Do you research a book before you read it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Do you research a book before you read it?

Post by RabidFox »

Personally, I like to have some kind of idea of what I'm going to read first. I prefer to know a little about the setting, a little about the plot, a little about the characters, and maybe a little about the author. Basically, I want to know if I'm making a good choice beforehand. I don't want to start reading something and then find that I dislike it and have wasted my time. You can only read so many books in a month and so many books in a year and so on. It's not like it's a film and it's going to be over in an hour. I can always watch something without spending a great deal of time concentrating on it, as you do when you read a novel. The idea of just picking up any old book is not appealing to me. I prefer to use my time wisely, and look for things that I will really enjoy.

What are your thoughts?
Micoto
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Micoto »

I just want to know what its genre cause I like being surprised by the story.
Book lover26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover26.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Book lover26 »

I also like to research the books beforehand, mainly the author, the reviews and the author's previous books. You just can't from the summary on the back of the book alone, while this may be very well written and draw you in, there is still the possibility the book will not meet the standard of writing that you expect just from the summary. There is nothing worse than picking up a book only to find its lacking and you just can't get into it.

I recently read a book, where the summary was fantastic, I researched the author etc, when I came to the reviews it was mainly 4 stars I think there were only 2 reviews with less than 4-star ratings. Was really looking forward to getting stuck in. It was poorly written and I just couldn't get into. Unfortunately I had no choice but to finish it and it just didn't give me that sense of being lost in a book at all.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

If the description provided with the book isn't that good, I usually look around to get a better idea of the plot. Then I use that to decide if I wanted to read it or not.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
mgosselin137
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgosselin137.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by mgosselin137 »

I will normally read the description of the book on the cover as well as the first few pages and a couple pages from somewhere in the middle. I find that the writing style of the author has a significant impact on my opinion of a book. I try to read a few pages to get an idea if the voice is one that will appeal to me or not. It is always a let down when the plot sounds fantastic and the book has great reviews, but the writing just doesn't hold my attention.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Generally, the only "research" I do is read the intro on the dustcover. I get quite a few recommendations from friends and fellow bookclub members though.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

If someone recommends a book to me, I usually go to Amazon and read the reviews first. I also ask around to see if any of my friends have read it or heard anything about it. I do hate starting a book that shows promise only to find that the writing style just isn't for me or that the book is just boring. So, I sometimes get a sample of it or click on the look inside feature on Amazon. That usually gives me a good idea of whether or not I can get into reading it.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I like going in cold. I have never seen the point of researching a book. It's usually just: enter the bookstore, glance around, read the backs, judge the covers, make a decision.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

Some books I pick up I prefer to be a bit of a surprise. Others I will read a page or two in the middle as well as the description. I don't tend to do any other research.
Kelsey anne
Currently Reading: Murder on the Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kelsey anne »

I do research a book before I read it. I will read anything so I try to find books that truly sound intriguing because it sucks when you get hyped for a book and then the ending disappoints you.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I like to research the author if I have never heard of them before. I actually like to research a book after reading it, just to see what others thought of it since opinions differ.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

Not unless it's a book for research for school and I don't want to read all of it. Sometimes when looking up a book to check it people who review it reveal too much and it spoils the story.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

Usually reading the book's summary is good enough for me. I'm too afraid of finding spoilers.
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

I agree completely. I also have a very hard time quitting books. I always feel obligated to finish what I started, so if I find that I hate a book, I'm mentally condemned to finish it anyways, which is extremely frustrating. I always try to research brand new books or go from recommendations or "books similar to X" lists. That way, I can enjoy everything I read to a certain extent.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I read the plot, some reviews, and them jump in. If I can't make it past 25%, then I have to let it go.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”