Official Review: Dawn Power Dream by James M. Gabagat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Dawn Power Dream by James M. Gabagat

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dawn Power Dream" by James M. Gabagat.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dawn Power Dream: Guild Chronicles of Revolution and Violence by James M. Gabagat is a fantasy adventure set in Valtasia. Syramont Qinjai Altavi, The Mad Vangkaim, and Isys - a Braestani woman who is Altavi's friend and occasional lover - are the Dawn Power Trio, three warriors tasked with maintaining order over the poor and oppressed. Their first mission is to recover a stolen medallion belonging to Syramont Marlow Guneka from a young thief, Twige, and his gang.

Vangkaim is a sadistic, violent attention-seeker who once released a book of short stories about incest, bestiality, necrophilia and other taboo subjects just to make a name for himself. By contrast, Isys abhors violence, preferring to resolve conflicts peacefully wherever possible. Altavi is cold and pragmatic about the killing of others. He reasons away the death of teenage boy Twige by saying he wasn't a child and he chose to join the wrong sort of people. Isys believes this is Altavi's way of avoiding guilt.

King Aira Falon's Paladins arrest Guneka for treason and strip him of his worldly possessions. Meanwhile, bounty hunter Suvessi enlists the help of the Dawn Power Dream Trio to transport a captured thief, Siamprima Bubette - a self-involved pretty boy - to the capital city, Valabel. In the course of their travels, Altavi decides to add others to the Dawn Power Dream Regime, including Guneka, who has access to a yacht they can use. Altavi volunteers to take on a contract worth one hundred thousand gold cerins, a rescue mission to the creature-infested island of Manganga.

Gabagat's writing is easy to read, his sentences relatively short and neat. In this regard, the book is well-edited. Unfortunately, there are a few unexpected changes of tense and many uses of incorrect words. Some examples are: "walk passed" for "walk past", "use to" for "used to" and "did its worse" for "did its worst". Commas are also often used instead of semicolons or sentence breaks. In addition, the early self-description of Giavi Lychee seems more fitting to a man describing an attractive woman than a female point of view. It is a little coarse and focussed primarily on her most obvious physical attributes, which I don't believe fits with how a woman would describe herself.

Having said that, these are really the only negatives for me about this book. Gabagat has a dry sense of humour which works well. Comical events often hit the reader suddenly, surprising you into laughter. The humour and the sharply written dialogue are often coarse and sexually oriented. I didn't have a problem with this, but those more sensitive to sexual jokes and coarse language might want to avoid this book.

The characters in Dawn Power Dream are clearly delineated with their own individual traits and eccentricities. From the inappropriate behaviour of The Mad Vangkaim to the strength and power of Suvessi and the detestable greed of Guneka, the separation between personalities is excellent. Particularly vain and self-involved, Bubette takes on the role of comic relief. At one point he says: "I guess I'm just exceedingly intelligent. Handsome and intelligent. By the Gods, I wish I could mate with myself." Character histories are well-developed, enabling the reader to better understand their motivations and what they are willing to do to survive.

Gabagat writes some quality descriptive passages to depict physical locations, providing enough detail to give the reader a clear mental picture. There are also some interesting plot twists where certain character allegiances change unexpectedly, and an interesting interlude detailing some history and mythology of the gods of Valtasia. The main themes in this book are loyalty and honour, as the members of the Dawn Power Dream Regime are all warriors fighting for a cause. They each take a blood oath upon joining the guild, the idea being that they always stay together and are members until death.

Overall, I enjoyed Dawn Power Dream. It seems shorter than its 700 pages, contains well-developed characters, some enjoyable humour, and an entertaining story with a strong ending. It just needs a final edit to fix its many minor errors. For this reason, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It would appeal to most readers who enjoy action-oriented fantasy adventure.

Dawn Power Dream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds like a satisfying read, especially with the character development. I enjoy books with that "dry sense of humor," especially within the sci-fi and fantasy genres. I'm usually a content prude, but if story is as good as it sounds, I might overlook the crudeness. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I love books where the personalities are very distinctly written - this sounds like it was well done in this book. Good job in highlighting the strengths of the story.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like an interesting book with diverse characters.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Seems it is more of a action theme read. I think people who like war craft games and historical games involving spear and bows would find this interesting. It also sounds like a fantasy read as well. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

It sounds a little overly lewd, but I like the sense of humor. It seems like the author balances moving the plot forward with humor. Thanks for your review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Glad to know you enjoyed this book. Too bad this book is not for me.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
elwhiz
Favorite Book: Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
Currently Reading: Fire Girl
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by elwhiz »

interesting, my kind of book, cant wait to read it. thanks for the review
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

SamSim wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 08:57 This sounds like a satisfying read, especially with the character development. I enjoy books with that "dry sense of humor," especially within the sci-fi and fantasy genres. I'm usually a content prude, but if story is as good as it sounds, I might overlook the crudeness. Great review!
Thanks for your comments! The humour and ribbing between characters is a bit crude, but quite well done most of the time. And the characters are very clearly drawn, which impressed me.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

KristyKhem wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 10:14 I love books where the personalities are very distinctly written - this sounds like it was well done in this book. Good job in highlighting the strengths of the story.
Yeah, I must admit it took me a little while to get into this book, but once I got to know the characters it all came together nicely.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 03:39 Great review, it sounds like an interesting book with diverse characters.
Definitely some distinct and strong personalities in this book, depicted well by the author.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 12:21 Seems it is more of a action theme read. I think people who like war craft games and historical games involving spear and bows would find this interesting. It also sounds like a fantasy read as well. Thank you for your review!
I think you’re right - while this book qualifies as fantasy, it is quite action and violence-oriented. The character development is good, though, which balances it out well.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

gkgurley wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 13:33 It sounds a little overly lewd, but I like the sense of humor. It seems like the author balances moving the plot forward with humor. Thanks for your review!
It was certainly more lewd than others I have read in this genre, but the quirkiness and humour added to its entertainment value, I found.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 02:08 Glad to know you enjoyed this book. Too bad this book is not for me.
Yes, my own sense of humour is a little “risqué”, so this book kind of suited me that way! Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

elwhiz wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 03:51 interesting, my kind of book, cant wait to read it. thanks for the review
Yeah, an entertaining journey for sure. Hope you enjoy it!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”