Views on profanity

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Re: Views on profanity

Post by Kristy Khem »

Profanity in writing depends on the storyline and the setting. In a modern book with modern characters like Final Notice, I think its fine because it is realistic. I'd say no to the asterisks - be bold with the words if you decide to use them. A book is like art, your readers will either hate it or love it either way.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Riszell wrote: 24 May 2018, 13:12 Profanities are obscene language but they are used as expressions. More often in real life, people curse or swear words to express their intense feelings. I think the use of such words actually contributed to specify the situations. Using asterisks for me would just make readers think why include a word if not intended to be read.
I agree with the using of asterisks would still make the reader think of the word anyways so it really seems kind of pointless to do it this way. I think that the author of a book (or even speaker of words in everyday life for that matter) needs to determine for themselves how they want their ideas presented to the world. If they think that they need to utilize curse words in the telling of their story to get their ideas and point across then that is a decision that they need to come to peace with for themselves.

Personally, I have never read a book where a swear word made it any more impactful in any real way. I think that swearing is easy because it requires very little thought to speak carelessly. I think that, John swore under his breath works just as well if not better than, "$@%&!" John exclaimed. I also think that swearing in a book can limit the audience as well, as those who do get bothered by it may choose not to read/buy the book because of the language used in it (if that is a legitimate consideration for the author of said book).
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Personally, I don't prefer reading or speaking profanity. However, I can understand that it is a common part of many people's vocabulary. Therefore, it is realistic for it to be part of certain character's speech. I don't remember feeling like your usage was excessive or unrealistic.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I think profanity is important when expressing certain characters’ feelings as well as certain situations in general. I would not advise using asterisks, as it would defeat the purpose of using the words in the first place.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

In my opinion, I believe that profanity is a part of today's society and I think it can become unrealistic when it is not used in writing, especially in situations of great stress and anxiety. I understand not including it in novels meant for young readers, however, I do think it has a place in adult literature. I do not have a problem with profanity as long as it does not become overbearing.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I think that you should use as much profanity as you want since this is your book, and you're writing to share your story with readers. If people don't like it, then they should skip it.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

I don't mind using profanity in a form of expression. It makes you feel the emotions of the character. Though there are profane words that can be replace such as "holy cow" or "what the fudge". Not offending and just expressing your feelings.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

Riszell wrote: 24 May 2018, 13:12 Profanities are obscene language but they are used as expressions. More often in real life, people curse or swear words to express their intense feelings. I think the use of such words actually contributed to specify the situations. Using asterisks for me would just make readers think why include a word if not intended to be read.
I totally agree. Omit the asterisks. I would also omit profanity if it feels misplaced. Of it doesn't contribute to character development or the story in any way, I see the profanity as obsolete.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

Omit the asterisks. I would also omit profanity if it feels misplaced. If it doesn't contribute to character development or the story in any way, I see the profanity as obsolete.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I think there was just the right amount of profanity. Just enough to get the point across and to create the correct atmosphere. At the same time, there wasn't so much that it read as trashy. I think asterisks would be a cop-out and would distract the reader.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

This book was clearly not intended for a younger audience so profanity should not be something shocking in a work of art. Writing a book is an artistic adventure and you are entitled to use the profanity as long as it moves the characters or story along. I say do what feels right and do not bend to public pressure.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Hi Van, I just read this book and wasn't at all put off by the profanity. In fact, I really can't recall much at all, so it must not have been abundant. It definitely didn't take away from the story. Asterisks would be viewed as a "cop-out" by me. Put in the whole word or don't do it all, I say.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

The use of profanity in this book wasn't too excessive for me. Perhaps I'm just used to profanity, but I felt that it was never unnecessary and was used to make a point within the narrative. Personally, I would prefer a book with a lot of profanity to one that was censored too much.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I honestly didn't even realize that other readers might have an issue with the use of profanity so I obviously didn't think it was too much. Or maybe I just overuse profanity in my daily life. :D Either way, I think the use of profanity in a book is completely fine and makes the characters seem that much more realistic. I would advise against using asterisks as I think it would cheapen your work.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I think profanity in writing makes sense if it helps to emphasize a point. I am not for profanity in books (and especially not in movies or TV) if it is used because writers were lazy with their vocabulary.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”