Official Review: The Alaskan Incident by Joseph Walls

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Alaskan Incident by Joseph Walls

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alaskan Incident" by Joseph Walls.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why would a multi-million dollar E3-AWACS fly aimlessly with a dead crew on board? Handsome Major Brad Strong is assigned to solve the mystery of a crash which has not even happened yet. There are two main reasons for the urgency of Brad’s mission. The first is that the aircraft was testing top secret army gear. The second has to do with the fact that the Secretary of Defense was not only on board, but he also happened to be the President’s brother. The premise is set for a round-the-clock race to avoid the plane reaching Russian soil and to discover who or what has killed all the passengers.

The Alaskan Incident is an exhilarating thriller revolving around the inner circle of high politics and international conspiracies. The crash of the American aircraft in Alaska is just the tip of the iceberg in a deadly game for global dominance. Smaller or bigger players have their distinct roles in this chilling peek into a world of corruption and insatiable thirst for power.

Merciless Russian General Boris Grecken sends his Cambridge trained agent Yovani to infiltrate the crash investigation team. The NSA agents sent to retrieve the President’s brother’s body seem to have an agenda of their own. President Thompson himself has a poisonous microchip removed from the back of his neck by his long-life friend and hometown doctor. On top of everything, major global leaders are being targeted by a secret organization founded by the richest and most powerful men in the world.

Joseph Walls weaves the threads of an intricate plot involving a wide range of characters. At times, you may get confused in so many sub-plots, the quick change of setting and numerous characters. The third-person narrator effortlessly moves from the Alaskan on-site investigation headquarters to the President’s conference room in Washington, a prison cell or clandestine meeting places of fellow conspirators. Some interesting insertions could have been further exploited to add more weight to the book. For example, I have genuinely enjoyed John Thompson’s reflections on what makes a great leader and the reasons behind Hitler’s rise to power and subsequent demise.

My favorite character is Bruce Green, who is charged with terrorism and espionage and becomes the ideal scapegoat in the crash investigation. He is among the very few characters the author makes more credible. With so many things going on, the characters are only briefly outlined and lack the kind of depth that would have made them relatable. Apart from that, I could not avoid the feeling I was trespassing into a men’s world where women had no business to play. Even Deborah’s help in solving the conspiracy is belated and insufficiently supported by background information. I also found a large number of punctuation and grammar mistakes distracting me from fully enjoying the suspenseful action. For all these reasons, I am rating The Alaskan Incident 2 out of 4 stars. With a solid round of proofreading and editing, I am sure fans of spy novels and political thrillers will find the book an engaging read with many twists and turns and an unexpected ending.

The Alaskan Incident
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cristinaro's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry that the characters lacked depth as well as the number of grammatical errors. It does sound like an interesting premise. I'm curious about the crash and what caused it myself. I think I'll wait for more editing before I read it, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I don't like books where it feels like its a 'man's world.' Even if it is a male dominated story, it should have at least one well developed female character. Or at least a character's memories of a woman - sister, daughter, mother etc. Thanks for reviewing honestly, but I will pass on this one.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Why-oh-why do people think they don't need to pay a good editor to read their work? I mean, they paid to market on this website!

Well written summary/review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Argh! I great premise thwarted by a cluttered plot, lack of editing, and lack of women. This could have been so good - your recap made me want to check it out, but your critique saved me the trouble. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too bad about the characters, a high profile read such as this needs to have good character background even though it is not a character build read. Characters play a key role. "Major Brad Strong is assigned to solve the mystery of a crash which has not even happened yet" what does this mean?
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 07:29 I'm sorry that the characters lacked depth as well as the number of grammatical errors. It does sound like an interesting premise. I'm curious about the crash and what caused it myself. I think I'll wait for more editing before I read it, though. Thanks.
I can tell you I have noticed something rather strange. In the first half of the book the mistakes are much more frequent than in the second half of the book. Even the writing style gets better. I don't know why this happens. I thought maybe the writer started to find his voice or get more relaxed or different persons may have checked the first and second parts of the book. Thanks for reading.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

KristyKhem wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 10:00 I don't like books where it feels like its a 'man's world.' Even if it is a male dominated story, it should have at least one well developed female character. Or at least a character's memories of a woman - sister, daughter, mother etc. Thanks for reviewing honestly, but I will pass on this one.
There is Karen, Bruce Green's wife. Her husband is charged with treason and sent to prison although he had nothing to do with the airplane crash. Unfortunately, her role is episodic and she is just the concerned wife of somebody who becomes the government's scapegoat. Then, there is Deborah who helps Brad uncover those responsible for the entire conspiracy. However, Brad meets her only in chapter 14, considering that the novel has 23 chapters. Once again, she is not fully-fledged to actually make a difference. Paradoxically, she will be the one to find the proof against the leader of the conspiracy. You reminded me of something else. Brad keeps remembering his dead wife. I don't want to reveal much, but I can tell you he feels responsible for her death. After what I wrote here, you may tell me there are female characters in the story. I guess you can try reading for yourself to see if my sensation of a "man's world" holds valid or not. :)
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

SamSim wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 13:30 Argh! I great premise thwarted by a cluttered plot, lack of editing, and lack of women. This could have been so good - your recap made me want to check it out, but your critique saved me the trouble. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks. I may tend to be overcritical sometimes. :) I can tell you one thing that I found surprising about this book. The ending. I've read so many mystery books that more than 90% of the cases I gues who did what and who's responsible. With this novel, the ending was quite unexpected and pretty courageous from the author.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 00:32 Too bad about the characters, a high profile read such as this needs to have good character background even though it is not a character build read. Characters play a key role. "Major Brad Strong is assigned to solve the mystery of a crash which has not even happened yet" what does this mean?
It means Brad is called in the middle of the night to be assigned with a crash investigation. Then, he is told the plane hasn't crashed yet, but everybody on board is assumed dead and as soon as the plane loses all fuel it's going to crash anyway. So, the crash is inevitable, but since there are military secrets involved and the President's brother on board, the plane needs to be made to crash on American soil rather than be allowed to reach Russian soil.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

CommMayo wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 12:34 Why-oh-why do people think they don't need to pay a good editor to read their work? I mean, they paid to market on this website!

Well written summary/review!
The thing is some mistakes are so childish that I can't imagine why the author himself couldn't just reread the manuscript or if he couldn't, why didn't he ask anybody else to do it? If not an editor, a family member or a friend. Besides, a good editor could help you with some other things too. Cut that, add that, etc. I guess I am too tough, but I am only saying this to help the author as well as any potential readers.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This looks interesting! However, it seems like a pity that the author did not think out certain plot points well enough. I will have to give this a pass tho. Thanks for the lovely review!
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 10:51 This looks interesting! However, it seems like a pity that the author did not think out certain plot points well enough. I will have to give this a pass tho. Thanks for the lovely review!
Thanks. The plot is indeed interesting and there are multiple threads skillfully weaved together. The power struggle and the political issues are also worth reading about.
sojimoh1
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by sojimoh1 »

:D Alaskan Incident: though have got no interest in politics but I love to read or listen to any discussion on political matters. Well then I wish the mystery behind the crash could be discovered by Major Brad Strong. :techie-reference:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

It sounds awesome! Except for the parts about character depth, confusing sub-plots, and poor editing lol
Thanks for a wonderful review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”