Review by ShailaSheshadri -- Illustrated Short Fiction o...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by ShailaSheshadri -- Illustrated Short Fiction o...

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles

This book contains 33 award winning short stories, 2 graphic novels, and a novella. Each of these stories is enchanting and intriguing with their vivid characters, suitable scenery, befitting settings, memorable dialogue, and perfect storyline.

The beginning story ‘The Gift’ is the tale of a teenage, unwed girl who gives birth to a crippled female baby. The story is all about parents’ concern to the unexpected teenage pregnancy, single motherhood, reactions of the society, the challenges to bring up the disabled kid and make her a competent person in the society. This is one of the examples of the stories in this compilation. Honestly, I found nearly all the stories fascinating, except 2 or 3. Most of them arouse heartfelt emotions and feelings and keep the readers glued to the story.

None of the characters and the storyline is alike in the entire book. The heterogeneity of the characters, plots, sets, and the scenes in this book make the reading enjoyable. I planned to read two tales a day, but ended up reading 3-4 at a stretch. These stories are not interconnected; hence absolutely no need to read them at a stretch. It was my undisturbed curiosity that made me read longer in a single sitting.

Most of these stories begin with an illustration or two. They support the storyline and make the reading delightful. My favourite stories are, ‘The Gift’, ‘Speaking of the Dead’, ‘The Indelible Myth’, ‘The Necklace’, ‘The Amish Girl’, ‘The Cart Boy’, ‘The Activist’, and ‘The Thirteen Nudes of Earnest Goings’, to name a few. I didn’t find the graphic novels much enticing to me, as the stories were repeated.

The novella, ‘Sister Carrie’ is the true gem of this story collection. I finished reading it without a break and almost not blinking my eyes in between. Just like the other tales, even this has moral, hidden deep feelings, warmth, love, religion, and positivity.

I didn’t like the cover page much. I was expecting it to be much better. There were a few grammar mistakes, unusual gap between the letters in a few words, and also, abnormal gap between two words. However, they don’t disturb the smooth flow of the story or reading delight. I hope editing of the book will make it flawless.

Considering the above, I award this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is a book for the public. As each story in the compilation is different from one another, the book as a whole touches all walks of life. I appreciate the author for selecting fascinating plots, alluring storylines, and befitting story presentation style. I congratulate him for his artistic writing finesse that makes each tale in this compilation intriguing and worth reading.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ShailaSheshadri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kentay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kentay »

This wonderful book is definitely quite intriguing and multi -facted as the storyline has to deal with issues of modern family as it touches the heart so many who gone through these issues that have been displayed in the story
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:

Yeah. You are right. This book is an amazing collection of engaging stories which are relevant to the modern society.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I love short stories! This sounds like there is a lot of things packed into one book. I am glad to hear that you wanted to keep reading past your daily goal. I will have to add this to my reading list!
Thanks for the review!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:

Thanks for your comment. True! This is an intriguing short story compilation. Majority of the stories stole my heart. I finished reading the book earlier than my stipulated schedule.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I've read this collection too. I also loved "The Necklace" and "The Amish girl", but my favorite was "The Miracle of Madame Villard"! The Novella was really interesting and kept me hooked, I'm so happy that there was a happy ending. Thank you for your review!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:

Thanks for your admiring comment. You are right. This collection includes many fascinating stories. I am glad that you too enjoyed reading quite a few of them.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”