Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I think it is inspired from The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown (who did an amazing job with his book). The art references and history remarks are not very easy to digest by an unacostomed reader, and I think that for those who have already read the DaVinci Code, the Girl who Knew DaVinci may not be as interesting as the previous one.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

The cover design and title made me think of The Da Vinci Code right away.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I agree with Bookowlie! The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci deals with a topic and painting totally fictional whereas The DaVinci code has put in a lot of research and study into the real works of Leonardo da Vinci! Also, this book is a romantic thriller- and while it is an enjoyable read, it is not at all like the more complex and thought provoking DaVinci Code.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I definitely agree there are some similarities and agree that both books contain art history themes and people searching for something that may or may not exist. However, The Da Vinci Code was much better in my opinion, because the plot was historically accurate and Damn Brown consulted with religious experts and professors. I also felt like The Da Vinci Code has more of a sinister plot, while this book is more romanticized.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:28 I agree there are a few similaries such as the search for an item, the obvious art history theme, and different settings. However, I think the books are not comparable otherwise. The Girl Who Knew da Vinci has a more simplistic plot with few clues and a beach read-style romance element. The Da Vinci Code contains historical subject matter that has been well researched and a more complex plot with codes and a type of treasure hunt. Also, it's a more serious book and Dan Brown's writing is in a completely different league. Just my opinion.
:text-yeahthat: You pretty much summed up what I was thinking. The Da Vinci Code is far more complex. I still found The Girl Who Knew da Vinci to be an enjoyable read.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I try not to compare books or anything in life/ although that is rather difficult to avoid at times. The Da Vinci Code was more suspenseful in complexity and action in my opinion.
Keri wood
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keri-wood.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keri wood »

I think this book is much simpler than the da Vinci code but I can see some similarities between them.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I did not see this connection. The search for art was common to both novels. After that, the differences are many. Brown writes with more depth and history. Belle Ami dedicates a lot more time and verbiage to the romance aspect. The reincarnation theme is also unique to Ami. I liked both of these novels, but wouldn't put them in the same category.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I can see were you are coming from with the similar aspects of this book versus The da Vinci code. But I do believe that there are a lot of difference between the two to make this one unique and of its own.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

No. In the Da Vinci Code, it is more on gangsterism, or sort of MAFIA organization and sleuthing. This other novel is something with the dark elements.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think the two books are vastly different. I absolutely loved The Da Vinci Code because of the intricacy of the clues and how well the suspense of it all was written. It was very clever and Brown gives you bits of information to the point of exasperation because you want the answers but at the same time it's enough to make you feel like you are getting there. Ami does not have that talent, at least it is not displayed in this book. Although I enjoyed it, I wouldn't say there was a lot of intrigue or suspense about what happened to the painting and where they would find it. It seemed pretty clear that the visions would lead Angela right to it. Without the visions, Alex and Angela would have spent the rest of their lives stubbling around in the dark.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I absolutely loved the Da vinci code by Dan Brown. Sadly, I am yet to read this book however if it is even a bit similar to The Da vici code, count me in. I will find it and I will read it.
MA
Rhianne
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhianne.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Rhianne »

The title did but this book is quite different. It has more romance and supernatural elements.
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

Personally I do not think this compares to the Da Vinci Code at all. Yes, with regards to the theme (the hunt for paintings), it is similar. However, the predominance of romance and the style of writing vastly differs from Dan Brown's.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I haven't read it yet, but based on the summary and the way people have talked in other threads, I was worried it would be too close to Da Vinci Code. Glad to see that's not the case!

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”