Do you have a favorite YA author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Do you have a favorite YA author?

Post by kandscreeley »

There are too many good young adult authors to narrow it down to just one. Besides that, there are just as many genres of young adult novels as there are adult novels. It's hard to compare from one genre to the next.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JenA
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jena.html

Post by JenA »

I absolutely love Rick Riordan. I have been hooked ever since I read "The Lightning Thief," and have since read every subsequent book.

I also enjoy books by Cassandra Clare. The Mortal Instruments series was phenomenal. The Clockwork series is in my reading queue for 2017.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

For me, Piers Anthony was also just the right amount of silly. His Xanth books are not for those that hate puns but they were always clever and entertaining. I think his word play is so inspired
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

My favorite YA author is Ellen Hopkins. She has very raw stories and I love her method of writing. She doesn't care about the status quo and writes what she has experienced and felt. Her first two book Crank and Glass were essentially about her daughter and her struggles with drugs and the repercussions of it.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I love Brandon Mull. He is my absolute favorite author of all time.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I have a good few favourites like Cassie Clare, Sarah J Maas (very well known) but I always look for hidden gems by less known authors or Indie authors who self publish. Because I have found a good few that way.

Graeme Ing who writes Oceans of Dust for slightly younger than YA but still enjoyable by all.

Hanna Peach's Dark Angel series is so nice! and different with romance but so much action and great characters.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Post by jhmende »

I was a huge fan of Rick Riordan in middle school. I haven't really kept up with his work, but I enjoyed his Percy Jackson novels immensely back then.
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.
Luthien12
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Luthien12 »

I've read Divergent series by Veronica Roth. I love her writings she so talented I love her new book "Carve the mark" I am still in process reading it. so it will take time before before can comprehend the book itself. I've read a lot of YA authors despite of there works and essays. Veronica Roth works on her composition were outrageous by developing five faction on her book. I love how she develop her protagonist Tris Prior evolve.
JessicaB
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicab.html

Post by JessicaB »

John Green and Suzanne Collins!
AmeliaLovesBooks
Currently Reading: Cat's Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelialovesbooks.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by AmeliaLovesBooks »

I love Markus Zusak's books and always include him in my top favorite authors. He has a way about keeping your attention fixed, and for me, that's such a talent that not ever author has. He's only written 6 books and I have loved every single one, even before they were popular. Is that still hipster? :P
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
chemgeek
Currently Reading: The Alchemyst (The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel #1)
Bookshelf Size: 68

Post by chemgeek »

Absolutely adore Robert Muchamore, his edgy writing always gives me a thrill. But I also adore Cathy Hopkins and Cathy Cassidy! Such different authors to Robert but their stories are always fun, lively and upbeat! The chocolate Box girls series captivated me from the get go alongside CHERUB! :D
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

Cassandra Clare, Suzanne Collins, Sarah J Maas, and Rick Riordan are my favorites. Anything they write, I immediately have to read. I enjoy the immense action with an underlying love story. These authors nail those two requirements perfectly.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

J.K. Rowling is my absolute favorite YA writer. I also like some books by Cornelia Funke, primarily her Inkheart series.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

Currently, my favorite YA author would have to be Laini Taylor, who wrote Strange the Dreamer and is soon to release Muse of Nightmares. Her writing style is so beautiful and I was completely captivated by her world-building and characterization. I have not read her other series, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but I have the first one and I am looking forward to giving it a try. I will be waiting [not-so]patiently for Muse of Nightmares. I am so terribly excited about what the author will do with the conclusion of this beautiful story.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

mewsmash wrote: 22 Jan 2017, 07:51 I'll have to go with the popular vote and pick Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games is my favorite YA series. I really haven't liked any other science fiction YA books so I have to give her the honor.
I adore Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games is the series that introduced me to the world of reading and the stories will always have a special place in my heart. I reread this series once a year. I am a big fan! :D

Return to “Discuss Authors”