Official Review: A Mothers Love by Bettyrose Woody

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Official Review: A Mothers Love by Bettyrose Woody

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Mothers Love" by Bettyrose Woody.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Mother’s Love, a memoir written by Bettyrose Woody, is an emotional novel about the life of a young girl-turned woman too early, with no one to whom she could turn. The novel recounts several mind-boggling experiences which powerfully strike at her innocence, and at the heart of her struggles is the gaping distance separating a daughter and her self-obsessed mother. Bettyrose Woody lays out the foundation of how the love, and the fear, she held for her mother shaped both her adolescence and her adult life.

I can honestly say that Woody’s novel started out with a bang. Her introductory chapter had me hooked all the way through to the end which presented an intriguing cliffhanger. Actually, she ended many chapters on cliffhangers that made me want to keep reading and find out more about her weary life. I love the way Woody writes. She drags out a lasting pity in readers by writing fragmented sentences that hold a lot of meaning both individually and together.

Characterization was well done. I was easily able to identify the most influential people in Woody’s life, both positive and negative. The characterization of her mother is especially done well, as she had the largest impact on Woody’s life; in this effect Woody’s book title became increasingly apparent to me as a reader as I read. She does no lackluster job in showing just how affected she was by the several people and events in her life that ultimately changed her. She also does extremely well in describing Fassad, her primary love interest in the book. I often felt scared for her, reading of the dangers she faced with him and wondering what would happen next.

As an author writing about her life, Woody makes sure that her readers never forget how terrible her life was and, while she succeeds in drawing empathy from her readers, she also manages to hinder her storytelling. Phrases, descriptions, and events were repeated so often that I felt as though sympathetic feelings were being forcefully squeezed from my being. After a while of reading things I’d already read before in various forms, the story was no longer fun or enjoyable to read; it lost its appeal. I actually started recognizing phrases by the way it began and had to force myself to not skim through them. In the beginning, I thought it was a minor problem, these repeated sentences and such that had just been mentioned a few paragraphs before; but then, I realized that it would become one of the most harrowing issues within the novel.

Alongside this problem was the organization of the story. To be frank, the organization was a mess and I felt like a mess reading it because I found too often that, ironically, I couldn’t even remember something I had read previously. This is because Woody often brought up people and events that she would merely touch on in one chapter, completely forget about them for chapters, and then suddenly throw them back in readers’ faces later on. Several times, I was ready to hear about this person’s or this place’s connection to her and the influence they/it had in her undesirable life (as she blatantly foreshadowed a later involvement), and then I’d be left hanging in the middle of the chapter wondering why she even mentioned it in the first place.

Readers will see this especially with her belated introduction of Alton, which she continuously references as a life-changing experience for her. I was just waiting for the day in my reading where I’d finally catch her describing her experience at Alton instead of just vaguely mentioning it multiple times. Her details at Alton eventually came several chapters later.

Reading the novel which lacked severely in organization was extremely frustrating. Not chronologically, the story skipped brokenly from early adulthood; to teenage years; back further to childhood; then, abruptly, teenage years again; and finally, a return to adulthood. If this worked creatively with proper transitions, it would have been fine, but instead it hindered my understanding of what was occurring at particular times in her life. Honestly, if she had written of her life in chronological order – as it had truly happened, because I highly doubt she skipped around in years like this in reality – the plot would have made much more sense. Everything that happened to her in the past literally formed her future, and after reading the majority of the novel and piecing together all the information that I had read through, suddenly everything about her adulthood mentioned in earlier chapters made sense.

While the novel is extremely sad in that these events happened to someone so young in such a way that ultimately damaged her for life, I cannot ignore the novel’s mistakes and give it 4 stars. Aside from the unnecessary repetition, the lack of necessary description, and the lack of an understandable sequence of events, the story also had many grammar, punctuation, and general mistakes, such as: doubled words in one sentence, missing letters and punctuation. There was even an instance in which, for whatever its intended use had been, piece of an HTML had not been removed from the page.

Therefore, I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. As this is no book for leisure reading, I would recommend this novel to those in need of an account which might help them out of a situation much like the one Bettyrose Woody presented in A Mother's Love; for those who need reassurance that life looks up in the end.

A Mothers Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tamorie21's review? Post a comment saying so!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like a compelling story. A pity though about the organizational and editorial errors.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Thanks for the review. At first I wanted to read the book, but now knowing about the disorganization, editing issues, and the repetitiveness I think I will pass.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an intriguing read, but the lack of organisation and errors are a serious turn-off. Great review!
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

From the beginning of your review, I felt drawn to the story already and hoped there wouldn't be any hitches. It's so sad there were. Over flogging a theme in a story can make it become boring, annoying even, for the reader. Thanks for your detailed and engaging review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The theme of the story is very touching, but sometimes I feel as if the author has exaggerated it too much. I don't like a read that exaggerates too much, it can turn out to be boring and annoying as well. Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

It sounds like the author wanted to do a slow reveil like in The Prestige, but didn't know how to make certain scenes connect regardless of the timeline.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Yikes - the organization of this book sounds a mess! Good job for sticking all the way to the end!
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Corhan2 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 08:00 Thanks for the review. It sounds like a compelling story. A pity though about the organizational and editorial errors.
It was a pretty compelling story! The painful way in which she writes of her life makes you want to keep reading it, to see when it all got better, if it ever did; but, yes, the errors certainly failed the story big time.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

AmySmiles wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 09:33 Thanks for the review. At first I wanted to read the book, but now knowing about the disorganization, editing issues, and the repetitiveness I think I will pass.
Yes, honestly, if I had been aware of the book's problems beforehand, I don't think I would have wanted to read it, either. It was truly frustrating to read through.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Nimat87 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 10:02 From the beginning of your review, I felt drawn to the story already and hoped there wouldn't be any hitches. It's so sad there were. Over flogging a theme in a story can make it become boring, annoying even, for the reader. Thanks for your detailed and engaging review.
Yes, that was exactly the problem! Some parts of the story were so excessive when there was no need for it to be. I'm certain that most of the story would have been fine with simple description of her feelings and such. I would have liked it much better. Also, I'm really thankful that you enjoyed my review!
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

DathanReeves wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 15:10 It sounds like the author wanted to do a slow reveil like in The Prestige, but didn't know how to make certain scenes connect regardless of the timeline.
Certainly! A successful slow reveal with proper transitions would have been totally fine and possibly interesting all the way through. I know for sure the novel would have been more enjoyable with proper connections between chapters.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

KristyKhem wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 17:30 Yikes - the organization of this book sounds a mess! Good job for sticking all the way to the end!
Even I was surprised at how I actually finished reading, especially since it took me an entire month to finish a book of only 150 pages! :lol2: But I sincerely wanted to know how her story ended, and I'm glad I did finish. The last chapter was the perfect ending; probably the most befitting of the entire novel.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The author's story is great though the organisation and the errors disappoint. Thanks for the thorough review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Great review! I especially loved the line about sympathy being squeezed from your being. This sounds like a painful book in many satisfying and unsatisfying ways. The disorganization, repetition, and lack of editing are going to keep me away from this one.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”