Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Post by bookowlie »

thaservices1 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 17:20 I did NOT like this book. I give it a rating of 1 out 4 stars and that only because I know many people enjoy the romance genre much more than I do. I found the official review to be misleading after finishing this novel. It is in no way a mystery/thriller, it is a romance. And honesty I think it was pretty cheesy.
The reason I labelled it a mystery/thriller in my review is because that is the way the author categorized it on Amazon and the OBC review list. In the review, I also mentioned that although the book is classified as a thriller, I didn't find a high level of suspense in the story. I don't consider the book to be a romance novel even though it has romance in it. The central plot is about tracking down the missing painting so it is a mystery. Mysteries often contain other elements - in this case, romance, paranormal, and historical.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Summernnko
Currently Reading: Bound
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summernnko.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by Summernnko »

I must say what intrigued me most about the book was the idea of treasure hunt, it seems very thrilling to me. What kind of put me off was the whole world war prologue I feel like it's a cliché, but I like the way it fits in to the story. I would recommend this book to art lovers and to people who are learning English-language because the language is easy to understand and it has just the right amount of new words to help someone grow.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

This book sounds like an intriguing mystery. The romance, art history, and paranormal touches should make it even more interesting!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I have not began reading this book yet but
Chelsea N. Hackett
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I have not began reading this book yet but I am very interested in beginning it after reading such great reviews on it. I look forward to read it and come back to post my thoughts of it
Chelsea N. Hackett
AcBoka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acboka.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by AcBoka »

I haven't read the whole book, but from what I've read so far it looks like an interesting story. A history and mystery mix with art included could be winning combination.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I don't think there is anything to recommend about this book. The strong focus on the sex scenes is way too much of a distraction from any "serious" plot the author is attempting. And that plot is fairly weak, in my opinion. The whole reincarnation/past-life regression thing is unrealistic, which is to say, it doesn't seem too strongly based on the actual spiritual beliefs in reincarnation. And there is really very little art history explored here. I have to admit, I don't like lust novels (there's a difference between romance and lust and this one is not about romance). I decided to try this one because the description made me think there would be an attempt at a serious plot AND because I want to raise my points in book of the month forums. Instead, we have a book about characters with an insatiable desire for sex, and a weak subplot about a fake work of art to give the characters something to talk about when they need a quick break from intercourse.
Shehab1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shehab1 »

It is a compelling book actually!, full of mystery and exciting but it also needed to be way real and touchable to the reader's curiosity.
Ebonez_nahmi
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebonez-nahmi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ebonez_nahmi »

Just got the book and wanted to see opinions before i begin reading. I'm less excited now that I know it's got romance and steamy scenes in it. But I'll read it since it was voted book of the month.
If you think learning is tough, try ignorance :techie-studyingbrown:
Ebonez_nahmi
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebonez-nahmi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ebonez_nahmi »

Dael Reader wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 20:11 I don't think there is anything to recommend about this book. The strong focus on the sex scenes is way too much of a distraction from any "serious" plot the author is attempting. And that plot is fairly weak, in my opinion. The whole reincarnation/past-life regression thing is unrealistic, which is to say, it doesn't seem too strongly based on the actual spiritual beliefs in reincarnation. And there is really very little art history explored here. I have to admit, I don't like lust novels (there's a difference between romance and lust and this one is not about romance). I decided to try this one because the description made me think there would be an attempt at a serious plot AND because I want to raise my points in book of the month forums. Instead, we have a book about characters with an insatiable desire for sex, and a weak subplot about a fake work of art to give the characters something to talk about when they need a quick break from intercourse.
Oh no! Just seeing this has made me rethink the wisdom of reading the book at all now.
I really don't have time to waste on a lusty book! Do you think I should still bother reading it?
If you think learning is tough, try ignorance :techie-studyingbrown:
paragon7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paragon7 »

I love the art and I like mystery books but I don't like the history side
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark

Post by Dael Reader »

Ebonez_nahmi wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 07:28
Dael Reader wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 20:11 I don't think there is anything to recommend about this book. The strong focus on the sex scenes is way too much of a distraction from any "serious" plot the author is attempting. And that plot is fairly weak, in my opinion. The whole reincarnation/past-life regression thing is unrealistic, which is to say, it doesn't seem too strongly based on the actual spiritual beliefs in reincarnation. And there is really very little art history explored here. I have to admit, I don't like lust novels (there's a difference between romance and lust and this one is not about romance). I decided to try this one because the description made me think there would be an attempt at a serious plot AND because I want to raise my points in book of the month forums. Instead, we have a book about characters with an insatiable desire for sex, and a weak subplot about a fake work of art to give the characters something to talk about when they need a quick break from intercourse.
Oh no! Just seeing this has made me rethink the wisdom of reading the book at all now.
I really don't have time to waste on a lusty book! Do you think I should still bother reading it?
Dael Reader wrote: Only if sex scenes interest you more than art and mystery.
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

gali wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 00:30 What is your overall opinion of the "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
I just finished reading this book last night. I was hooked from the moment I started it. I will admit that the steamy scenes weren't my cup of tea per say but the intensity of those scenes really did help to convey the strong bond and connection between Angela and Alex that the author was portraying through the storyline. I was intrigued by the art background within the mystery of finding the missing painting. I also like the paranormal aspect of the story. I thought this book was very creatively written. I actually finished the book and then sat here and wondered to myself 'Is the author going to continue to write more books based on the adventures of Angela and Alex doing more mystery solving regarding lost art?' I think it might have the potential to branch out into more stories but I would probably tone down the sexual aspect of the story in future installments. Overall, I would recommend this book to others.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I think it is inspired from The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown (who did an amazing job with his book). The art references and history remarks are not very easy to digest by an unacostomed reader, and I think that for those who have already read the DaVinci Code, the Girl who Knew DaVinci may not be as interesting as the previous one. But overall the book is well written and you won`t waste your time if you give it a try and you can get along with art and history.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

I'd give "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" 3 out of 4 stars. I'm a sucker for romance, and I loved the historical context. I only wish the plot didn't depend on paranormal "visions." Even so, I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to readers who like romance or history.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”