Official Review: The Blood of Winter by John Ozmore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: The Blood of Winter by John Ozmore

Post by nikkyteewhy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blood of Winter" by John Ozmore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blood of Winter (Demons of Lost Souls Book 1) is a sci-fi/fantasy novel. It is about a ruthless king, King Drohn of Drakoor who sought to conquer every kingdom. He enslaved his captives and performs hideous acts on them. Winter was born on an extremely harsh winter and was named after the weather. He was delivered from his deceased mother who died during labor. Winter had an odd relationship with death right from the time he was born. He could hear Death’s voice. Death always occupied his mind with images of visions of ways he could die. Death also notifies him of his impending death. He learned to kill at a very young age. In order to please his adoptive father, Malek, he trained as a student of war. He wanted to become a member of Drakoor‘s elite. Drakoor’s elites are specially trained Drakoor soldiers. He was uncomfortable with the atrocities the elites committed during the war. When there seemed to be no end to Drohn’s blood-lust, Winter had to switch sides and defend those he loves.

He was branded a traitor and had to escape to save his life. He was hunted by Drohn and his army. Winter joined forces with the leaders of other kingdoms, to stand against the bloodthirsty tyrant, King Drohn. King Drohn’s army seemed to grow stronger in all these chaoses. They showed no signs of weaknesses. Defeated and forced to retreat, Winter and his allies must seek shelter and food in order to live. Unthinkable acts are performed to survive. Many suffer gruesome deaths and some lose their minds. Death seems to follow Winter wherever he went. Winter must not give up hope in this battle.

The story is a narration told from the third-person point of view. John Ozmore, the author, does an excellent job in vividly describing the fantasy world existing in this book. The plot is extraordinarily fascinating, and the book is thought-provoking. Female characters have strong attributes, even the villainous ones. The female characters are bold and head-strong even when things do not go their way. The main protagonist, Winter, is kind-hearted, courageous, and he is loyal to his loved ones.

However, profane words were used in this book most especially for the female characters which I found offensive. I felt the roles the gods played in the book is not clear enough.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I detected no grammatically incorrect sentences or spelling errors in this book. It seemed to be professionally edited. The book is efficiently organized, and the writing style is direct and straightforward. I recommend this book to those who like sci-fi/fantasy books. I do not recommend it to young readers because this book contains much violence and torture scenes. It equally has sexual content and many profane words. I do not recommend this book to those who are uncomfortable with brutality and cannibalism.

The Blood of Winter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nikkyteewhy's review? Post a comment saying so!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

As a reader of horror, a well-written and brutal sci-fi/fantasy has definite appeal for me. This one sounds very good. Thanks for your review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

The story of Winter's birth and abilities really intrigues me, but the possible "unthinkable acts" to survive and the profanity might keep me away from this one. Sounds well-written, though. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
nikkyteewhy

Post by nikkyteewhy »

joshfee77 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 06:26 As a reader of horror, a well-written and brutal sci-fi/fantasy has definite appeal for me. This one sounds very good. Thanks for your review.
This one is for you then. I'm sure you will have fun reading it.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Sounds creepy and interesting.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I wonder what is the unthinkable act performed to survive? Sounds like a dark read I am not sure how others would perceive about this book but I don't mind giving it a try. Thank you for a clear detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
nikkyteewhy

Post by nikkyteewhy »

teacherjh wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 17:39 Sounds creepy and interesting.
you are right on both counts. Though more interesting than creepy.
iam-omoniyola-0001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iam-omoniyola-0001 »

sounds interesting and would be an amazing story
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blood of Winter (Demons of Lost Souls Book 1) is a sci-fi/fantasy novel. It is about a ruthless king, King Drohn of Drakoor who sought to conquer every kingdom. He enslaved his captives and performs hideous acts on them. Winter was born on an extremely harsh winter and was named after the weather. He was delivered from his deceased mother who died during labor. Winter had an odd relationship with death right from the time he was born. He could hear Death’s voice. Death always occupied his mind with images of visions of ways he could die. Death also notifies him of his impending death. He learned to kill at a very young age. In order to please his adoptive father, Malek, he trained as a student of war. He wanted to become a member of Drakoor‘s elite. Drakoor’s elites are specially trained Drakoor soldiers. He was uncomfortable with the atrocities the elites committed during the war. When there seemed to be no end to Drohn’s blood-lust, Winter had to switch sides and defend those he loves.

He was branded a traitor and had to escape to save his life. He was hunted by Drohn and his army. Winter joined forces with the leaders of other kingdoms, to stand against the bloodthirsty tyrant, King Drohn. King Drohn’s army seemed to grow stronger in all these chaoses. They showed no signs of weaknesses. Defeated and forced to retreat, Winter and his allies must seek shelter and food in order to live. Unthinkable acts are performed to survive. Many suffer gruesome deaths and some lose their minds. Death seems to follow Winter wherever he went. Winter must not give up hope in this battle.

The story is a narration told from the third-person point of view. John Ozmore, the author, does an excellent job in vividly describing the fantasy world existing in this book. The plot is extraordinarily fascinating, and the book is thought-provoking. Female characters have strong attributes, even the villainous ones. The female characters are bold and head-strong even when things do not go their way. The main protagonist, Winter, is kind-hearted, courageous, and he is loyal to his loved ones.

However, profane words were used in this book most especially for the female characters which I found offensive. I felt the roles the gods played in the book is not clear enough.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I detected no grammatically incorrect sentences or spelling errors in this book. It seemed to be professionally edited. The book is efficiently organized, and the writing style is direct and straightforward. I recommend this book to those who like sci-fi/fantasy books. I do not recommend it to young readers because this book contains much violence and torture scenes. It equally has sexual content and many profane words. I do not recommend this book to those who are uncomfortable with brutality and cannibalism.

Sounds like it is an interesting to start to great new saga. I'm definitely adding it to the list of things to read. Thanks for the informative review!
elwhiz
Favorite Book: Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
Currently Reading: Fire Girl
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by elwhiz »

sounds. . .awesome. thanks for the review
Use2alone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-use2alone.html
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Post by Use2alone »

Life is hard. This book is kind of a terrific and horrible story to read. The theme of death, suffering, brutality, gore, etc is familiar to me. Reading this book while listening to extreme metal in the background seems great. I'm eager to read this book!

Good review!
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”