Review by nikkyteewhy -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Review by nikkyteewhy -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by nikkyteewhy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret is an inspirational book by Rob White. The book is an autobiography about his life from his childhood to his adulthood. Rob White grew up in a mill town; he had two sisters and two brothers. He was destined to be a factory worker like his father and his grandfather. It was evident the author was dissatisfied with his life in the mill town. He demonstrated his dissatisfaction by refusing to partake in some of the town’s ritualistic activities. He chose to get his hair cut by a skilled barber in the neighboring town instead of the one in his town. Rob was a hardworking young man who discovered the values of hard work from his youth.

Rob White stood for what he believed despite what the consequences of defiling authorities were. He went against the town’s norm by applying to college. This decision disappointed his father so much who wanted his son to become a factory worker like him. Rob White lived his life returning similar kindness shown to him to other people and these acts of kindness yielded favorable results. He learned to live a practical life of hard-work and relaxation. He sought advice from "gurus" all over the world. Rob realized that there are some unexpected gurus and these unexpected gurus had a significant impact on his life and transformed his life. At the beginning of each chapter, he states the myth he believed in and the chapter discusses his real-life experience. He concludes the chapter by stating the reality he now believes in.

This book is a narration told from the first-person point of view. I learned many life lessons from reading this book. I learned to remain true to myself rather than fitting in. Hard work, following protocols and not cutting corners is a reoccurring theme in this book. I learned to never to underestimate myself. I learned that rather than to embarrass people for doing wrong, it is a more valuable lesson to show kindness to them. It pays to be smart when one is involved in business dealings. The book has typical values and lessons identified in inspirational books but delivered in a quite a unique way. The author is shown to possess good values. He was courageous, hard-working and resilient. He equally had fun with some daring adventures. The author also wrote about his flaws and the mistakes he made which makes this book easy to relate to. He picked himself up after every set back he suffered.

However, I noticed the writer was careful not to involve any deity in his story though he did talk about God a couple of times. I felt he was merely trying not to sound religious. I detected few errors in the book, capitalization error and at a point; he started a sentence with a conjunction. These errors did not detract from the book. There are creative ideas in this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There are creative ideas in this book. I felt inspired indeed while reading this book. I recommend this book to the young adult trying a find their way in this world. I also recommend it to matured minds and adults who need rediscover themselves and I recommend it to those who want to go into daring business. However, I do not recommend it to children and people who do not like inspirational books.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nikkyteewhy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I read the beginning of this book. It did sound like it would have some good life advice.
nikkyteewhy

Post by nikkyteewhy »

teacherjh wrote: 24 May 2018, 16:21 I read the beginning of this book. It did sound like it would have some good life advice.
Indeed it does, it has a lot of good life advice.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It is an amazing self-transforming book. The author beautifully elaborates all the details pertaining to his life and career. Thanks for your comprehensive review. I have also rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. You can check out mine.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
nikkyteewhy

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 02:10 It is an amazing self-transforming book. The author beautifully elaborates all the details pertaining to his life and career. Thanks for your comprehensive review. I have also rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. You can check out mine.
I agee with you. I will check yours out too.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”