Past-Life Regression

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Re: Past-Life Regression

Post by joshfee77 »

Yeah, I have to admit the eyes moving in the painting was a little cheesy. But I guess the author has to depict this supernatural element somehow. It can be a fine line between a subtle approach that works and a more overt (and perhaps over-used) "classic" method that verges on cliche. Alex's belief in past-life regression would have been aided by his initial experience in the gallery. But, if he had never experienced the supernatural before, he should still have been skeptical.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

thaservices1 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 18:17
Kendra M Parker wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 18:12
bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:32 The concept of past-life regression is prevalent in this story. Was it handled in a realistic way or did it verge into fantasy? When the man's eyes started moving in the painting, I have to admit I started rolling my eyes. I also thought Alex was too quick to take Angela's experiences as fact.
I think it definitely treads the line of fantasy. It's done in a way that is pretty generic, in my opinion, but I'm a fantasy nut.
Generic! I can't think of a better way to describe it. What if Angela had been Gerard in her past life? Now that could have turned up the interesting factor in this book.
I would´ve loved that twist! I also agree that the way it´s handled it´s pretty generic, and even if I´m not completely closed to the possibility that some form of consciousness survives, but I don´t think it´s as transparent and fantastic as in the book.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

As it was said before, it is all up to the reader. Considering that we are all surrounded by cyber-space, vampires, zombies, witches and all other supernatural beings and ultra-modern-technologies, both in books and in movies, it is hard to distinguish whether it is reality or fantasy. And I believe that once a reader is accustomed to these "outside" of the ordinary things, it will be very easy to consider the past regressions of Angela something normal.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

According to the Bible, there is no such thing as a past life, therefore past life regression is not possible as it is traditionally understood. What is possible is for a person to have an experience or vision of another person that they received from demonic influence. If a person believes there are past lives and past life regression is possible, they will be open to believing that such a vision is true.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

KristyKhem wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 11:50 I think past life regression is a topic which is not usually explored in writing, so I would give the author props for including this unique concept into the book. Maybe it was not too well written and came across differently to some readers, but again, the effort to include something out of the ordinary is appreciated.
This is the second book I have come across with past life regression and I do think that each author will write about this topic differently. I do feel that past life regression is a topic that is on the fence for many people. Either you believe it is possible or you believe that is not. I appreciate the inclusion of a topic like this in novels. Kudos to the author for including it!
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

At the beginning of the book, I felt like it was an interesting concept but as the book progressed and more past lives were introduced AND Alex started to have visions as well it started to get a little old. I'm not against the belief in past lives either, I just think the author did not portray past life regression very well.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I can see where you are coming from about Alex taking in Angela's experience so easily... But just as Angela has come back in another time in another form so could Alex right? But since we know that Alex was unaware of Angela the painting or anything else I am a thing that yes fantasy but, I also believe there is something more with Alex as well. I say this because it's had to have been meant for him to be there to witness Angela talking to the picture along with the fact that inthe early chapter he spoke of the thick white fog that appeared and surrounded Angela yet, it was not noticed by any of the other people there just Alex. If not someone carrying the spirit or soul from someone of another time then maybe a spirit soul or whatever entered into him when he spoke of the man in the picture reaching out and he went to cover Angela and felt the shock has he was touched. Then again maybe my opinion on this topic is more based on my own thinking/feelings that I have met or known someone so strongly or for
a much longer time frame this has happened just a couple time in the life of having those feelings upon meeting someone new.
Chelsea N. Hackett
kjarch1228
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjarch1228.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by kjarch1228 »

I think the idea of reincarnation is very intriguing. I don't really believe in it in the way it is portrayed in this novel but it's an interesting concept. I think there were a few things that were a bit of a stretch though.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:32 The concept of past-life regression is prevalent in this story. Was it handled in a realistic way or did it verge into fantasy? When the man's eyes started moving in the painting, I have to admit I started rolling my eyes. I also thought Alex was too quick to take Angela's experiences as fact.
There was a certain jerkiness about the movement into the past life regression narration. I had difficulty remaining swept up in the story. There are several scenes like the eyes moving that just jars with the narrative that is also happening in the twenty-first century.
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

I haven't read this book yet but it's one I'm considering buying. I like fantasy elements in books even if they aren't fantasies. Do you think that the eyes moving was just a figment of the characters imagination or do you think the author was describing it as actually happening? Either way I'm intrigued to read more about this book. Thank you for sharing your views!
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:

joshfee77 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 01:16 Yeah, I have to admit the eyes moving in the painting was a little cheesy. But I guess the author has to depict this supernatural element somehow. It can be a fine line between a subtle approach that works and a more overt (and perhaps over-used) "classic" method that verges on cliche. Alex's belief in past-life regression would have been aided by his initial experience in the gallery. But, if he had never experienced the supernatural before, he should still have been skeptical.
Was it good cheesy in your opinion? I am yet to read this book and am wondering whether I should! Do you normally enjoy supernatural elements in books? Thank you for sharing your opinions about this books!
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:

Ana-Maria-Diana wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 14:18 As it was said before, it is all up to the reader. Considering that we are all surrounded by cyber-space, vampires, zombies, witches and all other supernatural beings and ultra-modern-technologies, both in books and in movies, it is hard to distinguish whether it is reality or fantasy. And I believe that once a reader is accustomed to these "outside" of the ordinary things, it will be very easy to consider the past regressions of Angela something normal.
Did you enjoy the supernatural elements of this book? I like the sound of cyber-space and ultra-modern technologies and I hope the author wrote about them well. Your comment has made me a lot more interested in the book! Thanks for sharing :D
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

When the man's eyes moved in the painting, the scene really reverted to fantasy.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

In my view, past life regression is itself beyond reality. So the element of fantasy prevails in this theme.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Jillpillbooknerd wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 18:48 At the beginning of the book, I felt like it was an interesting concept but as the book progressed and more past lives were introduced AND Alex started to have visions as well it started to get a little old. I'm not against the belief in past lives either, I just think the author did not portray past life regression very well.
I felt the same way. When it was just one past life, I was ok. As things moved along, it became overdone with a second part life and Alex also having past lives. It was just so over the top.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”