Review by jannavalencia -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jannavalencia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jannavalencia.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by jannavalencia -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by jannavalencia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading Toni the Superhero will surely bring back memories of you learning how to read. It is a fun learn-to-read book which contains illustrations that are vivid and colorful enough that it would capture not only the eyes of the children but adults as well. I remembered reading books that are aimed to help develop my reading skills when I picked this book up.

R.D Base in the first book of the Toni the Superhero book series introduces the superhero, Toni in the 30-page book filled with full-page illustrations and brief texts. The series starts with the readers getting to know the protagonist. Toni is introduced as a simple boy that does activities such as reading, drawing and playing aside from being a superhero. Toni is shown wearing a cape and superhero costume and engaging in daily mundane activities. Before being a witness to Toni's heroic deeds, the readers are acquainted with the thought that aside from being a superhero, he also leads a normal life, doing activities that any other child or even, a human being does.

I appreciate how the author created a person of color (POC) protagonist which is Toni because I believe representation matters and it can be a way of celebrating diversity among people of varying cultures and colors as there is limited literature that represents POC characters.

Furthermore, the author also introduces the main character's hobbies and interests that can help the readers relate to the character. The book also includes things that Toni does that young children can look up to and read that can help them in character and personality development such as Toni rescuing animals and helping in household chores. As a reader, I deeply appreciate how the author used different kinds of verbs which can be used to help children familiarize themselves with this particular part of speech as I can remember having a hard time learning about verbs but with this format, I know that children will not have a difficult time as the verbs are accompanied by illustrations that demonstrate the verbs.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because it stayed true to its focus which is to help children learn how to read and catered to its target audience which is children who are just beginning to read. There are also no grammar and punctuation mistakes present in the book. Toni, The Superhero met my expectations of what children's books should be. Fun, educational, and engaging. I recommend this book to children who are having a hard time learning how to read; This book can help them engage in reading its texts and vivid and colorful illustrations.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like jannavalencia's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”