Official Review: Mare's Nest by Larry Darter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Mare's Nest by Larry Darter

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mare's Nest" by Larry Darter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mare's Nest by Larry Darter is a crime thriller revolving around a Los Angeles P.I. T. J. O’Sullivan's mission - finding a lost person. What seemed to be an ordinary missing person case turned into a real mare's nest. She got the gun that killed the kidnapper's accomplice, Jimmy Kamaka. When she reached her hotel suite, she found her client, Mr. Douglas Shaw, dead. Trying to extricate herself from a jam that was not entirely of her own making, she fled to hide while figuring out who framed her. Adam Morton, the kidnapper, was able to follow her. He tried to retrieve the money she got from Allison, her client's illegitimate daughter. When he didn't succeed, he abducted Mrs. Kathleen Shaw and Allison, and threatened T. J. that he will kill them if she could not hand him the money on-time. When both women were found dead, how will T.J. get out from this mess? What does it take to prove her innocence?

The unpredictable storyline with neatly-weaved  series of betrayal, conspiracy, friendship, lies, murder, and romance has hooked me up from the beginning until the end. It is narrated in T. J.'s first-person point of view. The emotional arc spins the readers to a roller coaster ride. The characters are likable, relatable, and realistic. Of all the characters, I like T.J. the most. She's a feisty heroine who has more than a sexy body. I love her wit and her strength. On the other hand, greediness has destroyed the antagonists.

I fell in love with the descriptive scenes, the turquoise water of the Pacific, the sandy beaches, and the elegant hotels with fine dining (shrimp fettuccine my favorite!). It made me dream of going there someday. The story still lingers in my mind long after reading. It has a high potential to gain compliments from the viewers if  filmed.

Chapters 16 and 17 are narrating the same events; skipping the details on how T.J. managed to escape from Ken (Kathleen's lover who is also Shaw's family driver), who tried to exterminate her. Some conversations are flat. Wrong verb used, irregularly broken sentences, missing words, wrong and missing punctuation, run-on sentence, weird question, and grammatical errors hindered my reading flow.

I rate Mare's Nest by Larry Darter 3 out of 4 stars. Though this book can entertain all the audiences regardless of the genre preference, I recommend this book specifically to all lovers of crime / thriller / mystery / horror genres who are 18 years old and above. There are swear words and foul scenes not suitable for very young audiences. It's best to post this disclaimer despite the few swear words and scenes (murder) to warn those who have reservations on these subjects.

Mare's Nest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the detailed review! It seems like a fast-paced and exciting read.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

gen_g wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 23:29 Thanks for the detailed review! It seems like a fast-paced and exciting read.
You're welcome.

Yes it is.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can guess how the protagonist feels, like "how did I get into this? What am I suppose to do? Who can I trust?" Sounds like a cat and mouse chase. I wonder who won, did she get safe? Better find out. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 00:01 I can guess how the protagonist feels, like "how did I get into this? What am I suppose to do? Who can I trust?" Sounds like a cat and mouse chase. I wonder who won, did she get safe? Better find out. Thank you for your review!
Your questions will be answered after reading the book. You'll surely love the twists and turns.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Your enjoyment in reading this book is contagious. I can feel it. Thank you for your detailed review. Another book to my shelf.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 07:04 Your enjoyment in reading this book is contagious. I can feel it. Thank you for your detailed review. Another book to my shelf.
It's my pleasure.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

This book sounds alright. I've read many of this genre, so there is little that can surprise or shock me. All I require now is a good story with fun characters.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This book sounds exciting and I like that the female lead is "more than a sexy body." Your paragraph about the descriptions in the novel made me want to read it. I'll pass just because I'm a sensitive reader who avoids graphic content in fiction, but I enjoyed your review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

DathanReeves wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 13:20 This book sounds alright. I've read many of this genre, so there is little that can surprise or shock me. All I require now is a good story with fun characters.
Of the mystery thriller books I had read, this book's twists and turns had surprised me. The well-crafted interweaving of the mysteries had gripped me until the end.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

SamSim wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 10:38 This book sounds exciting and I like that the female lead is "more than a sexy body." Your paragraph about the descriptions in the novel made me want to read it. I'll pass just because I'm a sensitive reader who avoids graphic content in fiction, but I enjoyed your review!
Thanks to your kind comments. I understand your reservation on graphic content
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This book sounds like a fun ride. I think I should return to this one once I'm done with my current reading list.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

It looks like Dolor has summarized the book well without spoilers. It looks like a fun read, and the reviewer gives it a high recommendation when the reviewer comments
The story still lingers in my mind long after reading.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

The descriptions sound beautiful and I love a book that has a bit of everything. It's such a common theme of great books that just miss the mark because of editing. Thank you for the great review
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow. It sounds like an exciting ride. I would probably like this one.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”