Mix of Genres

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: Mix of Genres

Post by CinWin »

I liked the fact that all of the genres were included. I would have liked to have more of the paranormal. This is strictly a personal bias because that is my my favorite genre. Romance is my least favorite so I thought there was too much of that. I think that the answer to the question would be dependent on the readers personal preference of the genres they enjoy.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

I do agree that it is amix of a lot of genres. Although I would classify it as romantic suspence since it is predominated by romance with the hunt for the paintings as the background.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

A mixture is always nice as I enjoy different genres. I don't care too much for the fantasy piece but most other aspects are interesting and play together well.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Libs_Books wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 12:53
bookowlie wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 15:19
KristyKhem wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 11:55 Mixing genres is a strategy to make a book more appealing to a wider range of readers. In most cases, people will pick a book based on cover design and blurb. If the blurb (or plot summary at the back) contains at least one genre that they like, in most cases, they will end up buying it. Personally, I always like a bit of romance in books :D
I agree that many authors try to include a mix of themes or genres to attract more readers. That's why I think so many mysteries include a man and woman who are thrown together to solve the mystery - for example, a detective and a reporter, a reporter and a missing person's family member, etc. Of course, there is always a romance that winds up blooming along the way.
I'm happy with a mix of genres, and agree that a touch of romance can brighten up a book. However, I'm not keen on paranormal stuff. I guess I'm picky - I don't mind people slipping through time in a sci-fi sort of way, but I found paranormal stuff incredible, as a general rule. My willing suspension of disbelief collapses.
I think a more lot people prefer sci-fi (vs. paranormal) because it has a somewhat realistic feel. What I did like about the mix of genres is there is something for everyone's tastes. The only problem for me is when the paranormal elements started to overtake the plot.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The mix here was good because all the themes addressed are compatible. The only problem would be if the themes were from different planets, not compatible to each other. The mix is good.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A bit of everything is a good mix but it all depends on the talent that the author holds in balancing them. As mentioned the romance was over the board strayed away from the main purpose of this read which is bad. This could honestly weaken a story.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

The Romance was a bit overdone, it would have worked better as a secondary genre.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

History and romance are the major genres of the book. I also liked the paranormal aspect of the story as it adds flesh to the other genres. The author really did an awesome job by bringing all the genres together to make such a wonderful read.
Morganncall
Favorite Book: Exemplary Tales of Love and Tales of Disillusion
Currently Reading: Daughter of Fortune
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganncall.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Morganncall »

I really enjoyed the mix of genres because it was really engaging. I don't usually enjoy romance books this much, but because of the other themes and genres, I felt compelled to keep reading. I also think the mix of genres goes to show that romance can exist everwhere, even in war, a boring office or early-modern Italy.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I liked the blend of genres, but because it seemed to be classified primarily as a romantic suspense novel, I would've appreciated more suspense. The mystery wasn't quite complex enough to keep up with the romance, which was a little disappointing.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I really love when books do this. I don't think it takes away from it at all, provided I am a fan of most of the themes. It makes for a much more entertaining read and can appeal to a broader group of people.
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

I think its the mix of genres that made the book unique. I agree with Kristy Khem. Mixing genres attracts more readers and I think the author accomplished this goal
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

This book's success seems to be mostly as a result of the pot-pourri of the combined genres.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The romance theme is what definitely ends up highlighting more in the book. Although the central objective of the protagonists is to obtain Da Vinci's lost painting (associated with the elements of thriller and mystery), the weight of the paranormal elements and the love stories in three different periods end up giving greater importance to the romance aspect than that of the thriller.

As I posted in another topic, I found the supernatural aspect of the book somewhat exaggerated in its execution, and I think it could have been better balanced overall. It is one thing for a character to have dreams from the point of view of a hypothetical past life, and it is quite another to observe his ancestors from a distance and even interact with them.
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

I felt that the genre blending gave the book more of a unique flavor. I very rarely pick up a book that appears to be a straightforward romance, or whatever the case may be. I really like it when stories combine different elements, or they deconstruct the genre they happen to be in. I rather liked the fusion of romance and history with this one.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”