Transitions Between Time Periods

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Transitions Between Time Periods

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

The time jumps remind me of the advertisements that interrupt our TV viewing. We are already used to these. The regression aspect makes us acclimatized to the pervading ambiance of the story to expect anything from the usual to the dark.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

SweetMelissaV2131 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 11:53 I enjoyed the time jumps. I would have liked to have seen a little more details from the past stories but as others have commented, that probably would have caused more confusion for the readers.
I agree. More details from the subplots from the past might have made the story even busier. I thought there was a decent amount of detail without it being too hard to keep track.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

dgallois wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 21:14
bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:12 There are frequent time jumps between time periods and settings in the story. Did you find the transitions hard to follow, considering the three distinctly different eras? I thought the author did a good job of using Angela's visions as a way to do the switches. Still, the plot became a little cluttered due to the detailed stories in each time period.
I agree with you. The story does get a bit cluttered but the way the author used the visions was smart.
Yes, the visions made the transitions flow very smoothly. Without them, I think it would have felt a little awkward, jumping between three different time periods and three distinctly different storylines.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 19:31 I had no problem going back and forth through time. I think it's the present day that was not given enough focus, specifically the threat posed by Scordato. The book spent too much time with Alex and Angela pleasuring each other.
I also felt that Scordato's role was not focused on throughout the book. He almost disappears during a large part of the story.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 19:31 I had no problem going back and forth through time. I think it's the present day that was not given enough focus, specifically the threat posed by Scordato. The book spent too much time with Alex and Angela pleasuring each other.
Scordato was so insignificant I think this is the first mention of him I've seen in this whole forum. He wasn't given much page space. His extended disappearance made me forget all about him. It's not that bad for me though, I didn't particularly care for him and his cousin. They were quite vulgar in their conversations about what they would do with Angela. It seems like they only existed for some drama in the beginning and end of the book.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

I liked the book overall, but, yes, it did seem like she was either unconscious or totally horny for much of it. hard to imagine her sweating over some art-history textbook.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:12 There are frequent time jumps between time periods and settings in the story. Did you find the transitions hard to follow, considering the three distinctly different eras? I thought the author did a good job of using Angela's visions as a way to do the switches. Still, the plot became a little cluttered due to the detailed stories in each time period.
I agree with this, but it seemed to work too. Hopefully, if there are more books written about Alex and Angela, that things get smoothed out in their relationship.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:22 You would probably laugh, but I didn't find the stories of the three time periods elaborated enough. I wish they had been more detailed. I would have loved to have a clearer picture of the Renaissance period or the devastating conditions in WWII Florence. Since the story revolves around art and art history, I expected a better documentation of the topic. You were right about the transitions, though. They were easy to follow although laughable from time to time, considering that Angela seemed to be more unconscious than otherwise most of the time.
Dael Reader wrote: I agree with you on this one. Did you notice that one of the WWII flashbacks was basically a sex scene that could have taken place in a back room in any era?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoyed the way Angela's visions took her back to a different world. I really liked that it was for short time periods, unlike some stories where it can be for months or years.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 14:09 I like the plot which switches between time. When we come to this book, transitioning between time is the beauty of this book.
As long as the transisitions are done elegantly, I have no qualms about how many time periods or stories are in one book. Well, unless it's on overload.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Morganncall
Favorite Book: Exemplary Tales of Love and Tales of Disillusion
Currently Reading: Daughter of Fortune
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganncall.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Morganncall »

I think the frequent jumps in time helped illustrate the connections between the stories. There were a few that were harder to follow than others, but overall it was fun because I got to feel like a time traveler.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

Although it's quite hard to write a book with different time periods, I found the author to be very good at it. In the beginning, I thought it was odd the switching between dreams, trances, fainting spells, and visions, but it didn't negatively affect the read very much.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I think the transitions were effective. I wish the author had found a way to do it besides dream sequences. That felt lazy to me, but it got the story across.

I also wish the voices of the different characters were more distinct. I realize the three women were meant to be reincarnations of each other, but it would have made the transitions clearer if they didn't all sound the same.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

It is true that the time jumps were difficult to catch on but it doesn't disrupt the flow of the book.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

It was easier to follow the transitions when the shifts were marked with headings versus all of a sudden Angela is asleep or unconscious and the reader is thrown back in time. Even though it's an obvious and easy way to transition, I like seeing "August 4, 1944 Florence, Italy." Then I know where and when I am in the story.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”