Official Review: Turning Your Scars into Stars: A Journe...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Official Review: Turning Your Scars into Stars: A Journe...

Post by EricaWilson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Turning Your Scars into Stars: A Journey from Mourning to Joy" by Sue Hamby, PhD.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Turning Your Scars into Stars, by Sue Hamby, details one woman’s journey from mourning to joy after discovering her only son has been murdered. His sudden death floods her with a sea of grief, and she has no idea how to navigate it. It isn’t until she looks towards our Heavenly Father that she begins to see the light at the end of the dark tunnel. Overcoming the death of a loved one is something that no one can do alone. God can bring joy to sorrow, happiness to depression, and hope to a broken soul. Through him, we have the power to turn our scars into stars.

Sue Hamby’s novel showed me that trials and tribulations occur to teach us perseverance, gratitude, and humility. They mold our character so that we are better equipped to serve God. I greatly enjoyed the metaphors Hamby uses to describe God’s power. For example, she compares our brokenness to a broken pottery vase. If there is a lighted candle inside the vase, it can only be seen after the vase is broken. She also states that bitterness grows like a weed and describes how God refines our faith like gold and silver. This imagery enhances the idea of having Godly character and shows how He enables us to live our lives through Him.

The prayers and scriptures located at the end of each chapter are a nice addition to the novel. The scriptures provide a way for readers to connect the concepts discussed in Hamby’s novel to actual bible verses. The end of each chapter also includes questions for personal growth. I feel that these are unnecessary because they ask the reader to think about what they have learned and how they can apply it to their own life. The reader should already think about this without being reminded by the same questions at the conclusion of every chapter.

I discovered many mistakes among the pages of this book. Oftentimes, there was a word missing in a sentence or the wrong tense was used, slowing down the pace of the novel. I also found the text to be quite repetitive. Some of the stories were told multiple times in order to make similar points. Near the end of the book, I felt as if part of one chapter was quoting a previous chapter word for word. This went on for several pages.

Overall, I would give Turning Your Scars into Stars 2 out of 4 stars. It is suited for anyone looking to strengthen their faith in God through their trials and tribulations.

Turning Your Scars into Stars: A Journey from Mourning to Joy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EricaWilson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love books with these kinds of messages, but the editing issues really hurt the impact. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I was fascinated by the summary and the title of the book. However, I think it would be hard to read a book filled with errors. Thanks for the honest review, I think I'll pass this one.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I hope the author invests in a good editing team soon because I think this book has great potential. I must also say, the cover is great. Your review was a delight to read. Thank you :)
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It all depends on a person's belief, if one is a deep believer of God then they should do so after all it is the only person who's ears are open to listen to our sorrows. I hope such stories will breach the gap between humans and god. Too bad about the errors otherwise it is a fine read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Perhaps it was meant to be a study book, to be used in group discussion? Too bad about the editing issues. I'm going to pass on this, but thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Sounds like a good Christian story with a relatable message. Thanks for reviewing!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I love books with this kind of message. The editing issue is the bummer to this book. Hopefully the author will send this book to through the editing process.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

After this book is fully edited properly, I would be happy to read it. There are many people who are close to me who could benefit from a book of this nature. Thank you for your honest review.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

After this book is fully edited properly, I would be happy to read it. There are many people who are close to me who could benefit from a book of this nature. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”