On Office Sexual Harassment

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: On Office Sexual Harassment

Post by lesler »

It was character strength, as she had to tolerate terrible things for everything she has worked for. Unfortunately, this is reality for lots of people in the workplace, and I hope it continues to change.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

While I have not read this book yet I think choosing not to address sexual harassment is not an indication of weakness. It's a very difficult position to be in especially if the offender stands between your goals or future. The choice should be simple but often times it's not. Also this scenario is not limited to the workplace. Tolerating the situation is does not mean you welcome the behaviour, some women just feel powerless and often hope the situation will work itself out but more often than not it does not.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Zain A Blade wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 14:21 I found the author to be astute in her portrayal of sexual predators. The antics employed by Dr. Alberto Scordato to subdue his potential victim, Angela, were at times subtle such as alternating between putting her down and showing false concern; and at times his maneuvers were quite overt and physical. One thing's sure: none of it was lost on Angela. Understandably, it is not easy to ward off sexual harassment, especially if it's coming from a person who can make or break your career. Given her circumstances, do you think Angela's initial forbearance of Dr. Scordato's sexual advances to save her career is a measure of character weakness or strength?
I thought it showed a lot of her strength as a formidable woman. I was inwardly cheering when she kicked him.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

It's never an easy thing admitting sexual harassment. It sucks that it is even a concern we need to have. I despise people who use their power to manipulate other people.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This is a very relevant discussion, especially now that more and more victims are finally coming out to nail their oppressors. Many of those exposed are men (and women) who have been honored for various achievements.

Sadly, Scordato is not a rare specimen. I believe Angela did the best she could under the circumstances. But in reality, the victim usually remains helpless and ends up traumatized.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

As an Ex-HR officer we handle these situations a lot. It's honestly a big issue! Sexual bribe for favouritism and gain promotions is a common issue. I can agree to a lot answers in the above since If your work colleague who is trying to harass you is in equal states a work then it would not be an issue but someone who is in a higher position if will be difficult even though most laws support employees.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
tkrapish
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkrapish.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by tkrapish »

I don't know if you could characterize the way Angela handled the sexual harassment as a strength or a weakness. She did ward off his advances, so in that sense she wasn't weak, but on the other hand she could have done more to leave the situation. I really did not focus on this part of the book too much because I was really pulled into the rest of the story, but it did make me think about the topic and wonder if Angela could have handled it differently.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

tkrapish wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 12:25 I don't know if you could characterize the way Angela handled the sexual harassment as a strength or a weakness. She did ward off his advances, so in that sense she wasn't weak, but on the other hand she could have done more to leave the situation. I really did not focus on this part of the book too much because I was really pulled into the rest of the story, but it did make me think about the topic and wonder if Angela could have handled it differently.
I also didn't focus on this aspect of the story. I think it was just a plot device for Angela to leave her job and be willing to work for Alex.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I thought it showed a lot of her strength as a formidable woman. I was inwardly cheering when she kicked him.
[/quote]

Hahaha, very funny! :lol:
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I think her response made a lot of sense in her situation. On the receiving end, it can be hard to tell for sure what someone’s intentions are until there have been several inappropriate incidents. We would all like to think we would report someone right away if something happened, but there can just as easily be circumstances that would make it incredibly difficult that do so.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Angela found herself in a difficult situation and considering that her job was at stake, she had no option but to act the way she did.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

Sexual harassment is the most predominant form of harassment in any work place today. Employers are coercing their employees into sex for no good reasons at all. In fact, there is no justification for their actions at all. Employees are just turned into mistresses at work place. That's not to say employees themselves do not sexually harass one another.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Jillpillbooknerd wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 07:03 As someone who has worked in an office setting where we had one of our employees get fired for sexual harassment, I don't think her reactions were really a strength or weakness. It's very hard to report someone that is in power or directly above you. I was glad that Angela was able to get out of that situation without it being worse for her. I liked the way that the author handled everything about that.
I agree with you.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I'm just glad to see a book that portrays this issue in such an open and honest way. So often, authors try to shove things like this under the rug - or worse, justify it by having the female character end up with her harasser. Everyone reacts to things like this differently, so I don't think we can really judge Angela's reaction in this scenario.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I agree with other posters in that it's difficult to choose one extreme or another. Sexual harassment from a superior is a nasty business, especially if there's a chance that reporting it could backfire. There are many factors at play, including the workplace environment itself, so choosing really depends on the situation. But I do think Angela's actions were commendable.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”