Review by BookishCoffeeBlog -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by BookishCoffeeBlog -- Toni the Superhero

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base follows a young hero who loves to do typical tasks. He loves to read, save animals, and draw. Toni also likes to spend time with his friends and family while helping out with chores around the house. Superheroes are incredibly popular in today's society and this story allows young children to imagine how they can become a superhero in their own life.

The illustrations, done by Debbie Hefke, are one of the most prominent features in this book. They are detailed, organized, and dynamic. They relate well to what Toni is doing in the story and they pop off the page with their bold colors. These images would appeal to the targeted audience, which is 0-4 years old. These images also show important aspects of a young child's life, such as spending time with family and eating healthy foods. The illustrations are especially important for this age group because, before they are able to read, young children spend more time looking at the images than the words. As they begin learning new actions words, they can start connecting the images to the words and this is an excellent method of teaching young minds.

This story features a young role model. He is seen completing small actions that are a big help for those around him. Children can learn valuable lessons from Toni, with his love of animals and his help around the house. The things Toni loves to do are also relatable for young children, which tells them that they can be superheroes too. This is an important message for children at this age, who are still building their self-confidence and sense of self.

The author of this story is a mother of three and successfully used the method featured in this book to teach her children how to read. The sentences are constructed in an easy manner and include all the parts of a simple sentence. The child will absorb the sentences while they are enjoying the story and the illustrations. The story will appeal to young readers and this interest will help with their learning curve.

I rate Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 stars. This book is a perfect way to engage young children when they are just learning to read and I recommend it to parents who are going through this process. I see no reason to give this story less than 4 stars because it is engaging and accurately represents the reading level of children between the ages of 0 and 4. This book would not be recommended for children at a higher reading level, as it would not challenge them. I can definitely imagine sitting with my young family members and reading this with them while looking at the exciting images. Toni will definitely become a beloved character for young children and I can't wait to see what the author does with this character in future books, including Toni loves vegetables! and Toni Saves the Day!

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like BookishCoffeeBlog's review? Post a comment saying so!
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I agree with you on the dynamic illustrations in the book.
I do think the idea of introducing normalcy to superhero storylines is interesting and the authors future books should be just.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

palilogy wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 21:26 I agree with you on the dynamic illustrations in the book.
I do think the idea of introducing normalcy to superhero storylines is interesting and the authors future books should be just.
The illustrations really caught my eye! It definitely is a new and interesting idea that authors can explore in regards to superheroes. I am glad that R.D. Base introduced it to me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”