the reason I’m giving this book a 3 and not 4. The characters that felt close to my heart were Darwin, Mrs. Thomas, Laszlo, and Granny. The story made me believe in second chances and working hard for new beginnings.

The author has a hold on the reader with the sudden turn of the events but they rather seemed irrelevant to me. I stayed connected to this book through Darwin and only Darwin. Most of the other characters appeared pointless to me. All in all, this book is a good read. I enjoyed reading it. I look forward to reading more of William H. Coles’ books.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like madhupal2486's review? Post a comment saying so!
mrsazeem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mrsazeem »

beautifully written a life become to hard when do have no money and love this is very importent part of life nathing without both them this parson do very hard wrk and fanily got mony and love
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Sounds like too much drama for me. Thanks for your insights.
madhupal2486
Currently Reading:

Post by madhupal2486 »

teacherjh wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 20:13 Sounds like too much drama for me. Thanks for your insights.
Hey there, You're welcome. Yeah, its rather too much drama. Let me know what's your latest reading. Thanks!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

madhupal2486 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 01:17
teacherjh wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 20:13 Sounds like too much drama for me. Thanks for your insights.
Hey there, You're welcome. Yeah, its rather too much drama. Let me know what's your latest reading. Thanks!
I’d love it if you checked out my reviews. I read Becominf the Dragon which I wasn’t fond of, but the one I’m reading now is great.
madhupal2486
Currently Reading:

Post by madhupal2486 »

I will check out your reviews. Will let you know once I read them. Thanks for letting me know.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I agree with you that there seemed to be additional stories just cobbled onto the main. The neurotic women was my main bugbear.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
madhupal2486
Currently Reading:

Post by madhupal2486 »

I totally agree with you. It was overwhelming.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for nice review about the book which tells about the characters who in his teenage was too matured for his age and comes and lives in guardianship or his relative
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
madhupal2486
Currently Reading:

Post by madhupal2486 »

I appreciate your comment. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”