Official Review: American Fascist by Malcom James

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Sally the Bold by Albert Alarcon Jr

Re: Official Review: American Fascist by Malcom James

Post by bookowlie » 03 Jun 2018, 10:54

CatInTheHat wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 21:33
I love political fiction but don't think I need to read a "stranger than fiction" novel since we're living that right now.
So true! While I was reading, I often thought this would be too strange to be true except that much of the story is based on true events.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Sally the Bold by Albert Alarcon Jr

Post by bookowlie » 03 Jun 2018, 10:58

Thanks everyone! Gali, I think the author could have done a better job if the characters hadn't been closely sketched to their real-life counterparts. At the very least, the Franks character could have been like Trump, but the staff members could have been more original. Practically the only original character is Eli, the tech geek (as far as I know!).
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

joshfee77
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 156
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: Time of Death by Frank A. Perdue

Post by joshfee77 » 04 Jun 2018, 00:44

An interesting interweaving of real life and fiction. Pretty sad that as soon as I read the title American Fascist, I knew it would be about Trump before even reading your review!

Julie Green
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Treason by Fiorentino Ferri

Post by Julie Green » 12 Jun 2018, 01:53

I have not read American Fascist but I recently read To Kill The President by Sam Bourne. I had a similar reaction in the sense that it was clearly a paper-thin disguise of the Trump White House. Too easy and it doesn't really work.

Ana-Maria-Diana
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: Lover Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana » 08 Jul 2018, 12:25

This book remind me of the Designated Survivor tv series. I think the book is interesting, a new perspective of the administration.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”