Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

No, I don't see anything unethical about the title. I think it works well for the storyline. If it had been a painting by Monet, then Monet's name would be perfect in place of da Vinci. Granted, Monet wouldn't work as he didn't create the technological things that da Vinci managed (like the entrance to the cave).
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

I don't see any issue with using his name. Plus I don't see any reason why it would be unethical at all
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

The plot of the story is that the characters are all looking for the missing painting by da Vinci so it is resonable to use the name on the book cover. However, it is in rather large print so I think that the author is probably trying to piggy-back off of the fame of Da Vinci himself and the famous book The Da Vinci Code.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Keri wood
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keri-wood.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keri wood »

I do agree in a way it wasn't really necessary to bring it up in this book but to each there own.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

The use of da Vinci's name is most likely a marketing strategy. I do not think this is unethical though. It would most likely be considered unethical only if there were no relation to art history in the novel.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I agree with the replys above that the fact that there are connections in the book regarding da vincis work ot makes sense his name would be used. The fact that it is not the main focal point as suggested in the ritle can seem misleading, however any gpod author would be skilled in catching the readers attention. A feat accomplished in this example for sure.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The title was what drew me to this book. I was hoping to read more about da Vinci - and was disappointed. Was it unethical? I think it was a clever marketing idea - it got me to pick up the book and choose it over many other options. It does make me hesitate to choose any other books by this author!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Although I do believe that Da Vinci's name was more used as an attention and or something more to attract people to this book. I also, do believe that it is ethical because the Floretti was da Vinci's best friend and one of his model according to this book. Along with the fact that in this book The Girl Who Knew da Vinci though there are a lot of other things happening or going on still, the whole plot is somewhat based on if in fact there was another piece of art that da Vinci created that is known of yet unable to be located as well as, tracking down this piece. So personally would say that even though, I believe the title may be more of an attention-grabbing concept or strategy, the fact is would there have still been a story if the picture that da Vinci drew had been present and accounted for? Therefore, I believe that he is a big factor in or to this story as well.
Chelsea N. Hackett
kjarch1228
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjarch1228.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by kjarch1228 »

Most people do judge a book by its cover or at the very least its title. The author is taking advantage of that fact and using da Vinci's name to draw readers in who find him to be an intriguing individual. It certainly worked on me. So I'd say it's a good strategy and definitely not unethical.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I actually thought basing from the cover that it was Dan Brown's book. It was a good marketing strategy to somehow make it like it or put Da Vinco's name. It is a good thing though as it is a catchy one. I don't think it's unethical at all as there are a lot of books as well that uses different famous names.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 20:11 I am sure the author wanted readers to remember Dan Brown's controversial and highly successful book. I don't know if there would be problems with copyright infringement or other laws on publishing. But I guess Belle Ami got what she wanted. Here we are comparing her book to Brown's.
:) Yeah, we're doing just that. Besides, Dan Brown or Belle Ami are not the only ones who used da Vinci and his name to attract people's attention.

On Goodreads, there are 25 novels featuring Leonardo da Vinci. For example, Stephenie Storey’s Oil and Marble focuses on the rivalry between Leonardo and Michelangelo, Robin Maxwell’s Signora da Vinci reconstitutes the tumultuous life of his mother or Mary Hoffman’s Smile tells the story behind the Mona Lisa portrait. There are book series entitled Leonardo da Vinci Mystery or Da Vinci's Disciples.

I guess my initial thought when I asked the question was whether the title or cover really justify what happens thoughout the book. I admire da Vinci very much. I'd be very careful when it comes to using his name or writing about da Vinci. I'd be researching thoroughly before writing a book about him especially if I am not an art historian or an expert in da Vinci.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Based on the book, the girl (Fioretta and all her future selves) knew da Vinci. She was best friends with him. Historically, there are no documents (I mean my casual search didn't find any) to prove the close friendship, but there are also none to disprove it. The only info I got about Fioretta was that she was allegedly a courtesan and a cousin of Giuliano. There are also speculations that Fioretta might be the Mona Lisa, she with the famous smile.

I cannot comment on the cover, though. I haven't done any detailed study of it. Yet.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Potential marketing strategy? Yes definitely. Ethical or unethical? I don't really see this as either. I wouldn't call it unethical, just because they are trying to market the book to be something similar. I can see though how people may think that, but I really don't think it is an issue.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

Absolutely. Not only is he a episodic character like you said, but also his lost painting is the main focus of the novel.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

The main story line revolves around a hard-to-get, 'strictly in the know' painting claimed to have been drawn by Da Vinci; so yes it's what holds the fabric of the story together. It may be for marketing since Leonardo Da Vinci is a popular art and historical figure, but marketing or no, the name still does have a great relevance to the story.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”