Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mahrukh Zaman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Mahrukh Zaman »

Its true that dating or being in love with someone is the best feeling one can ever get through. But it requires the respect of other person's preferences an likes and dislikes.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Reading from some comments above, I guess some will find it hard to marry a person who does not enjoy reading. For me, there is pretty that those dating will find as their common interests and hence I may not expect the person I'm dating to like everything I do.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Traci24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-traci24.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Traci24 »

I can honestly say, yes. I can be or rather have been married for 15 years to someone who dislikes reading. It's ok to have differing interests because that's what makes everyone who they are. We would not get anything accomplished if we both spent time with our noses in books (my thing) or tinkering with wood (his thing). Hobbies give us time for ourselves which is needed in any relationship. :D
Rhoda 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Rhoda 2 »

Reading is not everyone's thing so my answer will be yes. I believe there is alot we can talk as am not going to read the whole day or the whole night. Need a chat to break monotony
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Yes. I am married to him.
:techie-studyingbrown:
PaulK491

Post by PaulK491 »

I have been around people all my life who adamantly claim that they wouldn't be caught dead reading a book. The usual claim is "that is old fashioned, haven't you heard of the internet". I always respond with "walk into any large library, you will be surrounded by a large world of information or looked at another way, the best and cheapest entertainment in the world."

I read a book once that talked about Hitler and the Nazis burning books by the truck load. I was mad as hell for a week!!!
Genevievei

Post by Genevievei »

Yes I could date someone who doesn’t read. Not everyone in the world enjoys reading but I’m not gonna stop dating someone just because they don’t like to read you know? They might have a great personality and we might click so why let the fact that he or she doesn’t like reading books get in the way of being with someone who might make you happy either way?
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I am currently in a relationship with the man that I intend to marry. He does not enjoy reading. We have had no difficulty in our relationship due to our difference of opinion on books. When we spend time together and he has work to do, I will read. If anything, it has prevented there from being a strain in our relationship. We can spend time together in comfortable silence, and it is a wonderful way to bond.
meisnor9955

Post by meisnor9955 »

Reading isn't for everyone, which is fine, but if someone were to say they don't read because they hate books: that would be a deal breaker. I think reading is important for developing empathy, a growing imagination, and learning (learning about different topics, learning new vocabulary, etc.). However, there are different ways those traits can be developed, so reading is not the only way a person could develop them. Some people just don't have the time or attention span for reading, and everyone has their different hobbies. As long as a person was not maliciously avoiding books then I think it would be fine with me.
aks9120
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 4145

Post by aks9120 »

I have been married twice to two very different men. The first one was dyslexic before people treated it and didnt read well. He didnt read much but when i read long books,like all the harry potter books outloud to my kids,i would catch him listening.he reapected the fact that i enjoyed reading though. He wasnt a great husband but i did enjoy it when he listened to me read.
My current,wonderful husband reads but would rather watch t.v. he reads different books than i do.he teases me about how much i read but he respects it,he even buys me books and takes me to the library.if i were dating someone who had a problem with my reading,he would be gone. if they dont read and i do, but it doesnt interfere with my reading,i think it works.i will read while my kids watch cartoons or my husband watches tv but i will still curl up on the couch and spend time with them even though we are doing different things and it works well for us.
Ealin
Bookshelf Size: 60

Post by Ealin »

I think that would come down to whether or not the person still understands and accepts/appreciates my love for reading. I couldn't date a person who doesn't understand at all why I read and therefore won't give me the time to do so. But I still think it would be a bit difficult because I talk about books a lot and am very involved in the book community. So I would like to talk about that. If the other person would still be somewhat interested in me talking about that (because it is what interests me and that makes them happy) then everything is fine. I can show support for hobbies I don't have as well.
bellezy17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by bellezy17 »

Well I think I could. I could share if I read books or what I'm reading.I will make Them interested in reading books. I guess That's much easier.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

As long as they allow me to vent about my current read, and are open to listen to the story line from my perspective then I don't really mind it.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I married a man that hates to read. It works out pretty good for us. I read the books and he has to listen to me describe the book.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I've dated people who didn't read before, and none of them worked out. My boyfriend now is an avid reader, he actually is the one who got me back into reading more, and it's been my best relationship ever. Whether this is a coincidence, I can't say, but people who read seem to be better communicators and more understanding partners!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”